Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled on this a while ago:
DealExtreme: $72.30 8-LED IR Night Vision Vehicle Safety AV Camcorder (SD Card/ DC12V/24V)
and it's lesser original counterpart:
DealExtreme: $68.50 8-LED IR Night Vision Vehicle Safety SD Card AV Camcorder (DC 12V/24V)

It's specs:
- Clearly records the last moments before an accident for proof of liability
- Extremely useful when claiming insurance
- Features 8 IR infrared LED emitters for night vision illumination
- Works day and night
- Comes with red laser sight for view angle/video shotting alignment
- Features a 1/4 color CMOS camera with night vision capability
- Records at 640 * 480 pixels resolution, 30 FPS (frames per second)
- The included lithium battery pack allows the camera to continue recording for up to 2 hours even when ignition is switched off or power is lost
- Automatic looped recording (new video automatically overwrites the oldest recordings)
- AVI video format
- An 8GB card holds approximated 4 hours of recorded video (Card sold separately)
- Records sound and audio along with Video
- Date and time display function on Video and Pictures
- Built-in SD/MMC slot supports memory cards up to 32GB in size
- Comes with cigarette stock power car charger, car windshield/dashboard mount, 1 x 800mAh rechargeable lithium ion battery pack, AV/TV-out cable, and English user's guide
Affixed to the windshield, it's low-resolution camera outfitted with IR LEDs is capable of recording a series of two minute AVI videos (the purpose of this is to erase the initial files when space is running out) during night or day; however, it costs too much and the camera doesn't work too well (sample videos in second link).

Does anyone know of something similar or could think of a way to create something using off-the-shelf devices with a friendly budget?

I would like something that utilizes an array of cameras in all corners of the car, along the sides, and the front and rear (total of 8) so that we can capture anything that may occur while we're driving AND away from the car. While away, the system could operate on battery power until the battery runs dry (recharges when car is turned on again) or on solar power (to recharge battery and/or to run the system while car is off). While driving, the driver would have the option to record or just to view a camera, such that the corner cameras could even be used to check adjacent lanes for passing ability.

I would think a carputer could accomplish this WHILE driving, but afterwards?

Hmmm... Ideas anyone?

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
Does anyone know of something similar or could think of a way to create something using off-the-shelf devices with a friendly budget?

Trust me, as someone who likes to play with camcorders and record driving.... this is pretty cheap for an all in one. 2-3 years ago you were looking at $500 to start.

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Trust me, as someone who likes to play with camcorders and record driving.... this is pretty cheap for an all in one. 2-3 years ago you were looking at $500 to start.
Dangit!! :shrug: <-he's doing a "I got no money!" pose, not a shrug

·
Registered
06 Forester
388 Posts
so are you going to buy one? :biggrin:

need to see how well this works..

how about building your own? 12 volt dvr unit that records on memory card that has 2 or 4 video inputs...

·
Registered
84 Posts
AVI format can be burned to DVD directly, no conversion.
Tap to a always on fuse (add a fuse) can provide 4 hrs non-stop video after car's parked.

Seems review is not so good.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
4,322 Posts
They use something like that in the taxi cabs here in NYC. Its to record passengers. There are a lot of robberies of cab drivers, so I guess this is to deter them.

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so are you going to buy one? :biggrin:

need to see how well this works..

how about building your own? 12 volt dvr unit that records on memory card that has 2 or 4 video inputs...
No, the reviews and sample videos show that it's not worth the cost, so probably won't buy one. I want to build my own, so I need some ideas concerning equipment from you guys.

AVI format can be burned to DVD directly, no conversion.
Tap to a always on fuse (add a fuse) can provide 4 hrs non-stop video after car's parked.

Seems review is not so good.
Don't really want to drain the car's power though. Which is where the solar power thing comes into mind, charging a rechargeable battery in the unit while it's plugged in, and using the battery when it's not.

They use something like that in the taxi cabs here in NYC. Its to record passengers. There are a lot of robberies of cab drivers, so I guess this is to deter them.
Yeah I remember seeing them but I wonder what systems they use and if it can be run when the car is off.

·
Registered
2010 Forester M
97 Posts
while your at it, one of them could be a reverse cam. I can definitly think of ways to do it but none of them will be as cheap as you want.

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, I show that in my MSPaint masterpiece above :)

Well, throw out your idea.. maybe we can find cheaper components to bring the price down as long as we have the basic concept down.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
There is a guy on NASIOC who has a set up in his car that is tied into most every thing. Turns on for XX number of seconds when the shock sensor for the alarm is triggered, any time ignition switch is on it starts recording(front, rear, dash, maybe more). I remember reading the thread as he busted the dealer lot guys with the system while they were pounding on his car after some work was being done.

Can't find the thread but he had links to the video taken by the system of the guys pounding on it.

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
^^ If that's the kind of setup you are looking for I ran somthing simular a few years back with my Legacy GT. I set up multiple cameras to record through a single security monitor then output into a PVR. I believe the one I had took up to 4 cameras at once, you can go crazy and get 8/16 but that won't look good on the screen. Setup is pretty easy if you've done any car audio before. Most of the work is just channeling the wirng and keeping it clean.

I changed it up a few times, typically cameras watched Driver/Front/Rear. You can adjust how the video displays, full screen/split screen/Picture in Picture... Here's some video of the Winter Snowcross series I competed in. :

YouTube - Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - MCO Winter Slalom March 04 2006 Run 04

YouTube - Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - MCO Winter Snowcross March 04 2006 Run 05

YouTube - Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - MCO Winter Snowcross March 05 2006 Run 03

YouTube - Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - MCO Winter Snowcross March 05 2006 Run 05

YouTube - Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - MCO Winter Snowcross March 04 2006 Run 01

·
K.I.T.T. meet A.L.I.C.E.
2008 Forester XT 4EAT
837 Posts
My system was just GPS based and much more simple, but it still managed to catch a dealer tech in some shenanigans.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts