Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing I really dislike about my shiny new 06 FXT MT is the fact that the cigarette lighter outlet is tied to the ignition key. Turn the car off, the outlets are off. Or, when you're getting to a Shiny New Clutch, stall the engine, and the outlets get vampired to death by the starter motor. In the front of the car, these power interruptions make my Garmin Streetpilot 2720 go through a power cycle/reboot. I haven't tried it yet, but I suspect that I'm not going to be able to use my 12 volt "flashlight" unless the key is switched on.

Has anyone tried rerouting the feeds for these outlets to bypass the ignition key requirement?

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,363 Posts
I unplugged the "rear accessory power relay" and installed a jumper across terminals 2 & 4 of the socket in the car. This way the outlet in the console & rear are ALWAYS on. (Does NOT affect the Cigarette lighter socket by the ashtray)

I can recharge my cell phone, PDA and notebook even with the car off. I leave my cell or PDA in the front storage compartment, out of site, or the Laptop in the rear with the cover pulled. Works well.

Mine is an 04, The 06 may be in the same place. It is right above the Inside Hood release. The relay looks circular and has a reddish connector on the wiring harness. I simply unplugged it and put a jumper across pins 2 & 4 of the connector, then tapped it back, out of the way, to the wiring harness.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
It is done that way to protect people from draining the battery. What if you buy the Subaru Accessory refrigerator and leave it plugged in? Your battery will be dead in a very short time.

I agree though, not very convenient.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
123 Posts
relay on my 05

ferret said:
I unplugged the "rear accessory power relay" and installed a jumper across terminals 2 & 4 of the socket in the car. This way the outlet in the console & rear are ALWAYS on. (Does NOT affect the Cigarette lighter socket by the ashtray)

Mine is an 04, The 06 may be in the same place. It is right above the Inside Hood release. The relay looks circular and has a reddish connector on the wiring harness. I simply unplugged it and put a jumper across pins 2 & 4 of the connector, then tapped it back, out of the way, to the wiring harness.
Just went looking on my 05 and found two round relays mounted on the left side of the block of fuses and relays above the hood release. Neither has a red connector. Can someone help identify which one is the "rear accessory power relay".

·
Registered
06 XSL Automatic
404 Posts
ferret said:
Is there a way that supplies some back up power like a UPS does - some sort of large capacitor or battery - so it will eventually cut the power to the sockets off, without draining the car's battery? This will itself be charged while the car is running.

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,363 Posts
On the MY04 it is a red connector. It is the LOWER of the 2 relays. the one closer to the Hood Release. Try unplugging it then see if with the key 'on' you lose power to the outlets to verify on newer vehicles that this is the same relay. If it is just jumper Terminals 2 to 4 and maybe you can tell everyone else what color the connector becomes on the newer models.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
123 Posts
I did it.

Ok, I did it on my 05. It is the lower round relay. The connector looks white to me but then my color vision is not perfect. The terminals to jump on the connector are numbers 3 and 4, and not 2 and 4. That is based no the markings on the relay that has two diagrams. One diagram shows the numbering pattern of the terminals, and the other is the operational diagram for the relay. A piece of advice. Make sure you tape up the jumped connector very good before you start moving it around. Real easy to hit a ground with it.

·
Premium Member
2006 Forester L.L. Bean yes
147 Posts

·
Registered
13 Forester XT Premium CVT
84 Posts
hi. I'm thinking about having a go at this too. I have a MY06. I just need to clarify; it's the lower round relay, seems like pins 3 and 4. Do I pull it out, bridge the pins, then plug it back in, or not plug it back in? It seems I have to remove part of the plastic surround under the steering wheel to get access.

·
Registered
84 Posts
mission successful

Hello, I successfully completed this mod today on my Aus MY06 Forester. The wiring plug is red on mine, and pins 3 & 4 are the right ones to join. Some pictures FYI (sorry about the blurry pics). You can see the relays on the right of the fuse block in the first picture. There were two round relays on the right of the block, but I have temporarily removed the lower relay in this picture and you can see the red plug behind it.

As you look at the red block with the tab at the top, the lugs to connect are the top right and bottom right, as indicated on the side of the relay (pins 3 and 4) if you pull it out.

Note that I also spotted a green plug and socket under there (fifth picture) which I thought I had accidentally knocked apart, however plugging them together caused the engine indicator light to flash, so I unplugged that. Anyone know what it is? Something to do with emission control?

Cheers,
Mud

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
footnote: the accessory outlets are on the same fuse as the power mirrors (at least on my MY06 XS). Test the power mirrors after the mod to check you haven't popped the fuse (as I did).

btw, why does this thread keep disappearing??

1 - 20 of 42 Posts