Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT MT
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my RS buddy come over and help me do a brake install today. This was my first time working on the brakes. I would say it's just as easy as changing the oil.

Here is the parts list:
Axxis/PBR Ultimates
  • Front D929 RU
  • Rear 109-10040 (D1004)
Goodrich SS Lines
  • 24215 (01-04 WRX & STi Kit)
ATE Superblue Brake Fluid

Tools I used:
Wrenches
  • 14mm - Bolts on the caliper
  • 12mm - Bolt on the front brake line, banjo bolt (i think...)
  • 10mm - Front bleeder valve
  • 8mm - Rear bleeder valve
10mm Flare nut wrench:!:
Cup to catch the brake fluid
Tube to fit over the bleeder valve
Pliers - Brake line retaining clips

About the install:
All of the parts fit perfectly. We used a little less than a can of brake fluid.
I would suggest the speedbleeders if you don't have any friends to help bleed the brakes.

We were surprised with the amount of material left on the stock pads. Up until today, I thought I had a heavy braking foot.:think: Those suckers can definitely go another 30,000 miles! (anybody want my used stock pads?)

Once the brakes have had time to bed properly, I'll post again with comments on the difference in braking. I chose the Axxis Ultimates because I feel they perform better most pads out there and I'm not concerned about dusting.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Lucky, i need to do something about my brakes...
Im thinking of those same SS lines, Project Mu pads since RalliTEK sells them and is local to me, and some fluid

Let us know how big of a difference there is

So this was the 1st time you upgraded your brakes? Youve been autoX'ing and etc on stock brakes this whole time?

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT MT
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jbleee said:
Lucky, i need to do something about my brakes...
Im thinking of those same SS lines, Project Mu pads since RalliTEK sells them and is local to me, and some fluid

Let us know how big of a difference there is

So this was the 1st time you upgraded your brakes? Youve been autoX'ing and etc on stock brakes this whole time?
Yep, I was dodging the cones with a stock brake system. :spinnasmiley
Believe it or not, the only real complaint I had about the stock braking system was the over sensitive ABS.

So far the pedal pressure is firmer, but that could be due to the new fluid and bleeding. I can definitely tell that the pads bite harder and sooner. The real test will be at SFR Round 4 this Sunday.

Since you live further north, make sure that you are install pads that are effective when cold.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
jbleee said:
Youve been autoX'ing and etc on stock brakes this whole time?
I don't think you ever get out of second gear in an Auto-X so I doubt the stock brakes would be a big liability not to mention the runs are pretty short so even the tires probably barely get up to temp.

I am curious to see if your brake upgrade results in quicker times or not. My stock pads at 40K looked to be only worn halfway. I think they're made of granite.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT MT
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NahdaDamdyke said:
I don't think you ever get out of second gear in an Auto-X so I doubt the stock brakes would be a big liability not to mention the runs are pretty short so even the tires probably barely get up to temp.

I am curious to see if your brake upgrade results in quicker times or not. My stock pads at 40K looked to be only worn halfway. I think they're made of granite.
While it is true that I rarely need to shift to third, each run has several braking zones. My brakes do heat up pretty well each run. I can usually still smell them the next morning. :grin:

The tires get pretty hot, too. The guys with Azenis are always spraying down their tires to keep them from getting too hot. :spinnasmiley

Regarding quicker times: I don't expect a huge difference on the first run, but the consecutive runs should be much better. Less brake fade and better fluid will play a key role.

The best way to reduce braking distance is to get more rubber on the road.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just got the axxis utlimate also, with a pair of rotora discs up front, and the improvement is very, very, noticibale!! even when cold they stop the car when needed! I just can't wait to test them with my summer wheels and tires to see their full potential! I still have rear drums and stock brake lines, but feel I could stop on a dime!! I cant imagine what it would be like with rear discs and ss lines!

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT MT
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
canforester said:
I just got the axxis utlimate also, with a pair of rotora discs up front, and the improvement is very, very, noticibale!! even when cold they stop the car when needed! I just can't wait to test them with my summer wheels and tires to see their full potential! I still have rear drums and stock brake lines, but feel I could stop on a dime!! I cant imagine what it would be like with rear discs and ss lines!
it's pretty nice. i am definitely out braking the tires now...:wink:

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT MT
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, I've had the brake upgrades on for over a month now and so far I'm really happy. Somewhere within that month I installed a set of speed bleeders.

The PADS:
Better initial bite. Brake force is really high right from the start. There is also less pedal travel before the brakes start to grab.

Less brake fade.
You have to work the pads REALLY hard to get any fade.
Even when faded, the pads still have a safe amount of friction to stop the car.

Excellent friction cold.
I was worried about the pads effectiveness when cold, but they have proved to be just as good as the stock pads on the first stop.

Quiet. The first stop has a little bit of noise but goes away quickly.

The Fluid, Lines, Bleeders:

Better brake feel. I lumped these together because they all work together to provide a solid pedal. Those speed bleeders are like GOLD!

Less frequent bleeds. The higher boiling point means the fluid in the calipers doesn't need to be bled as often.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts