Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Premium MT
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I picked up my sage green 2010 Premium 5MT (I loathe automatics) with 15 miles on the clock from Riverside Subaru in Little Rock: Rob the salesguy was good to work with, the atmosphere was BS free and 3.9% money isn't bad.

I wanted to avoid the Interstate for break in purposes so I went home via Highway 10 until Havana when I took 309 through Mt. Magazine State Park which includes a significant elevation gain and loss; then to 71 north. I filled up before I left, drove like I usually do and managed 29.2 mpg (measured - a bit less than indicated) over 217.5 miles.

Excellent results for a new engine... I'm going to like this vehicle.

Mike

Bentonville Arkansas

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,830 Posts
Welcome and congrats. I have a 5MT too. 1st gear is pretty short,huh? Its a pretty close ratio box with fairly short final drive (I think 4.11:1) but the boxer engine is a revver and loves it in midrange and upper rpm, but also has nice low end torque for a four cylinder. So the short ratios are a non issue for the engine.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,937 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Congratulations on the new '10 Forester! Post up a picture so the forum members can look it over. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Forester
114 Posts
Got the same color, also a 2010. I named mine The Green Monster. Welcome, this is a great place to learn more about all things related to the Foz.

GO DUCKS!

·
Registered
2010 Premium MT
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its a pretty close ratio box with fairly short final drive (I think 4.11:1) but the boxer engine is a revver and loves it in midrange and upper rpm, but also has nice low end torque for a four cylinder. So the short ratios are a non issue for the engine.
I forgot to mention the impressive torque in my OP.

ISTM it's substantially better (for my style of lower end of the powerband operation, anyway) than the inline four cylinders I'm used to.

Is that a fair assessment of a benefit of horizontal piston opposition?

And thanks to all: I like the comparatively low signal to noise ratio of this forum very much.

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,251 Posts
Is that a fair assessment of a benefit of horizontal piston opposition?
I don't think in general a horizontally opposed engine gives any benefits as far as torque/rpm. Those are determined by stroke/bore/rod ratios, etc.

Chief advantage is low center of gravity and ability (due to the shorter engine length) to allow symmetrical awd.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts