Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever imported a Forester from the USA. There's a $11,000 cdn. difference on a 2006 XT forester. $26,000 USA compared to $41,000 Cdn. I think Subaru has to do a price adjustment in Canada.

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
4,252 Posts
algrande said:
Has anyone ever imported a Forester from the USA. There's a $11,000 cdn. difference on a 2006 XT forester. $26,000 USA compared to $41,000 Cdn. I think Subaru has to do a price adjustment in Canada.
Depending on where your located in Canada......there is a dealership that does just that in Toronto......Peninsula Import Auto Center

They do a lot of Subi's!

www.peninsulaimports.com :)

S

·
0 Posts
I do have an aquaintance here who bought his WRX STi in New York state. Went through all the legal hoops and still saved a pile. I'll try to find out which dealer he went to (possibly in Rochester...).

·
Premium Member
03 2.5X 5MT
670 Posts
I've imported to Canada before...my 90 Honda Accord when I went back for graduate school. It is a lot of effort and hoop-jumping. However, a newer (or new) Subie with DRL's, etc. and it may be less of an effort. Expect to get hit with a huge import duty since the vehicle was not made in North America. (Unless the import laws have changed since 1999 or 2000 when I did it).

·
Registered
4 Posts
You need to go to this site and research

http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html

Got my 2005 FXT 4EAT in Bellingham with no taxes paid to US side. Think his name was Joshua. I remember he's from Hawaii because he kept on saying ALOHA everytime he picked up the phone.

The catch in getting a car from the US is you have to pay CASH because no US financing company will finance you if they know you are taking it to Canada.

Also, can't help you on Canadian side taxes because I'm a US citizen in Canada for work...

Good luck.

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
4,252 Posts
I know there are certain dealers in the Toronto area that will find a U.S. vehicle of your choice & import it.......has anyone done this specifically & my questions are........did you save a bunch of $$$$ & how was the experience?

The things that bother me is the U.S. market is offered much more choices & colour combinations than we have in Canada :frown: .....which appeal to me to perhaps consider importing a U.S. vehicle, rather than settle for just whatever we are offered in this country. :x

·
Premium Member
2006 Forester L.L. Bean yes
147 Posts
We successfully imported our 2006 Forester from Michigan into Canada last year (thanks again to the good folks @ Hodges Subaru in Detroit) - but the Aug/07 list of admissible vehicles (p. 8) on the www.riv.ca website now says that most 2008 MY Foresters ("SEPTEMBER 2007 AND NEWER 2008 FORESTER 2.5X, FORESTER SPORTS 2.5X, FORESTER 2.5X WITH PREMIUM PACKAGE, FORESTER 2.5X L.L. BEAN") - but evidently not XTs - are no longer admissible to Canada - any one have any clue why?

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Forester XT
26 Posts
I just imported my '05 XT last month - quite easy to do once you do your homework and their are plenty of websites that explain the importation process. Duty of 6.1% has to be paid if the vehicle was manufactured outside of North America - otherwise it's duty free. And then you have to pay gst as well. I figured I saved about $8000 overall even after the taxes. PM me if you need more info - more then happy to help out.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
Shoot a PM to Legacy, HE's done it twice this year alone. He lives in Ottawa.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=19994
I am a seasoned professional. I plan to wait 5 more years until the next one this time around LOL.

You would think with the US dollar and the Canadian dollar so close in value now they would adjust the MSRP.
Why would they ? For every person like me who imports, 500 people continue to buy in Canada and pay a $10k premium. As much as that sucks if it was my business I'd keep doing it until sales plumetted as well. Wait until the EVO comes to Canada properly priced and eats into STi sales. THat will probably provoke action from Subaru. For the time being, Subaru has lowered its prices $2k "to adjust for exchange rates" RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrright.

According to http://www.cars101.com/canada.html and http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5571487 it's because the X models don't have an immobilizer type key. It has nothing to do with turbo vs. NA.

And yes, its all about the immobilzer, that's the only reason.

·
Registered
2003 Forester X Auto
955 Posts
Also, I was recently informed by a Subie dealer who shall remain anonymous, that Subaru of Canada adds approximately $1500.00 CDN to each vehicle it sells here to cover the cost of advertising. Apparently it's more expensive up here. So what! Most of the stations we get on cable are from the U.S. anyway. It's just another cash grab.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,989 Posts
Subaru of Canada adds approximately $1500.00 CDN to each vehicle it sells here to cover the cost of advertising.
Well they're sure not getting much for their money. While I certainly can't speak for all of Canada, I spend a lot of time in Edmonton and am appalled at the small number of Subies I see there. It ought to be the perfect car for that place.

·
Registered
2003 Forester X Auto
955 Posts
While I certainly can't speak for all of Canada, I spend a lot of time in Edmonton and am appalled at the small number of Subies I see there. It ought to be the perfect car for that place.
I have been to Edmonton quite a few times as well, and have to agree with you as to the amount of Subies there(very few). It would make the perfect vehicle for most of Canada. In Alberta, however, it seems that unless it's big, has 4 wheel drive, and is a pick up, then it does not get much recognition. Think of Alberta as the Texas of the North. My 2 pennies worth.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
There is literally a $15k Cdn difference between the US-Canada price on an XT. Its plain and simple gouging. Buying new in Canada didn't ever cross my mind for a second.

·
Registered
2007 Forester Sports XT Stick shift
303 Posts
I imported my MY07 Sports XT back in april and saved over 10 000 in the process. Now I am helping a coworker import a MY08 Tribeca and she'll save around 15 grand! No brainer really.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
See if she'll agree to buying an 07. They are on clearance and I've seen them marked down several thousand.

1 - 20 of 209 Posts