Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously not going to find a UHP-Max Summer tire that is quiet, am I?

I've been reading and reading all the tirerack reviews and I just don't think there's a good choice.

... Or am I overlooking something?

I'm coming from BFG KDWs which are much too loud for my tastes, despite having grip I like very much. But I want to retain the grip while losing the noise. I used to be able to hear my stock sound system at 6-7, now I have to do 9 on the highway.

Treadwear is also important, but I'd say grip and noise are #1 and #2, respectively. Oh, and not hydroplaning in the sudden socal rain fury is nice too.

I'm thinking Michellin Pilot Sport PS2s. Yeah? I've always been a Michellin guy, but their sidewalls are soft compared to the competition. Makes for slower turns.. :Banane36:

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yeah I know haha. I was stating what I was using now on the KDWs too. I'd hate to bump it up too much and affect my grip.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
It was a night and day difference going from 36 to 40 with Pilot Sports. Got rid of all of the sidewall flex. I felt it improved grip with those tires. It did ride a bit harshly though.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
I ran Pilot sports for a bit and I thought they were very quiet compared to other equivilent tires. Very expensive though.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
I'm seriously not going to find a UHP-Max Summer tire that is quiet, am I?

I've been reading and reading all the tirerack reviews and I just don't think there's a good choice.

... Or am I overlooking something?
I think it is going to be hard to pick a UHP-Max type tire based on sound..
that isn't really what they are designed for. Tradeoff you make for grip.

plus I don't find the tirerack customer reviews to be all that helpful..
"terrible/awesome/quiet/best" are such relative measures.. I stick to their own testing.

When I had SPTs I never heard them :biggrin:

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was a night and day difference going from 36 to 40 with Pilot Sports. Got rid of all of the sidewall flex. I felt it improved grip with those tires. It did ride a bit harshly though.
Cool thanks for the info!!

I ran Pilot sports for a bit and I thought they were very quiet compared to other equivilent tires. Very expensive though.
Awesome to hear. Yeah I've always had a bias for Michellin Pilot stuff.. seems to always be much more... compliant (and rather long lasting too).

I think it is going to be hard to pick a UHP-Max type tire based on sound..
that isn't really what they are designed for. Tradeoff you make for grip.

plus I don't find the tirerack customer reviews to be all that helpful..
"terrible/awesome/quiet/best" are such relative measures.. I stick to their own testing.

When I had SPTs I never heard them :biggrin:

Yeah I know.. hahaha which is why this thread was born. I was thinking about SPTs.. they seem really decent for the price. Not sure about grip though.. but I should drive less spirited since I got into an argument the other day with my girl about my driving. :catfight:

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
I was thinking about SPTs.. they seem really decent for the price. Not sure about grip though.. but I should drive less spirited since I got into an argument the other day with my girl about my driving. :catfight:
I was happy with the ones I had, they were on my previous car but worked great and lasted 3 summers with no complaints.. when we sold the car they were just through the ecsta writing in the tread.

I get the, "this isn't a rally.." from my wife when I get too enthusiastic..
:biggrin:

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,536 Posts
I had, and really liked the Hankook Evo V12's. DTD has them. They gripped great, were really quiet, especially compared to the Falken Azenzi's they replaced. I was very happy with them as an all around summer tire.

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had, and really liked the Hankook Evo V12's. DTD has them. They gripped great, were really quiet, especially compared to the Falken Azenzi's they replaced. I was very happy with them as an all around summer tire.
DOH! A guy here in socal was selling a brand new set for $250.. should've picked them up but he is over 2 hrs away.

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was happy with the ones I had, they were on my previous car but worked great and lasted 3 summers with no complaints.. when we sold the car they were just through the ecsta writing in the tread.

I get the, "this isn't a rally.." from my wife when I get too enthusiastic..
:biggrin:
Hahaha ok I'll keep those in mind then. A couple of the Corvette guys here run SPTs and love them for their value.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
Tre36 ran SPTs on his 03 X and they were not too loud at all. Not a bad tire for the price!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts