Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2005 XTEn Auto
1,139 Posts
Just feeling my way into this mod. Mine has three relays that are held to the side of the fuse box with a plastic fittings, not a lot of room to get your hand in. Do these pull off from the fuse box or how do you free the relays.

Thanks Max.

·
Registered
13 Forester XT Premium CVT
84 Posts
The little white plastic rings holding them in have a releaseable clip. Just don't use too much force or it may snap.

·
Registered
13 Forester XT Premium CVT
84 Posts
further to this; I obtained a little device to prevent excessive battery discharge similar to the ones mentioned above. It cost me AU$33 from Battery World in Collingwood, Melbourne, Australia.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
Just wire the power of the socket to a 12v constant signal. Use the wire heading to the clock or something.

It never really bothered me enough to change it.

·
Registered
2007 2.5 X Prem
1 Posts
I have a MY07 and found six black rectangle relays on the right and two more on the left of the fuse block. They seem to be clipped in with ears on both sides and I haven't yet gotten one out to test which of these would be the rear accessory relay. Has anyone figured out which is right the right one in this MY? Any advice for getting one out of its socket?

·
Administrator
13,779 Posts
For camping & short stay purposes, I have another way to keep power at the outlets. I had a plain metal key cut and use it to turn on the accessories. It won't start the car of course; and the car can be locked.

The original reason I got this key cut was to keep in my shorts when swimming and hide the ignition key inside the car.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
10 Posts
Hello,

Has anyone done this to the 2009 Forester? If so, which relay and pins do you jump?

TexGX
I'm with you...I have an 2010 Forester 2.5X Premium and I think it is very annoying not to have a "hot" accesory outlet! :evilatyou: Not sure how to do it on the 2010 though. Mine does not look like the others pics. Any ideas out there? :shrug:

·
Registered
2008 Forester Sports XT
40 Posts
again, protecting the battery is more important than the convenience. i wouldn't do this without the auto cut-off device.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,427 Posts
The same question regarding an SH model came up in another thread recently, and nobody was able to provide an answer there either. The mod that Bobby (2.5x_sleeper) came up with for SG did not apply. The relays were all different.

It's going to still take a while to sort out the differences.

·
Registered
2008 Forester Sport 5 sp
21 Posts
OK, old thread but here is how to make the console and rear outlet on all the time on an 08. As mentioned before, fuse box has a number of rectangular relays on the right side and 2 more on the left. The lower one on the left is the one on mine. Verify it by turning the ignition on and off and feel the click. Remove the relay and jumper as described in earlier posts. On mine it was the two copper colored tabs on the relay that needed jumpered. There are 4 total. You want to jumper the 2 wide ones together. If there is any doubt you can verify with an ohm meter from the lighter socket to the relay socket. Of course this would still be for low current applications and make sure you have an extra fuse too. Now I can plug in my LED light in the cargo area and not have to fiddle with the ignition. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S 4EAT
418 Posts
Reading through this thread, I notice there's no mention of how to do this with an SF. Has anyone? I'm definitely interested in the lighter being always-on.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts