Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2000 s-turbo
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently fitted an Impreza rear box onto my Forester. It's a bit too quiet though! I've had the hangers changed on the rear box to fit, and a 3 inch section welded onto the (original) centre section.

My question is, could I fit a classic decat downpipe onto a newage decat mid and then onto the box I have now (classic TSL group N Impreza).From what I've read the newage centre section is longer than the classic mid section. As the rear box I have now would be too short if I just plumped for a classic d/pipe and centre.

If I take both cats out with an aftermarket d/pipe and mid I'm assuming it will actually be a bit noisier?

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,871 Posts
According to your profile info (helps if you put this in a signature :biggrin:) you have a 2001 S-Turbo.

If so you should already have a newage exhaust system as the MY01 SF forester changed when it was made OBDII (EOBD) compliant.

MY00 has ignition leads and a single ignition coil on the inlet manifold.

MY01 has individual plug top ignition coils.

Once clarified may be able to advise based on whats already fitted.

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,871 Posts
First registered in late Nov 2000, on an x plate.
Still doesn't clarify the situation as the MY01 model first comes into the country around Nov2000

Just check under the bonnet..............plug leads MY00;no plug leads MY01
Also VIN will have KD3YG in it for MY00 or KD31G for MY01

Simples................:biggrin:

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,871 Posts
vin has KD3YG so a MY00? :D
OK you have a MY00 with the classic three piece exhaust, the centre pipe having been extended to use an impreza backbox...............

From what I've read the newage centre section is longer than the classic mid section
Its actually the other way around, the newage mid is shorter at approx 126cm in length (to accomodate the second cat in the downpipe section), the classic some 75-80mm longer.

Posts 37/38 in this thread...........

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...-finally-falling-into-place-50834/index3.html

Removing both cats will make it noisier but also MOT "unfriendly".

·
Registered
2000 s-turbo
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, I assumed that as the dpipe on the classic was longer then on a newage a decat centre on a newage would be longer to compensate. Is there no way of mixing and matching decatted sections instead of cutting and welding to fit?

I'm not worried about MOTs :)

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,871 Posts
On both the classic and newage exhausts the centre pipe to backbox joint is in approximately the same place.

You could use a "one piece" decat newage down pipe( combines downpipe with second cat pipe) with a classic centre pipe but all the hangers would be out.

Most people who fit an Impreza back box, just lengthen the tail pipe out of the box and use longer hangers.
The front flange may also need rotating (which would probably have been taken care of when you altered the centre pipe).

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/463517-post9.html

·
Registered
2000 s-turbo
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bit of a PITA all of these adjustments. I've always gone for full decat systems on my Imprezas. Shame I don't know how much louder decatting will be with the current TSL rear. I'll probably just get a full system and modify it, which I know would be louder than I have now. The garage who fitted the rear box had to cut the end flange off of the centre section as it had rusted solid to the old silencer. That's why the mid was lengthened and not the rear.

So am right in thinking just getting classic parts as my car is an MY00?

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,871 Posts
So am right in thinking just getting classic parts as my car is an MY00?
In the main, yes.

An exception...............

The rear strut brace needed for the SF is the GD version. The CG has a smaller bolt pattern and will not fit without some drilling. The GC front bar fits fine though

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,871 Posts
Sorry, didn't understand any of that!
I got the impression you were an Impreza person................

The rear strut brace needed for the SF is the GD version. The CG has a smaller bolt pattern and will not fit without some drilling. The GC front bar fits fine though
One of the exceptions to using "Classic" (GC) Impreza parts on an SF(MY98-MY02) Forester is the rear strut brace.

The GC version can be made to fit but the "Newage" (GD) Impreza one does without modification.

·
Registered
2000 s-turbo
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah right ok. I've owned a wrx then a sti5 typeR, a p1, a uk 22b then a highly modified classic. I've always known Imprezas as classic and newage and not as gc sf etc.

I'll probably modify this to a large extent as stock it's quite a dissapointment.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
That will be the babay turbo and soft cams, turbo is easy to fix, cams not so easy.....

And make sure you are getting as designed boost, the recirc valve is a devil for leaking and capping boost at about 0.3 bar.

Simon

·
Registered
2000 s-turbo
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm getting a new clutch Thurs, some 4 pots with new discs/pads behind sti 16" alloys Weds. Probably do the suspension and braces next week.

What's the most popular Forester mod suspension wise, used new shape wrx/sti stuff, classic front brace and a newage rear brace?

I'll get a vf35 turbo with sti paper filter, full decat and ecutec it. Countdown for an engine rebuild as the mileage is 134k! I don't mind too much as I bought the car for a song.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts