Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT MT
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed the Whiteline steering rack bushings today. I've been meaning to do this since the steering has been getting a bit sloppy but didn't have the "memory" steering like some forester owners have experienced.

The old bushings were worn thin at the top. To my surprise, the pasenger side bushing had holes!

The HOLES.

Cost:
$28 OTD at Speed Element/MPJ here in the Bay Area. (We are soooo lucky to have all of these tuners!)

Install:
Pretty straight forward. There is a .wmv file out there with the install. Get it.;) Took me 30 minutes.

Review:
Everything they say is true. At first I was a bit skeptical about the improvement in steering. I can honestly say there is a dramatic change in steering response. The dead zone is gone and the steering is more precise. Just set the steering wheel up for the turn and hold on!

I was also experiencing some pulling to the left during hard acceleration. The new bushings have reduced this considerably. I expect the pulling to completely go away once I replace the rear control arm bushing.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,053 Posts
I did mine yesterday. I have about 48K on mine and they were in very good shape. I've edited the pics but have not had time to put them up yet (I have a test run tonight at 3am gotta hit the hay soon) The steering feels a little tighter but I did not notice a huge difference. These are what mine looked like.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT MT
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Peaty said:
I did mine yesterday. I have about 48K on mine and they were in very good shape. I've edited the pics but have not had time to put them up yet (I have a test run tonight at 3am gotta hit the hay soon) The steering feels a little tighter but I did not notice a huge difference. These are what mine looked like.
No holes eh? Pleiad7 changed her steering rack bushings and they were pretty worn, too. Maybe you didn't experience same degree of change in steering response because your stock bushings weren't as worn?

·
The Modfather
8,053 Posts
That would be my guess, it could also be because I live in KS, not too many turns ;)

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
Peaty said:
That would be my guess, it could also be because I live in KS, not too many turns ;)
Then get off the pavement and mash the gas to oblivion. I bet a case of Guiness you would be stoke.:p I personally notice the big difference at higher speeds.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,472 Posts
Northwest Tan said:
No holes eh? Pleiad7 changed her steering rack bushings and they were pretty worn, too. Maybe you didn't experience same degree of change in steering response because your stock bushings weren't as worn?
Yeah, mine had holes in them when they were removed at 30k. :eek:

Then again, I think it's pretty safe to say that the roads here are a little twistier than the ones in Peaty's neck of the woods... ;)

·
The Modfather
8,053 Posts

No pavement but no turns either :)

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT MT
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Peaty said:

No pavement but no turns either :)
LOL I fell out my chair.:p

The bushings are just part of the whole front suspension package. I'm running a bigger front bar and solid front end links. This is probably why the benefits of stiffer steering rack bushings are more apparent.

·
Registered
261 Posts
My bushings looked pretty much the same as the above picture with 24k.

I wish I lived in a lace with dirt road like that. Here in NYC, most action happens to be avoiding crazy drivers and potholes.

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Hmm, I sometimes notice a pull to one side but not sure if that has to do w/ the bushings...but maybe I will do this mod b/c it is fairly cheap.

·
Fear the Gorilla!
181 Posts
Northwest Tan said:
Installed the Whiteline steering rack bushings today. I've been meaning to do this since the steering has been getting a bit sloppy but didn't have the "memory" steering like some forester owners have experienced.

The old bushings were worn thin at the top. To my surprise, the pasenger side bushing had holes!

The HOLES.

Cost:
$28 OTD at Speed Element/MPJ here in the Bay Area. (We are soooo lucky to have all of these tuners!)

Install:
Pretty straight forward. There is a .wmv file out there with the install. Get it.;) Took me 30 minutes.

Review:
Everything they say is true. At first I was a bit skeptical about the improvement in steering. I can honestly say there is a dramatic change in steering response. The dead zone is gone and the steering is more precise. Just set the steering wheel up for the turn and hold on!

I was also experiencing some pulling to the left during hard acceleration. The new bushings have reduced this considerably. I expect the pulling to completely go away once I replace the rear control arm bushing.
Believe it or not mine were worse than these...they were ugly!! I had a little trouble doing mine I had to loosen the rack all the way and slide down the steering shaft bolt to get some play in the rack. All in all took about 2 hours going slowly and listening to the football game[ go steelers].

·
The Modfather
8,053 Posts
AFAIK yes they will.

·
Registered
16 Posts
will the whiteline rack bushings for imprezas fit my my03 forester? i've been scouring the net for these and there are 2 part nos. KSR200 and KSR202. which one's fo me? thanks!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts