Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2007 FSXT
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the pros and cons of having a Impreza CB vs a Forester Specific CB?

Are there a lot of fitment issues with having an Impreza one?

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
Some FXT-specific exhausts will have a larger muffler and will be quieter. The front hanger bracket on the axleback will point the correct way and be useful. The axleback piping won't hang too low past the diff.

WRX exhausts are easier to buy used and sell, you can also find a good quality piece for a decent price since most Impeza kids want the cheaper (crappier) parts.

Stan

·
Registered
2007 Forester Premium
1,923 Posts
I know they fit and what not but didn't know the forester specifics would be bigger and quieter. I want a stromung, prodrive, or maybe a custom cb with magnaflow. Would the impreza model be loud/annoying?? I heard foresters with them and they sound good. How much louder are they?

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT 4EAT-VTD
2,145 Posts
I know they fit and what not but didn't know the forester specifics would be bigger and quieter. I want a stromung, prodrive, or maybe a custom cb with magnaflow.
Take a look here. It may be more than what you want to spend but in this case, you definitely get what you pay for!

·
aka DMax in Alaska
'06 Mini Cooper S JCW 6MT
787 Posts
...a custom cb with magnaflow.
My son did a custom CBE with a MagnaFlow without the resonator on his '99 Forester S.

I could hear him from a quarter-mile away. Our dogs learned the sound and were hearing him farther out; it is funny how they know.

The setup sounded great but was loud for a daily driver. He often complained of the droning at highway speeds. He has since changed it back to stock.

For me...I am going with the Maddad system; Turbo Back.

·
Registered
2007 Forester Premium
1,923 Posts
Canon, $679 for a full cat back is pricey but not absurd. I watched bestials drifting vid plus others and it sounds amazing.

bjcarter2- I def don't want a loud obnoxious DD. lol Bobby had his done and he likes it. From what he's posted, quiet with rumble until FOT. I am looking for a daily cruiser with character and rasp. I guess with a custom exhaust, its like a gamble.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
I know they fit and what not but didn't know the forester specifics would be bigger and quieter. I want a stromung, prodrive, or maybe a custom cb with magnaflow.
The FXT Prodrive is larger and quieter for sure. I had a WRX-fitment one and drove another members' car with an FXT-fitment one, his was larger and quieter. Mine sounded better though :icon_biggrin:

Stan

·
Registered
04 XT
318 Posts
+1 on getting a Forester specific CB. The original owner of my XT put a WRX turbo back on and it melted the bumper because it wasn't long enough. And when I put on a receiver hitch, I had to take it to an exhaust shop to have them relocate hangers. Now it hangs so low it hits stuff every day. I would have gotten a Forester specific CB long ago; however, it's a 3 piece system so I can't just use any CB.

**So now that we've covered the CB question, can anyone comment about a wrx/sti aftermarket DP working with a Forester specific CB? For example, if I were looking for a turbo back system, could I save $ by getting a used DP for a WRX?***

·
Registered
2007 XT - 5MT ELH, EWG, E85, Kinugawa TD06SL 20G 8cm
1,589 Posts
+1 Forester specific or you will have to live with burnt bumper fascia plus more noise due to the shorter canister, and less clearance, due to pronounced axleback bend pointing to the ground. I am getting mine modified which will cost me about $150, so do yourself a favor and get a Forester specific one (ie MadDad)

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,106 Posts
The difference in fitment is nothing that a qualified exhaust shop can't fix for $20. Re-weld one hanger, extend tip.

·
Registered
04 XT
318 Posts
The difference in fitment is nothing that a qualified exhaust shop can't fix for $20. Re-weld one hanger, extend tip.

Keep in mind that when I went in to have my hanger moved none of the shops would touch it unless I also put in a cat. So 20 + 150 if you don't have a cat. And now that my hanger is in the right place it hangs really low. Just get a Forester setup and be done with it.

FWIW, I'm in the process of buying a proper Forester setup. If anyone wants my hack-job, welded, scratched, dented, and catted WRX setup let me know.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,106 Posts
^^Weird, my exhaust shop didn't give me any such hassle, and I live in smog-nazi land (CA). Granted, my TXS stealthback included a hi-flow cat, but that is still in no way considered legal here either.

Maybe things have gotten considerably stricter since I had this done 6 years ago. We had to go through a similar hassle when we replaced the cat on our 98 last year. Evidently you can't use aftermarket cats from out of state anymore, they have to be OEM, or the exhaust shops aren't allowed to weld them in.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts