Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

61 - 80 of 110 Posts

·
The Sub kit guy
13,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
When I do my next install I'm thinking I might try to make some very accurate templates and put together a DIY kit. The kit would include the precut MDF, RAAMmat and all that. Screw it in, seal it up and your good to go.

·
Official sf.org decal guy
12,516 Posts
When I do my next install I'm thinking I might try to make some very accurate templates and put together a DIY kit. The kit would include the precut MDF, RAAMmat and all that. Screw it in, seal it up and your good to go.
Thats a good plan. I still haven't figured out how to get the damn siding off.

·
Registered
653 Posts
You probably need to re-enforce the fiberglass with some Bondo maybe. It's a lot of pressure. My single 8" Image Dynamic with 300Watt would move the body panel. You can see it from the outside!

hahaha.... i'm in san bernardino. i wouldn't mind helping you out, but it was really a huge pita... especially with the fiberglass. if you went without the fiberglass like the other guys with just the raamat.. it won't be nearly as bad. i was just concerned with the stuff flexing with the sub, but i think i made the fiberglass with some leaks anyway, so i guess so much for that solution! where are you located?

·
Registered
950 Posts
A mass production enclosure will not fit the needs for all subwoofers. Therefore, the enclosure should come with a list of recommended subwoofers. Also, a good rigid fiberglass enclosure will have 4-5 layers of fiberglass mat, which is important if you do not use bracing.

·
The Sub kit guy
13,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
A mass production enclosure will not fit the needs for all subwoofers. Therefore, the enclosure should come with a list of recommended subwoofers. Also, a good rigid fiberglass enclosure will have 4-5 layers of fiberglass mat, which is important if you do not use bracing.
An MDF/RAAMmat kit would allow for some various in area size and would be very cheap to put together. Most 8" subs require .3-.5 Cu. ft of airspace, so it is rather easy to adjust things to fit that range. A good fiberglass enclosure is just too expensive and time comsuming to produce.

The MDF/RAAMmat option might not be the most ideal enclosure, but when working with such an odd location it is the cheapest and easiest to do. Plus the results are rather good IMO.

·
Registered
298 Posts
You probably need to re-enforce the fiberglass with some Bondo maybe. It's a lot of pressure. My single 8" Image Dynamic with 300Watt would move the body panel. You can see it from the outside!
excellent idea! i never thought of that! :chair: i've always read about people using bondo to smooth out the exterior of it to make it nice and smooth before they paint it, but didn't ever think of using it on the inside! i'll have to try it out... see if it makes a difference. thanks. :Banane35:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am doing this but with my Kicker L7S12" (square kickers but 12") And will be fiberglassing these. I'm probably gonna have to make it protrude alittle out of the trim and reupholster the sucker but I don't mind as long as it looks clean. Todd I'd be willing to help you sometime.

·
The Sub kit guy
13,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
He did both sides. I was curious as to what he would do for the passenger side grill.

The passenger side is REALLY tight. I doubt the sprayer would fit. You have about 5.5" to work with and that would be pushing it.

What are the exact dimensions of the sprayer bottle? What I would consider doing is sealing up the pocket and using it as the sprayer bottle. You could have the fill cap right there where the opeing use to be.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
That second shot looks weird. Is that of the passenger's side?

Can anyone please tell me the depth from the grill to the metal on the passenger side? I want to install my STi intercooler sprayer there.

Thanks.
Yep, that's the passenger side. Had to figure out how to get a cover to cover it. Ended up using the oem grille sideways to get it to fit. Thought that it looked better than cloth covering and still showed of the sub behind it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Got my sub kit (left side only) in a couple of weeks ago. Very well put together kit (thanks Sea-Scooby!) and sounds excellent, although I think I'll have to pull the window trim off at some point and RAAMat it as it does rattle that window a bit when it's cranked up! A second sub would be cool but I probably won;t go there to be honest as I find the pocket pretty handy for storinging a few tools that I want easy access to.

This is the JBL GTO804 Sub that I used:

And here's the finished install:

·
worn out cams
901 Posts
Very good work, Sea-Scooby, Tre36, and Singincanary.

Question for any of you guys: did you reverse the polarity on one of the two subs? I imagine if the subs are firing against each other, there would be some sort of phase cancellation, and loss of sound?

S

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Very good work, Sea-Scooby, Tre36, and Singincanary.

Question for any of you guys: did you reverse the polarity on one of the two subs? I imagine if the subs are firing against each other, there would be some sort of phase cancellation, and loss of sound?

S
Not only would you want to work with the phase / polarity between the two but you would also probably want to delay one of them to work on the time alignment.

What is the sepeartion width between the two??

·
Registered
826 Posts
Can anyone please post the maximum mounting depths on each side? From what I've read, the passenger side is good for an 8" woofer with a maximum depth of about 5.5"? Also, from what I've read, the driver's side is a bit larger? I'm just wondering if I should go with a pair of 8's or just one 10" on the driver's side. Harmonically, I'm thinking the single woofer would be better than two directly-opposed woofers, even across the open space of the Forester's hatch area.

·
The Sub kit guy
13,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
If you want to hide it behind the upholstry, 5" is the max depth you can use. I've installed a few 10" in that location, but they are a poor fit. The cones hit the upholstry. If don't mind trimming the upholstry and mounting the speaker on the outside, you could get away with a 5.5" deep speaker.

I personally have dual 8" JL audio subs in my XT and I love it.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I mentioned this project to my brother who used to do installs for Circuit City. He's pushing me to get a 10" Kicker CVR; he says they're shallow and almost as good as the L5's.

61 - 80 of 110 Posts
About this Discussion
109 Replies
44 Participants
Vlafond
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing