1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Impreza 5 speed
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
been having sporadic key fob issues
I have a 2008 Impreza,last year the fob stopped working,got a new battery and it been sporadic since then.
I got another new battery yesterday ,then followed instructions to reprogram the fob.Everything seemed to work ok,got all the bells,chimes and flashing lights,,,fob still not working correctly.
When its not working,the ignition bell goes off when opening the door,, there is no key in the ignition.Also headlights stay on,when they would normally go off when key is taken out.
This AM it did not work,I drove to the store,it worked,,came back home,back to not working.
Wondering if its the fob or something in the car???
very annoying
thanks very much
Sharon

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,750 Posts
@AIR2008 I see this is your first forum post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

On the Forester SG... '03-'08, when the remote battery is replaced, reprogramming is not required. The Owner's Manual says to press the lock or unlock button 6 time to synchronize the units. :wink:

I'm going to guess you could have 2 different problems, one with the remote fob & one with the ignition. :confused:

I've never heard of this problem on the '08 or earlier Forester, but take a look at this thread to see if the problem sounds like what you're experiencing?

Ignition key problem - micro switch workaround

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

Reactions: AIR2008

·
Registered
2008 Impreza 5 speed
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bobby
Guess if I had read the manual ,I would have noticed that :) Yes my Impreza has the same set up,press the lock/unlock button 6 times.Unfortunately still not working.Heading to mechanic tomorrow-hes thinking its a loose wire in the ignition switch
Very unhappy with local dealer-they quoted me $115 to reprogram the fob

·
Registered
2008 Impreza 5 speed
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi again-
took my car to my mechanic,,he said he saw a major recall on 2008-2017 Imprezas and Foresters. There is a brake light switch that can lead to ignition problems.
The dealership doesnt know anything yet
so we wait

·
Administrator
38,750 Posts
That link I posted on my previous post is the only ignition switch issue I'm aware of & I don't believe there was a recall on that.

As to the brake light switch.
There are issues on the later models, but that has to do with all the magic... electronics, which your '08 doesn't have.

Does your mechanic believe the issue with your remote fob & the ignition switch are related? :confused:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Administrator
38,750 Posts
Reactions: AIR2008

·
Registered
2008 Impreza 5 speed
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry,just saw this
yes,my mechanic thinks its related,or maybe something with the alarm system.
It is now doing it all the time (was intermittent ) Have gotten a new battery for fob,put graphite in the keyway,but have not disconnected the battery -dont want to deal with that
Ive resorted to locking all doors,opening drivers door then locking it with the key,,,a pain but no $ to sort this out now
thanks for your suggestions

1 - 7 of 7 Posts