Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT 4EAT-VTD
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I installed my Perrin TMIC today, replacing a STi USDM unit.

The Perrin is monsterous compared to the STi unit, and much heavier too. I swapped the hoses and elbows from the STi to the Perrin and it dropped right in. The Perrin came with hose and fittings to replace the hard line that bolts to the front of the STi unit, and that worked out fine too.

Also, the Subtle splitter worked out well with the Perrin. It could be about 3/4 inch wider to better fit the Perrin, but not a big deal.

The lower pressure drop through the Perrin was immediately obvious with improved off-boost throttle response. Going into boost felt smoother - perhaps due to the larger internal volume of the Perrin. I'm sure the Perrin will also be a big help once the weather turns warmer.

Next up is a GMS turbo inlet, afterMAF hose and a snorkus delete. Once that is done I'll be heading back to EFI Logics for a few pulls on the dyno and any tune tweaks to get the most out of the new mods.

Edit - here are the photos. Please excuse the messy engine bay as the New England winters make it tough to keep the car clean.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT SOLD
145 Posts
Hey time out! I told you that I was building my car kinda like yours. My STi TMIC arrived just today.:icon_biggrin: Now you are telling me I need to upgrade already.:icon_question: I am going to the dealer to get a new VF48 next week.

·
Premium Member
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey time out! I told you that I was building my car kinda like yours. My STi TMIC arrived just today.:icon_biggrin: Now you are telling me I need to upgrade already.:icon_question: I am going to the dealer to get a new VF48 next week.
STi TMIC works just fine with VF48!

The Perrin just works a little better. :icon_wink:

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,758 Posts
You decided to buy new ? How much are you going to pay ?

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT SOLD
145 Posts
I have had no luck with a turbo I can use with the Cobb map. I need to be able to install with the Cobb VF39 map and drive it a few hours for a tune. As far as I can tell this limits me to the VF39/43/48. My local dealer will sell me a VF43 or VF48 for $939. I guess that is the game.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
89 Posts
I installed my Perrin TMIC today, replacing a STi USDM unit.

The Perrin is monsterous compared to the STi unit, and much heavier too. I swapped the hoses and elbows from the STi to the Perrin and it dropped right in. The Perrin came with hose and fittings to replace the hard line that bolts to the front of the STi unit, and that worked out fine too.

Also, the Subtle splitter worked out well with the Perrin. It could be about 3/4 inch wider to better fit the Perrin, but not a big deal.

The lower pressure drop through the Perrin was immediately obvious with improved off-boost throttle response. Going into boost felt smoother - perhaps due to the larger internal volume of the Perrin. I'm sure the Perrin will also be a big help once the weather turns warmer.

Next up is a GMS turbo inlet, afterMAF hose and a snorkus delete. Once that is done I'll be heading back to EFI Logics for a few pulls on the dyno and any tune tweaks to get the most out of the new mods.
Yes, please post some pics.
Where is EFI Logics? I'm from around Boston and I use Dent Sport Garage in Norwood, MA. Great bunch of guys down there.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,841 Posts
I have had no luck with a turbo I can use with the Cobb map. I need to be able to install with the Cobb VF39 map and drive it a few hours for a tune. As far as I can tell this limits me to the VF39/43/48. My local dealer will sell me a VF43 or VF48 for $939. I guess that is the game.
Unless you have a pile of suby bucks laying around that you are purchasing that with, your money with be better spent on an 18g 8cm...

You can drive a few hours without a proper map with any turbo you put on. Just plumb direct manifold to wastegate and drive like a grandma.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT SOLD
145 Posts
So does the Perrin cooler eliminate the rubbing issues with the AC line? If I recall this one is Forester specific right?

·
Premium Member
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So does the Perrin cooler eliminate the rubbing issues with the AC line? If I recall this one is Forester specific right?
Mike, the Perrin is no better/no worse than with the STi TMIC. Some gentle pushing and pulling (bending) on the A/C line gained me plenty of clearance. I also positioned the IC as far forward as possible using a short coupler between the TMIC and TB. The mounting tabs on the Perrin are slotted front-to-rear so there is some room for adjustment.

The Perrin unit I used is STi specific.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
man, that is a nice looking assembly. I would definitely give one of those a serious workout before I'd think of going front mount - - i bet its huge core--coupled with some intelligent ic water spray--would be KILLER.

nice job on that!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts