Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
CAI choices

tony321 said:
Anyone has one of these installed in their xt and can post performance/sound differences they noticed when installed?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/INJE...38634QQitemZ8047899905QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD2V

I've looked at Perin, Injen, AEM and others on ebay. One of my co-workers who does a lot of mods on his cars and occasionally races, said that most CAI's are similar. He recently purchased a CAI from Cosmo Racing and recommeded that I get one for my Forester XT.

http://cosmoracing.com/productinfo.asp?cid=150&pid=1221
 

·
Recovering Modaholic
Joined
·
1,304 Posts
I think Jake (dizizjake) has dyno plots before and after w/the injen. He's sponsored by them so its probably a good idea to shoot him a pm.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,113 Posts
I installed one just before having Richard at dyno-comp reflash with ecutek. I previously had just the SNORKUS removed. After installing the Injen, I did NOT notice any gain in power, but did notice a nice increase in sound. When getting the tune, my baseline map showed poor A/F ratio in the higher RPM range.

I believe COBB when they say unless you have larger turbo, removing norkus gains about the same HP as aftermarket intakes. Sounds so much better with aftermarket though and then there is the bling factor. They look pretty cool!
 

·
Registered
2004 FXT
Joined
·
830 Posts
When you say poorer AF ratio, do you mean excessively lean ? What was the ratio exactly ?

If you were running lean, then it means that the intake DOES work... although, without a tune, could actually be dangerous without a tune

keyser soze said:
I installed one just before having Richard at dyno-comp reflash with ecutek. I previously had just the SNORKUS removed. After installing the Injen, I did NOT notice any gain in power, but did notice a nice increase in sound. When getting the tune, my baseline map showed poor A/F ratio in the higher RPM range.

I believe COBB when they say unless you have larger turbo, removing norkus gains about the same HP as aftermarket intakes. Sounds so much better with aftermarket though and then there is the bling factor. They look pretty cool!
 

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
Joined
·
8,052 Posts
I put one on a WRX once. At that time the whole thing was one section and a puzzle to get in. A couple of watch outs. You really can't see the filter to tell if it's dirty or not w/o going through a lot of trouble since it's in the fender. Also, his filter fell off and he didn't notice until we are not sure how much later. But I'm sure I put it on tight. Eventually he took it off because he thought it was too loud. One other thing to look out for is that rubber mount on the fender snapped in a week or so and the pipe started banging around. There is a lot of weight on that one spot. I just lined the opening with a split section of fuel line though.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,113 Posts
twg said:
When you say poorer AF ratio, do you mean excessively lean ? What was the ratio exactly ?

If you were running lean, then it means that the intake DOES work... although, without a tune, could actually be dangerous without a tune
I do not have the dyno chart with me, but I will post the A/F Ratios, through the RPM range, when I get home this evening.

It is hard for me to tell you with any accuracy what the Injen did vs stock, or vs the Snorkus Removal cause I didn't base line dyno before and after the intake install.

I believe it does work, vs stock, but you might see a very similar gain as with the Snorkus removal.

And unless they reset the ecu before running a baseline dyno for Dizzijake, Injen can not say, for certain, the Intake alone provided X number of horsepower increase. A tuners trick is to reset the ecu so the midline setting are restored. Especially in areas where lower octane premium fuel is used.
 

·
MY BBEAST
2016 SUBARU FORESTER 2.5i AUTO-MATIC
Joined
·
714 Posts
Good point.
But Injen did not reset my ecu when they did the base run dyno. Its 100% stock. I was there when they were making that CAI.
keyser soze said:
I do not have the dyno chart with me, but I will post the A/F Ratios, through the RPM range, when I get home this evening.

It is hard for me to tell you with any accuracy what the Injen did vs stock, or vs the Snorkus Removal cause I didn't base line dyno before and after the intake install.

I believe it does work, vs stock, but you might see a very similar gain as with the Snorkus removal.

And unless they reset the ecu before running a baseline dyno for Dizzijake, Injen can not say, for certain, the Intake alone provided X number of horsepower increase. A tuners trick is to reset the ecu so the midline setting are restored. Especially in areas where lower octane premium fuel is used.
 

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
Joined
·
4,167 Posts
Maybe we can get someone from Injen to comment on this product? What is MR technology anyway as promoted on their site?

www.injen.com
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,113 Posts
I think a lot of the initial hype of bolt ons is the audible difference, not necessarily the power difference. But when tuned to optimize those bolt on's, that is where you see where your money went. Richard at dyno comp said he was impressed by the 70 lbs ft increase in torque he got when tuning, and commented it was a combination of the intake and exhaust mods. He said he could edge it up a bit more with a full TBE, so thats whats next.

dizizjake, what are your impressions of the Injen Exhuast? How loud is it? I really like the sound of the Helix systems and I am leaning towards them, or the Stromung, but I love the quality of Injen products. Their quality is why I bought the CAI for the XT.
 

·
MY BBEAST
2016 SUBARU FORESTER 2.5i AUTO-MATIC
Joined
·
714 Posts
Well, as we speak, The full TBE system is in the production process. I love the sound of the exhaust system, its not too loud, and its sounds good inside the cabin as well. DOHCammin drove my car a few even before the serious mods in my car.
Let me try getting a comment from Injen RD's.

keyser soze said:
dizizjake, what are your impressions of the Injen Exhuast? How loud is it? I really like the sound of the Helix systems and I am leaning towards them, or the Stromung, but I love the quality of Injen products. Their quality is why I bought the CAI for the XT.
 

·
Registered
1994 Miata MX-5 5MT
Joined
·
1,887 Posts
the injen exhaust isnt very loud. its hard to give a comparision against other exhaust cuz everything else is either loud or subtle. it would be between the sound of a cobb tuning exhaust vs a HKS hi Power for example. its not too quiet but its not loud.

here's a pic of my Injen CAI:



Opinion of the intake myself: I love the intake. butt dyno wise, there is a noticable improvement. not one complaint about the intake at all. but I do love the sound of the turbo spooling. :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,113 Posts
ne0stai2dust said:
the injen exhaust isnt very loud. its hard to give a comparision against other exhaust cuz everything else is either loud or subtle. it would be between the sound of a cobb tuning exhaust vs a HKS hi Power for example. its not too quiet but its not loud.

here's a pic of my Injen CAI:



Opinion of the intake myself: I love the intake. butt dyno wise, there is a noticable improvement. not one complaint about the intake at all. but I do love the sound of the turbo spooling. :D
Nice wrinkle finish!! I went with the polished, added some "Under Hood Bling". I love the sound, and I am a firm believer in the colder, denser air is better than warmed up air.

On the Exhaust, looks like a Stromung XA Exhaust :biggrin: is located and will soon be in transit!!! Thanks for your input.
 

·
Registered
1994 Miata MX-5 5MT
Joined
·
1,887 Posts
alright. if these dyno graphs help you guys on A/F on the Injen CAI.





hope that helps a lil guys. and thanx again for the comment about the wrinkle finish. I had that custom done for me. :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,113 Posts
I got slammed with a busted water pipe last night and never got a chance to post. Will have my A/F ratios up this afternoon.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,113 Posts
OK, here is A/F ratios for the baseline tune and after tune. Mods on car consisted of Removed Resonator in mid-pipe, APS Axelback, and Injen CAI. My XT is also a 4EAT.

Baseline:
RPM
2K = 14:1
2.5 = 14:1
3K = 13.6:1
3.5 = 14.1:1
4K = 12.4:1
4.5 = 11.8:1
5K = 12:1
5.5 = 10:1
6K = 9.5:1
6.5 = 9.5:1

You can see, from the above, I was lean from 2750 up to 5200 RPM, especially around 3500 where most of the torque is generated.

With Tune:
RPM
2K = 14.4:1
2.5 = 14.1:1
3K = 11.2:1
3.5 = 11.2:1
4K = 11.2:1
4.5 = 11:1
5K = 10.8:1
5.5 = 10.6:1
6K = 10.5:1
6.5 = 10.4:1

I think the CAI is worth the money, but you really see the power after getting a tune.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,113 Posts
ne0stai2dust said:
you mean richer.
Thought the Air Fuel ratio was the ratio of Air molecules to fuel molecules. 15:1 would be 15 parts air to 1 part fuel.

Before the tune, at 3.5K I was running 14.1 parts of air to 1 part fuel, compared to after tune of 11.2 parts of air to 1 part fuel, which means before the tune I was running more air, or a leaner mixture.

Or am I off on this?
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top