Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Newbie here and I've got the dreaded white smoke issue with my 2004 XT. From the posts and from my (limited) experience, I've narrowed it down to either head gasket or the turbo. I think it's the latter because the radiator expansion tank is still half full and the coolant doesn't seem to be contaminated, and the oil (dipstick) seems clean and at a reasonable level. However, there is a black greasy residue in the tailpipe, and the white smoke does have a very slight blue tinge on hard acceleration.

My hope is that forum members can suggest some good independent mechanics in the Fairfax area. I've seen the posts recommending good ones in Gaithersburg and Columbia, Maryland but I prefer to avoid having to tow beyond the Fairfax or Northern Virginia area. (Is it OK to continue driving in this condition? My concern is fouling the catalyst and O2 sensors.) Anybody have an opinion about Advanced Automotive in Chantilly, VA?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2003 XS
176 Posts
I'm taking my car into AndrewTech Automotive in Gaithersburg, MD, today so they can replace a bad wheel bearing. I'll let you know what their service is like. I hear good things and my conversations with them on the phone have been really positive. They are a performance oriented Subaru shop (they build 700hp STIs and stuff) and have lots of experience with turbo applications. I wouldn't be concerned about ruining the cat. You aren't going to ruin the cat driving 30 miles or less burning a little bit of oil. Just make sure your oil and coolant levels stay above the low marks and you should be fine.

Mark

·
Registered
2005 forester xt
243 Posts
the oil level is not over full,correct.
2 most likely causes.

1=turbo
2=cracked piston lands.

if that turbo is leaking.dont let it come apart.know you will start sending metal through out the motor.fix it now or it will cost more.the turbo wheel shaft will sieze and come apart.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks moengel and subaru tech (oil level is normal). I had the vehicle flatbedded to AndrewTech today. Their passion for Subarus is rather apparent from my conversations with them. Will update with diagnosis and results.

·
Registered
05 FXT 5MT
63 Posts
Yup, Mach V would be closer. AndrewTech definitely has FXT experience, though!

Hope it's the turbo :( (Plenty of locals, such as myself, have TD04s for sale).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts