Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Road Warrior
2005 Outback Wagon 2.5i
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday I did it...... I installed a 2001 cluster into my 1999.

It went well. I had to of course run wires and install the outside temp sensor. I had to also solder in a ground wire with diode into the cluster harness.

It looks great, I love the red pointers, and works great. The red pointers almost glow, it just looks so sexy, LOL.

I am very pleased with the success I had.

Bob

Before:

After:

After:

After:

After:

After:

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
178 Posts
Bringing this back from the dead, but hey, I did use the search function :)

I'd like to know where you got the information about the wiring and all that? I'm looking to do it the other way around (98-00 cluster in my 01).

That might help some folks like me looking for cluster swap information!

·
Road Warrior
2005 Outback Wagon 2.5i
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just added a diode from the 99 cluster wiring sub-harness into the 2001 cluster wiring sub-harness, plugged it all in and it worked perfectly.

I would guess going the other way.... All you would need to do is source a 98-00 cluster with the cluster sub-harness and plug it all in. The wiring is pin for pin the same, except for the outside temp sensor wires. The earlier sub-harness just wouldn't have the wires going to the cluster.

Why are you putting in the earlier cluster? It has less features than the newer one.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
178 Posts
I'm looking at a JDM STI cluster with 240km/h that was from a 98-00

Do you think that just swapping the gauges from one cluster to another would work?

·
Registered
1998 Forester S turbo MT
4 Posts
another hallowen grave digging.

the plugs are different pre lift / post lift?
you just have to aquire newer plugs, and connect the coresponding colors from the old ones witch you cut off?

we have a 98, and the cluster is from 2001.
also, where is the diode you mentioned?

·
Registered
1998 Forester
19 Posts
@BTI_Bob I'd like more info on this too. I like the look of the face lift cluster better. Not to mention the added features.

The part that confuses me is the diode on the additional ground wire. If it's a ground, why is the diode needed?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts