Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
05 XT2.5
1,995 Posts
If you put lower springs on the SLS struts it will try to pump the height back up to where it thinks it should be.

People generally think this is a bad thing but I'm not so sure. When I used to load mine up with a lot of weight and drive too fast I would get nice firm suspension instead of the soggy standard feel.

I'm not sure, however, what this would do to reliability in the long term.

But then if you're prepared to swap them out anyway.....

You could lift doggy into the car as I used to. It got to where even after I'd lowered he couldn't make it. :tissue:

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,014 Posts
AFAIK WRX and WRX wagon struts are the same its just that the wagon rear springs are stiffer and are a better match for the forester - no butt sag.

Although from what you say it would probably assist the poor dog :biggrin:
The WRX wagon struts have a slightly different orientation of the lower mounts due to the narrower track on the wagons versus the sedans. The valving is the same, but the wagon struts give you more negative camber in the rear... at least on a Forester.
As mentioned, the wagon springs are stiffer and better suited to the Forester than the sedan springs. The sedan springs need top-hat spacers (AKA Saggy-Butt Spacers) to help level things back out.

·
Registered
2006 Forester 2.5 XT
52 Posts
I replaced my suspension (i have a 2006 XT) with WRX take-offs (from a 55 plate impreza). I still have saloon (sedan) springs on the rear and it doesnt seem 'saggy'. Rides very well and geometry spot on!

Just keep an eye out on eBay for a decent set of take-offs - lower the mileage the better. It took me 2 1/2 hours to do the rears and 2 hours to do the fronts.

I had considered STI stuff, but glad i didnt. The ride height is spot on and it is definately hard enough for day to day use IMO.

Best of luck :cool:

·
Registered
2004 forester xt
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
If you put lower springs on the SLS struts it will try to pump the height back up to where it thinks it should be.

People generally think this is a bad thing but I'm not so sure. When I used to load mine up with a lot of weight and drive too fast I would get nice firm suspension instead of the soggy standard feel.

I'm not sure, however, what this would do to reliability in the long term.

But then if you're prepared to swap them out anyway.....

You could lift doggy into the car as I used to. It got to where even after I'd lowered he couldn't make it. :tissue:

Once again lads thanks for all the info and im looking at fleabay for a set of 2004 onwards wagon struts and springs ?? unless older ones will fit?...as for picking my dog up and putting him in the car , well its back bracking as he is 40 kgs so if lowering the car doesnt work then a gym membership is on the cards !!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts