Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 XS
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I live in the Washington, D.C. area. The local dealer qouted me $700 to replace a rear wheel bearing. This seems high based on what others have been charged so I'm looking for an independent shop to get a second opinion. If you know of any good shops, let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Mark

·
Registered
2003 XS
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Do you like tackling DIY challenges, learning more about your vehicle and save some money at the same time?
Timing belts, brakes, springs, shocks, bushings, head gaskets, heads. You name it. I've done it. But this is more than I'm willing to tackle in the church parking lot without a second vehicle. I also don't want to buy the special tools required for this job. Have you replaced any wheel bearings? Can you speak from personal experience? Maybe I'm overestimating the procedure?

British-American in Columbia is as honest as the day is long.
Thanks! That's exactly the information I was looking for.

Mark

·
Registered
06 Forester
389 Posts
Timing belts, brakes, springs, shocks, bushings, head gaskets, heads. You name it. I've done it. But this is more than I'm willing to tackle in the church parking lot without a second vehicle. I also don't want to buy the special tools required for this job. Have you replaced any wheel bearings? Can you speak from personal experience? Maybe I'm overestimating the procedure?

Thanks! That's exactly the information I was looking for.

Mark
i do have experience in replacing wheel bearings and have done my fair share of work in building a stout solid axle. its just tedious work.

But this is more than I'm willing to tackle in the church parking lot without a second vehicle. I also don't want to buy the special tools required for this job.
ahhh, now this completely changes the whole scenario. I lived in an apartment before and there's too much hassle with the neighbors and the local police since you cant really work in private parking lots. plus the tools needed add up to the expense.

i think this one gets a pass to the local mechanic.

hope you get a good price on it!

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,889 Posts
Fellow mod BAC5.2 would recommend Andrewtech in Gaithersburg. He's worked there. They are a Subaru performance type place.

IAG in Westminster has also been recommended here, through that's getting kind of far away for you.

·
Registered
2003 XS
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, bbottomley. I'll check them out. Gaithersburg is very close.

How has your 2003 XS held up? I have the same year and model but with the 4EAT (unfortunately). Wheel bearing issues? Head gasket issues? Anything I should keep an eye out for?

Thanks, again.

Mark

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,889 Posts
My 2003 has been pretty darn solid at over 150k miles. I had a cat replaced under the 8/80 warranty a long while back, and just last month a scary symptom that looked like head gasket but apparently turned out benign. You can read about it here.

Never any problems with wheel bearings.

Edit: Oh yes, clutch a year or so ago. I considered that not out of normal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts