Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2010 FXT Auto4
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this deceleation noise that sounds like a grinding from the front of the car,some days you can alomost feel it through the floor. It is more noticable going down a hill at 2100 rpms foot off gas 4th or 5th gear.As soon you touch the gas the noise stops.A mechanic said it could be the Input Shaft Bearing.What is an input shaft bearing and problem that should addressed quickly? It's been going on for long time.I had it into the dealers three times,the last changed changed to Redline fluid and this did not help.Any Ideas if the input bearing could be the problem or maybe another problem?

·
Registered
2006 Forester LL Bean Auto
205 Posts
My '98 4EAT makes that noise and I know it's the front diff. on it's way out. I can grab the inner CV joint where it connects to the transmission and I have excessive play. You may want to check that out on your car.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,071 Posts
The stub shafts are not rigidly affixed in the transmission, they are floating. I would be willing to bet the movement you have is normal.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
Sounds like a heat-shield rattle or something to me. Probably not trans related. The input shaft of the 5MT is supported on 2 huge honkin bearings, and a guide bearing. Unlikely that either of the huge bearings would fail without a whole bunch of other symptoms, and the guide bearing would make noise all of the time if it were bad.

·
Registered
2006 Forester LL Bean Auto
205 Posts
The stub shafts are not rigidly affixed in the transmission, they are floating. I would be willing to bet the movement you have is normal.
That's what I thought but when I was under it tonight the passenger side moves a bunch more than the drivers side. That's also where my noise is coming from. Almost sounds like a loose wheel! (but I checked all of them).
It's almost 1/4" of movement and my '00 OBW wasn't like that at all.

It's strange. I'm going to remove the axle and see if the roll pin or spine is damaged. Maybe something obvious is loose and I'm just not seeing it.
Only 101,00 on this car and it looks like it was really taken care of.

·
Registered
2010 FXT Auto4
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My car has just recently developed some more symptoms.A high pitched vibration that resonates from to front end,right side, at certain rpm's most noticable at 3000 rpm's in 3rd gear,only happens stepping on gas but once you take off it stops.Any ideasif this is related to my deceleration noise?May Front Diff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts