Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want a srs20 reflashed ecu but I'm pretty sure that reflash is only done on rs ecu's. I need to know which (if any) year ECU from a 2.5rs I can use in my 2003 Forester 2.5x.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oops, just realized I started a thread on this same topic last summer and somehow lost track of it.

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you get any answers in your other thread? I would be interested as well as I have the same year Foz.
Yea, basically the concensus was that it should work, and but it would come down to the plug compatibility on the ECU. I need to snap a photo of the plugs in the ecu to verify. If you have time and want to do that, we could find out quicker. I'm gonna be pretty busy for the next couple weeks and may not have time (I've also got a susp swap to do as well).

If you can take the photo, you may want to just find my old thread and put it in there...maybe some of those guys will still be around and can chime in again.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,088 Posts
I haven't got to this yet on my '03 X AVO Turbo Kit write up, but our '03 X ECM wiring is from a Impresa RS! Totally different from the pin outs on the '03 Forester ECU as shown in the shop manual, as I found out after much reasearch! :mad: I figure some of the earlier '03's used whatever they had laying around the factory! :icon_eek:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2003 XTi Cross Sports 4EAT :(
1,352 Posts
I haven't got to this yet on my '03 X AVO Turbo Kit write up, but our '03 X ECM wiring is from a Impresa RS! Totally different from the pin outs on the '03 Forester ECU as shown in the shop manual, as I found out after much reasearch! :mad: I figure some of the earlier '03's used whatever they had laying around the factory! :icon_eek:

Bobby...

So in your case your Forester ECU was using the Impreza pinout? Interesting, so for you an Impreza ECU would just plug right in?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,088 Posts
So in your case your Forester ECU was using the Impreza pinout? Interesting, so for you an Impreza ECU would just plug right in?
I'm not going to say yes or no, but provide some information so you can decide for yourself. :wink:

The diagrams below show the plugs that plug into the ECM. These can also be called the "pin outs", since the additional pages (not provided here) show what sensor is attached to which plug & which pin on that plug. The upper diagram is for an '03/'04 Impreza RS & the lower one is for the '03 Forester. They look pretty close, until you compare plug B135. I can tell you from experience working on my '03 Forester, that the upper drawing is the way it is. What's interesting is that the lower diagram is from the official Subaru shop documentation & the upper diagram is from the installation PDF, page 21, for the AVO Turbo Kit installed in our '03 X! :icon_eek:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Funny how AVO was the more accurate reference. Good info though, thanks!
Hopefully some time next week I'll have time to take a look at my ecu.

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea I was told by an enthusiast/proffesional suby mechanic that due to differences in the HVAC setup the ECU's would likely not be interchangeable. I also decided to pursue an STi swap but have not had any luck thus far obtaining a donor for what I can afford to spend.

·
Registered
2010 Legacy GT LTD 6 spd
967 Posts
Any chance of getting an impreza ecu to run inline with the forester one to take care of the ignition and fuel? And leaving the 03 x ecu to do its thing with the tranny and the rest of the car.

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
easiest way may be to go with an e-manage or similar and just go get a tune using a wideband. Though going that route you might as well save up a little more and go with an inexpensive low-boost turbo setup (used wrx parts) since you'd need EM and a tune. I'm very tempted to go that route. Probably end up with accel. on par with a FXT.

·
Registered
2010 Legacy GT LTD 6 spd
967 Posts
Would emanage allow you to raise the redline at all? With my delta cams I am pulling still pulling in 2nd when the tranny shifts to third.

More and more low boost sounds better and better.

Guess I need to start saving!!!

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've been trying to get my hands on an STi donor for swap but they seem to be just a little bit too expensive. I think I've given up on it and will just be throwing a turbo on very soon. Not sure about the functions of the emanage. I'm waiting to hear back from the tuner before making an EM purchase.

·
Registered
2005 Base 2.5x foz
896 Posts
Romraider works perfectly on my N/A 05. If you want to/are interested in minimal tuning why not go that route?

·
Registered
2010 Legacy GT LTD 6 spd
967 Posts
Romraider isn't available for the 03 x or I would be all over it, just curious what does it allow you to do?

·
Registered
2010 Legacy GT LTD 6 spd
967 Posts
It looks like ECUflash may work for the 03x anyone want to have a go at it and report back?...probably not, I am willing to give it a shot just need to find a spare ecu and a laptop for myself.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
I have a couple of laptops laying around. If you get an ECU and want to play, let me know.

·
Registered
2010 Legacy GT LTD 6 spd
967 Posts
Sounds good i will be looking, i found a JETperformance ecu tuning for the forester but requires you to send in the ecu and give them all your mods and they tune it for you. But at $308 a pop, a tuning option would be better if you ever wanted to change anything else on the engine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts