it's only got 127k on the odometer
could the rings really be out already?

any help is much appreciated
thanks guys

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts
They could be, but if the engine smells like burning oil, that's not necessarily from the rings. (that would cause blue smoke out the tail pipe) The smell would most likely be caused by an oil leak. Could be leaking from anywhere really (valve cover gaskets, head gaskets, worn hoses, pipes, etc. etc. etc.). I would take a flashlight, put it up on jackstands and see if it's leaking oil anywhere, or if there's any "fresh" looking oil anywhere on the motor or exhaust. Trace it back and try to find the source. Odds are, it's just a minor leak that can easily be fixed with a new gasket or two.

But unless you are getting extreme blow-by, eating a couple of quarts of oil a month, and misfiring like crazy, I don't think you're rings are gone just yet.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,121 Posts
+1 on the valve covers, its probably leaking onto the spark plugs and causing them to possibly foul or misfire hence the check engine light. If the rings were shot you wouldn't smell a thing it would just smoke from the exhaust.

·
Registered
1999 Forester
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the help guys
i put a valve cover gasket on last night
the plug wires were coated in a thick layer of oil so i think that turned on the check engine light

thanks again for the help
it seemed to have worked

·
Registered
1999 Forester
112 Posts
Welcome aboard.

I'm guessing you also replaced the spark plug well seals while you had things apart. Failure of these would cause the symptoms you describe.

Without knowing the vehicle history, it's hard to know the condition of the engine. That said, I also have a '99 with 150K on the odometer. It's uses about 1/2 qt. of oil per 4K miles and has done so since broken in.

If you're new to these engines, a couple of things to keep an eye on: 1) head gaskets, which tend to leak externally from the rear left (driver's) side. 2)Timing belt interval is 105K miles and all 2.5L engines are interference type.

·
Registered
1999 Forester
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks subieho
that's some good info
maybe i'll just throw a timing belt and head gaskets at it before it gets too cold
it is leaking some oil on the left (drivers) side
i haven't really driven it too much since i did the valve cover gasket so i'm not sure if that completely fixed it or not

thank you so much for the help
i'm new to the 2.5 series
i had a 1.8 in a loyale

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,363 Posts
Be certain to check/replace the PCV valve and ensure the hose running to it from the block is not clogged. This is common on the EJ engine series.

·
Registered
1999 Forester
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alright

where is it located?
the pcv valve?
i saw the hose doing the valve cover gasket the other night
but i don't remember seeing the valve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts