Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, as many of you know I bought new Rota Torques from image in Motion in Maple Ridge BC (suburb of Vancouver).

I had the wife pick them up and have them mount my stock geo tires. When I opened up the bag there was a chip on the rim.

I called Geordie at IIM and let him know and sent a pic.

His response was a cowardly e-mail:
I got the guys who did the mounting and balancing to take a look at the chip and they're saying that there's no way that could've happened during mount and bal. Our machine uses a nylon head that couldn't cause gash like that, it would cause the metal to be scratched in an outward fashion and would nearly destroy the head of the machine in the event an error occured during mounting. They also inspected each wheel prior to mount and balance to make sure there were nor imperfections.

I'm sorry to say, being that the wheels have now been mounted on your car, there's nothing we can do in terms of refund or warranty.

If there's anything else I can do for you, let me know

I will post pic tomorrow.

I would like to add that I did not ask for anything. I am not a wheel guy and mine will get scratched and chipped while I offroad. I was trying to let him know that there might be an issue with his machine or installer.

This is how he thought to treat a customer.

Next time I will pick wheeldude.com.

These guys clearly have no grasp of customer service.

You have been warned.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,958 Posts
I agree. Very poor customer service. IMO, they should have offerred a discount for the damaged wheel or offer to replace the wheel. I hate it when they only offer excuses! :mad:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
aka DMax in Alaska
'06 Mini Cooper S JCW 6MT
787 Posts
They claim to be a leading distributor of Rota Wheels, you should write a nice letter to Rota and explain to them what their leading distributor is doing to their customers wheels.

My son bought his Rota's from Wheel Dude and he says he had a great buying experience from them.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
hah, I've never had a shop -not- damage my wheels or excessively overtorque my wheels. Not really surprised at all. It's most shop's policy that once wheels are mounted its no longer their problem (unless they bolted them to your car).

·
Fast & Dirty
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got a phone call from Geodie today. Apologizing for how they handled the situation. Apparently, they have had some "bad" customers lately.

I would still be cautious if you plan to purchase from them. It was quite easy for them to call knowing I was not asking for ANYTHING.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,101 Posts
That does suck... I've dealt with wheeldude twice, and my other set was acquired through a local vendor's group-buy.
All tires have been mounted by a local, who lets me watch the whole process. Only once did a wheel get scratched, but that was expected since my BFG's were super stiff and their machine kept popping the breaker trying to mount them. One of their tools left a slight scratch on part of the lip, but it's really not that visible so I'm not concerned.

Post up some pictures though Steve...

·
Registered
00 Honda Civic K24/K20 K20a2
1 Posts
Image In Motion - IIM - Skunk2 Racing - Password:JDM - Mishimoto - Innovative - Work - Rota - SSR - XXR

Well, as many of you know I bought new Rota Torques from image in Motion in Maple Ridge BC (suburb of Vancouver).

I had the wife pick them up and have them mount my stock geo tires. When I opened up the bag there was a chip on the rim.

I called Geordie at IIM and let him know and sent a pic.

His response was a cowardly e-mail:
I got the guys who did the mounting and balancing to take a look at the chip and they're saying that there's no way that could've happened during mount and bal. Our machine uses a nylon head that couldn't cause gash like that, it would cause the metal to be scratched in an outward fashion and would nearly destroy the head of the machine in the event an error occured during mounting. They also inspected each wheel prior to mount and balance to make sure there were nor imperfections.

I'm sorry to say, being that the wheels have now been mounted on your car, there's nothing we can do in terms of refund or warranty.

If there's anything else I can do for you, let me know

I will post pic tomorrow.

I would like to add that I did not ask for anything. I am not a wheel guy and mine will get scratched and chipped while I offroad. I was trying to let him know that there might be an issue with his machine or installer.

This is how he thought to treat a customer.

Next time I will pick wheeldude.com.

These guys clearly have no grasp of customer service.

You have been warned.
I'm really sorry that we couldn't accomodate you and that you weren't pleased with our service... but you did fail to mention one very IMPORTANT fact... it's funny how the SHOP always get's blamed.

Fact: We showed your wife every wheel and tire to make sure everything was in order. She looked at them and agreed.

Fact: She crammed the wheels into a car fulled with childrens toys and other rubble (there was barely any room to fit these wheels/tires). I'm assuming that she might have put a couple of them face to face and from the 9-12 hour drive back to Alberta.. the indent occured.

Please see it from our standpoint.. you called us after you had mounted them on your car as well......

Maybe next time you should have had us ship them securely or pick them up yourself and put them in your vehicle securely.

Good luck and best wishes.

·
Registered
2015 Forester I-Premium 6MT
2,368 Posts
if they were face to face wouldnt another rim have a matching imperfection?

that 100% looks like a prybar screw up... and wives arent known to look that closely at rims.

·
Fast & Dirty
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WOW.

Funny how we always blame the shop...
I did call after I installed them. I called to let them know there was a chip and I WASN'T ASKING FOR ANYTHING (no $$$$). However, before I could finish my sentence I and my wife were to blame and their shop is perfect and never does anything wrong. I then told the kid I wasn't asking for anything but rather they should check their tools. I have never had a chip like this from installing a tire. I hung up.

Perhaps when the guys at the store are old enough to have kids they will realize that a plastic kids toy is not hard enough to chip a rim. Even during a 12 hour drive to Calgary.

ps. real classy letting the woman load the rims.

·
Registered
2001 sf6 now w/choo choo 4EAT
514 Posts
Going online to try and ruin a shops reputation when you have no proof they are at fault...... classy.

·
aka DMax in Alaska
'06 Mini Cooper S JCW 6MT
787 Posts
Reading comprehension goes a long way. HE NEVER BLAMED THE SHOP!!!

He contacted them to advise them of the damage that was possibly created by their machine or the installer.

With a response like he got (an automatic denial) and the way they handled it despite the fact he was NOT SEEKING COMPENSATION, he thought it best to advise would-be customers.

I'd certainly want to know about shops like this thank you very much!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts