Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a little documentary of my front door speaker install. Crutchfield had a killer deal on the Eclipse three-way 6 1/2" (SE6500) for half price. They fit the front and rear doors. They also come with the adapter rings and harness adapters (for free). Think I paid a little over a hundred for all four speakers. Anyways, this is how I started.....

First, I removed the tweeter. Just need to pull towards yourself (as you face the door panel) and slightly rotate towards the exterior door handle. I have read the main holding tab is fragile, so I was extra careful. Next, I removed the screw behind the interior door latch handle and interior door handle (see pics). These have little screw covers that are a pain to remove without breaking the little tabs that hold them in (ask me how I know :icon_rolleyes:). Once you get the door handle screw out, that armrest piece can pull straight up (many tabs) revealing two more screws (remove those, too). The connectors on that control piece all have center tabs that need to be pushed down to release them. I started from the bottom of the door panel and carefully started popping it out of the door. Also, had to disconnect the door panel light connector (see pics). After I popped all the plastic hardware free, just lifted up on the door panel until it came off the door. There are two screws holding the door latch handle. Once I removed these, the panel was off - yay!

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I removed the three screws holding the stock speaker in. I can confirm this model, also, has the teeny tiny magnets on the back.:eek: Here are two pics of the old and new stuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Had to slightly modify the adapter rings to get them to fit properly. Drilled a new hole on the top tab (see comparison pic) and trim off a little plastic on the tab closest to the firewall. Used a drill and a dremell tool to do this. The modified piece is the one on the left. Once you modify one side, you can hold it back to back with the other one and make your marks with a sharpie.

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Before I installed the adapter trim ring, I had ordered some speaker dynamat sheets (one for each speaker) which is supposed to quiet things down a bit. This stuff is fairly easy to trim to all the various weird door shapes. Used the circle I cut out to deaden the upper center portion of the door, as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I read about the white plastic (baffle) piece that eventually rattles in the door. I purchased this stuff from Wal-mart to eliminate this future problem. It also makes an excellent sealer between the adapter ring, door and speaker.

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Final finish! I used number 8 by 1/2 inch stainless steel sheet metal screws to affix the speaker to the adapter ring. The door, obviously, went back together in the reverse order it cam apart. These pictures were of the front passenger door. The control panel on the driver's armrest is slightly different, but the connectors still come off the same way.

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I only had time to do the front door speakers today. Imagine that the rear doors are very similar. If I run into any major differences, I will post them here.

What a difference this made!!!!!!!! It is hilarious to fade from the front speakers to the rear. Sounds like going from a full blown orchestra to a tin can symphony!
Looking forward to putting the rear speakers in and the new HU. If the speakers sound this good now, can't wait to hear what they will do with a little more power!

·
Registered
2014 CVT
824 Posts
I only had time to do the front door speakers today. Imagine that the rear doors are very similar. If I run into any major differences, I will post them here.

What a difference this made!!!!!!!! It is hilarious to fade from the front speakers to the rear. Sounds like going from a full blown orchestra to a tin can symphony!
Looking forward to putting the rear speakers in and the new HU. If the speakers sound this good now, can't wait to hear what they will do with a little more power!
i know the feeling, my boat had two speakers, i got one in and turned on the radio, you couldnt even hear the other one,
also you gotta love crutchfield!!!!

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,986 Posts
You will be opening up your door again. Either secure those white plastic baffles or remove them, because they will rattle and it would drive you nuts. Otherwise, it looks good and I am certain it will sound even better.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You will be opening up your door again. Either secure those white plastic baffles or remove them, because they will rattle and it would drive you nuts. Otherwise, it looks good and I am certain it will sound even better.
On my fifth post there is a picture of the baffle. I used the material in that post to buffer between the back of the baffle and the door (thanks to you guys/gals in this forum). Seemed pretty tight when I reinstalled it. I will keep an ear on it, though.:biggrin:

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,986 Posts
On my fifth post there is a picture of the baffle. I used the material in that post to buffer between the back of the baffle and the door (thanks to you guys/gals in this forum). Seemed pretty tight when I reinstalled it. I will keep an ear on it, though.:biggrin:
Oh. Sorry, I must have missed it. Yea, I did something similar. That baffle used to drive me nuts.

·
Registered
2020 Touring
151 Posts
Thanks a bunch Jman for the photo install. This is on my list of upgrades, your photos and text will really help.

·
Registered
2010 2.5x
29 Posts
Had to slightly modify the adapter rings to get them to fit properly. Drilled a new hole on the top tab (see comparison pic) and trim off a little plastic on the tab closest to the firewall. Used a drill and a dremell tool to do this. The modified piece is the one on the left. Once you modify one side, you can hold it back to back with the other one and make your marks with a sharpie.
Thanks for the post Jman. I'm getting ready to place an order myself (been waiting for warmer weather for the install) and wondered about those speaker adapter rings.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts