Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2004 forester xt
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i am looking at lowering the xt , all i need to know is which is the cheapest and easiest way out? im not looking to put the all singing/dancing coilovers etc on just a way to drop the car about 3" maybe?? thanks very much for any info.
Ps this is so my boxer dog can jump in a little easier as hes getting on a bit and the wife has already given the thumbs up!

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
cheapest and easiest way is to chop the springs but thats not the safest way.

failing that impreza take offs or after market spring set.

be prepared for the harsher ride if you go for pratza suspension, but also be prepared for better cornering.

·
Casper reincarnated
2,245 Posts
Hi, i am looking at lowering the xt , all i need to know is which is the cheapest and easiest way out? im not looking to put the all singing/dancing coilovers etc on just a way to drop the car about 3" maybe?? thanks very much for any info.
Ps this is so my boxer dog can jump in a little easier as hes getting on a bit and the wife has already given the thumbs up!
Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to make a folding ramp covered with carpet (for grip) to save your dogs back and hips when jumping in and out of the car?

It wouldn't need to be anything real heavy or long as long as fitted behind the back seat when folded.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to make a folding ramp covered with carpet (for grip) to save your dogs back and hips when jumping in and out of the car?

It wouldn't need to be anything real heavy or long as long as fitted behind the back seat when folded.
+1, if you're primary reason is to aide the pup in getting in/out of the vehicle, get a dog ramp. You can build your own or buy one. I see people use them for older dogs all the time at the dog park.

·
Registered
2004 Forester
71 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Fox View Post
+1, if you're primary reason is to aide the pup in getting in/out of the vehicle, get a dog ramp. You can build your own or buy one. I see people use them for older dogs all the time at the dog park.
+1

·
Registered
2004 forester xt
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the info guys , as my day job is a fabricator/welder i could make a ramp from aluminium very easy but...as my dog hates bridges,ramps etc i thought it best to lower my car.Mike you say after market springs? but i thought with the sls on my xt it had to be removed completely and new springs and struts fitted?? oh and if any of you guys have what i need thats been chucked in a corner for ever i would be greatfull for first refusal. many thanks Darren

G

·
Lowering the car 3" will completely balls up the geometry beyond a simple alignment, you will need to remove the subframe spacers and fit roll centre adjusters to regain any kind of driveability from extreme lowering.
Max I would go would be 40mm not 75mm..
You need whiteline control or flatout springs..

·
Registered
2004 forester xt
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks AP,40 mm sounds like a plan, so where do i get the whiteline flatouts/control ,how much are we talking and whats the difference between the two?

·
Registered
2004 Forester
71 Posts
You not using your dog as an excuse just to lower your car are you? :p Lol tell that to the cops.. wonder what they would think, haha.

Good luck with it. I would go ramp, by far cheapest option.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
3" isn't too low. Past that starts to be though. 3" puts the lateral links flat and the front control arms at flat as you would want them really.

I say wrx takeoffs. They're cheap, ride decently, and give a nice drop. Not too different from stock, but handles more car like with less roll, a bit harsher over bigger bumps but imo better on smaller stuff. It will give you a little more than 2.5" drop. I went with sedan takeoffs and then threw wagon springs on the rear to make the stance a bit more even (fronts are the same between wagon and sedan).

·
Premium Member
2006 Impreza WRX with PPP Manual of course! ;-)
1,522 Posts
Balance motor sports had a few pairs of Control springs left a few weeks ago... might be worth getting in touch with Justin there to see if there's any left.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
Lowering the car 3" will completely balls up the geometry beyond a simple alignment, you will need to remove the subframe spacers and fit roll centre adjusters to regain any kind of driveability from extreme lowering.
Max I would go would be 40mm not 75mm..
You need whiteline control or flatout springs..
So then you're saying mine should handle like a bag of rotten apples, and that I have balls for suspension geometry now...
I beg to differ, and I'm around 3½" lower than stock.

WRX take-offs will work fine, and will be 40-50mm lower than stock. STi take-offs will put you closer to 75-80mm lower

·
Registered
2004 forester xt
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks again for all the info but im still not clear if i can just put new springs on the same struts as they are self leveling ? I know now that newage wrx wagon shocks(hens teeth)will bolt straight on which is all good if you can find them? but if i do that what about the wire things that i can see on the shocks? i believe they go to a pump of some description?? many thanks for all you comments and patience .

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,896 Posts
but if i do that what about the wire things that i can see on the shocks? i believe they go to a pump of some description?? many thanks for all you comments and patience .
This is what an SG SLS shock looks like in cross section.............(XS - An Australian SG version)

The "wire things" I assume you are referring too, could be either the brake hose or the ABS sensor wire.

·
Registered
2004 forester xt
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for the info Don so to if you were me which route would you go down?? cheers

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,896 Posts
AFAIK WRX and WRX wagon struts are the same its just that the wagon rear springs are stiffer and are a better match for the forester - no butt sag.

Although from what you say it would probably assist the poor dog :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts