Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Touring
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It was hot in Maryland, but I stuck it out and got the receiver, speakers and sound deadening installed anyway.

• Sound quality is dramatically better.
  • Nav works very well
  • BT microphone is a little bit quiet
  • Sound deadening works pretty good
  • Door buzzing is gone.
  • Looks pretty good

This is my Bill of Materials
  • Pioneer AVIC-X710BT
  • Metra Axxess ASWC Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface
  • Metra 70-7552 Radio Wiring Harness for Nissan 07 and up
  • Metra 95-8902 Double DIN Installation Kit for 2008-Up Subaru Impreza/WRX Vehicles
  • Dynamat 10435 Xtreme Door
  • Infinity Reference 6032cf 6.5-Inch

A few things I learned:
  • Some folks have commented that they had trouble getting steering wheel control to work correctly with the PAC-SWI. I used the Metra Axxess ASWC and it does work. The instructions are a bit confusing, but they ARE correct. You actually have to cut two wires out of the wiring harness, ground one and connect the other to the controller. It auto configures itself.
  • For a new system, you don't need the antenna adapter.The newer subaru/clarion stereo uses the standard connector.
  • Connecting the parking brake lead is difficult in the space provided.
  • Running the microphone up to the headliner is really pretty easy. I mounted it above and to the left of the rear view mirror.
  • The GPS works very well with the antenna mounted under the dashboard.
  • Installing sound deadening (dynamat) is easy and improves the feel of the door. Bass sounds much better because there is NO buzzing anywhere. I think it might just improve road noise a bit. It is very hard to detect. I was surprised that the door kit didn't provide me enough to do both the inside wall and the outside wall. I covered most of the inner side of the exterior sheet metal (inside the door panel) with small strips. I also covered the plastic piece and the lower hole. I left the other holes open because I wouldn't have enough dynamat for both doors.
  • I need to do soundproof the back doors. There is now some buzzing coming from them. Soundproofing is really very easy. It is much easier than installing a headunit.
  • I love the service of crutchfield, but they are overpriced. Wit the great support from this community, you should have everything you need to order your equipment from the lowest price dealer and be successful. I saved over $450 by using amazon dealers.
  • The infinity speakers aren't loud (not efficient). That is fine with me because they are tight and crisp sounding. To my ear, loud means sloppy and noisy audio. If your stereo sounds loud, it is probably because it has poor sound.
  • For some reason, the mute button on the steering wheel doesn't mute the factory tweeters.
  • You can use the standard iPod AV cable instead of buying the Pioneer one.

What I like about the receiver
  • Audio controls are nice. Has a High Pass Filter and good equalizer controls
  • Voice activated ipod control works okay (I am still learning) "Play the artist The Police." will start at the beginning of the Police list. All you need to do is push one button.
  • Blue color matches subaru dash colors
  • sounds great!!!

What I don't like about the receiver
  • FM reception is not as good as the factory radio. FIXED, reception is excellent. See below.
  • Microphone is weak. I may need to try the garmin version that I hear is better.
  • I can't figure out how to zoom out from the map to see a larger area as you drive
  • Plastic bezel doesn't look very integrated with the dash. It isn't unprofessional looking, but it has too many lines on it.
  • You must use the iPod AV cable and this uses the only USB port. You can't just plug the iPod into the standard USB cable to get control and audio.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
188 Posts
Yeah, I know what you mean regarding the heat. Temperatures mid 90's and above for over a week. Not fun.

What was your experience removing the plastic moisture barrier from behind the door panels? I have been holding off installing my speakers and sound deading for fear that the adhesive used to hold the moisture barrier in place would be a total mess with the high temperatures.

I chose to buy RAAmmat (BXT II) rather than the Dynamat product. The price is significantly less and the sound deading properties are supposed to be equal.

I chose Polk Audio speakers for the front and rear. Up front, the db6501 component set, and for the rear db651s coax. I'm hoping to do at least the rear doors this weekend.

Sounds like your setup turned out well. Got any photos?

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
What I don't like about the receiver
  • FM reception is not as good as the factory radio
  • Plastic bezel doesn't look very integrated with the dash. It isn't unprofessional looking, but it has too many lines on it.
I may be able to help you out with these two, not sure if you knew it or not but the 09-10 Forester has a powered antennae booster, you need to connect this wire in order for the radio reception to be better. I'm almost positive its pin 14 and I'm pretty sure it's a blue/yellow stripe wire but it was a couple weeks ago I did this so I'm not positive on those 2 descriptions.

Ditch the plastic bezel and get yourself the new one from japanparts, it makes a world of difference, see my journal for more info http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f115/jkoppees-09-pic-heavy-69950/

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
Pin 14 is the power antenna wire on the older style Subaru radio harness (14-pin pin-out table here).

On the new 20-pin harness, it's pin 9. See 20-pin pin-out here (also see notes towards the bottom about the steering wheel control wires).
SVXdc being the (IMO) resident expert on Subaru wiring trust what he says, I knew pin 14 sounded familiar for some reason

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Touring
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Pin 14 is the power antenna wire on the older style Subaru radio harness (14-pin pin-out table here).

On the new 20-pin harness, it's pin 9. See 20-pin pin-out here (also see notes towards the bottom about the steering wheel control wires).
GREAT! Thanks! I'll try that. I also ordered the aftermarket adapter to see if replacing that would help, but the amplifier seems like a more likely issue.

So i should just attach pin 9 to the bundle of power wires, I think they are red?

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
yes it is a lot, I got it when they were having a big sale so it was less than that but as you can see in my pics the fit is significantly better (IMO)

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
no there should be a blue wire (possibly with white stripe) coming from the back of your headunit labeled ANT or even power ANT, connect it to that.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Touring
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
no there should be a blue wire (possibly with white stripe) coming from the back of your headunit labeled ANT or even power ANT, connect it to that.
It worked! Radio reception is now excellent! Thanks! I love communities like this that help people to work stuff out. I never would have figured that out.

Here are two pics:

·
Registered
Forester
171 Posts
U can fix the zoom problem with the map by doing the bypass look here Avic-411.com look under the F-series bybass hacks mods.
Ur basically just moving the mute wire in the rca harness and gonna ground the wire after u move it. Then also just ground ur light green parking brake wire.
This is what we do at our stereo shop. :cool:
I ll be putting my radio(Old pioneer D-3) in tomorrow in my new 2010 Forester so this thread has helped thanks. If ya have any questions on the mod just ask i have done alot of these navi unit installs.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
glad we could help. When I finally figured that out and fixed it on mine I was sooo much happier

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Touring
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Some more critiques of the AVIC 710BT:

• The voice response system is kind of buggy. I am wondering if getting the better garmin microphone that some folks recommend might fix the issue.
  • Bootup times are a bit slow
  • It seems to be having some issues connecting with my iPhone 3G with iOS4. This could be an iPhone problem, but perhaps Pioneer needs to do a firmware patch. On a few occasions, I have had to reboot my iPhone so that it could be recognized by the head unit.
  • Listing-out artists or tracks on my phone can be slow. when I select the letter I want to jump to, it can take ten seconds to jump there. Again, this could be an iPhone problem. I DO have 14GB of music across 2,500 songs.

I am still pretty happy with the unit, though. It was relatively cheap, it has a touch screen and a nice ipod interface. I really don't like the single line ipod interfaces. They are difficult to use. The sound with the relatively cheap speakers I put in is far superior. The nav works pretty darn well...even if it occasionally picks odd routes.

·
Registered
Forester
171 Posts
If ya go into the AV settings and go to VR mode turn that off and it will read ur Ipod alot quicker. With that setting on it just updates the reading of music on ur ipod.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Touring
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If ya go into the AV settings and go to VR mode turn that off and it will read ur Ipod alot quicker. With that setting on it just updates the reading of music on ur ipod.
yep, I tried that. That prevents the VR database update every time you bootup, but it doesn't speed-up the display of songs and albums.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts