Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Impreza Diesel clattering noise under accelaration..

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  nounounounou 
#1 ·
Car: Subaru Impreza Diesel 2009

Appreciate the audio isn't the best, but the car has started to make a hell of a racket at just under 2,000 when the turbo kits in.

From around 5 seconds on this audio clip is the noise the engine makes under slight load..
Link to Audio - https://drive.google.com/file/d/126JqlMlrF8Zh-u27l...

Does anyone have any suggestions about where I should start?
Car runs completely fine, around 49mpg on a decent run, accelerates OK, just sounds like a bag of nails...

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Ten years old and how many miles?

My first guess would be carbonization of the cylinder head, valves, piston domes and exhaust manifold.
Carbon causes hot spots, an d when in the exhaust, restriction. All will lead to more clatter and detonation.

Does it use oil?
10 years olds, Just under 80,000 miles, I didn't do many miles in it when it was younger.. Do around 12k miles a year now. It doesn't use oil, it's one of the first things I checked. I should change it, it's maybe done around 12k miles since I changed the oil and filter..

Here's an audio clip of it idling if it's any use.. Which doesn't sound too bad, it's more when the engine is under load
Engine under Idle

It's hard to hear the noise without turning the volume up, but the maraca-like sound is in fact my engine..
Engine whilst under load

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.