Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2000 S-Turbo
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've booked the Foz in to Andy Forrest on the 18th Dec to have it mapped.

That means I'll need to get the finger out and fit all the remaining parts, not to mention giving it a service!

I can't wait!

There goes my £60 for the next few months :biggrin:

A

·
0 Posts
What mods you got planned? as a minimum I would do full decat (or sports cat), TD04, fuel pump and panel filter..
The cams on these things don't like big turbos, I had a VF35 and it was borderline too big to work properly.
Andy

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester Cross Sport AUTO
4,443 Posts
Hear nothing about good things about Andy Forest.

You'll have to let us know before/after & doesn't he map live on the road??

Regards

AM

·
Registered
2000 S-Turbo
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm doing a full decat (H&S backbox is already on), TD04, panel filter (already fitted), Walbro pump, PFR7B's and a larger intercooler.

I also have 4 pots and 295mm discs to fit on the front. The handling has been sorted with a full set of JDM STi shocks & springs (Foz), whiteline ARB, subframe bolts and a full geometry / alignment carried out.

...oh, and I've also fitted a full JDM STi kit (F&R bumpers, skirts but a UK rear spoiler). The alloys are 18s and running 225x45 rubber.

Will I then be finished?...:biggrin:

PS He does map 'live' on the road, normally you drive and he does his magic as you go! I'll take some pics and do a write up of the day. I need to post some pic's of the Foz with the kit on anyway!

·
Registered
2000 Forester S Turbo manual
1,670 Posts
What mods you got planned? as a minimum I would do full decat (or sports cat), TD04, fuel pump and panel filter..
The cams on these things don't like big turbos, I had a VF35 and it was borderline too big to work properly.
Andy
Andy
I have a vf35 fitted , do you think I should look at changing the cams ?
Haven't noticed any bad effects as yet!

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,788 Posts
We have talked about the cams but as yet no one has done it, I believe if memory serves me right, and I am talking about an Stb, plus Simon will know, source V3 heads use forester inlet cam and impreza outlet cam

or

use existing heads and just swop out the exhaust cam

Trying to get my head around why you need to change the heads if you can get away with just a cam swop

try search and see what you get as it has been talked about before

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,788 Posts
JGM maps on the road, just remember its WOT, you will know once he hits the sweet spot and it all comes together as when he says hit it , and you go " oh my g*d" and cant stop smiling

A

·
0 Posts
We have talked about the cams but as yet no one has done it, I believe if memory serves me right, and I am talking about an Stb, plus Simon will know, source V3 heads use forester inlet cam and impreza outlet cam

or

use existing heads and just swop out the exhaust cam

Trying to get my head around why you need to change the heads if you can get away with just a cam swop

try search and see what you get as it has been talked about before
Impreza heads are cheap and come with the correct cams and valves, so just as easy to do the heads I guess.
Regarding the VF35, Nich you have the same heads as the impreza anyway so it will work for you..
My car is much faster with a hybrid TD04 than it ever was with a VF35..

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
right come on guys give it to me straight what should i be spending my 60quid on?
this is the last map i wanna do so may as well wait till i have all the bits i need

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,572 Posts
Coopster,

As AP says the limiting factor of the Forester engine appears to be the cams.

Using an AFP04H turbo I've managed to get nearly 285Bhp and 290LbsFt and no more, even with all supporting mods. It just runs out of puff. (Still need a final run at Surrey Rolling Road to confirm).

As has been said on previous threads, this is about 30Bhp down on what is possible with a similar spec'ed impreza.

By using the VF34/35 it's possible to break through the 300 barrier but the power band is all at the top end.

In order to improve the bottom end performance the options are to fit appropriate impreza cams/heads.

Bugeye cams are Ok, but what heads you can fit depends upon if the MY04 2.0XT has AVCS or not as I believe the heads have additional oilways to accommodate it.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
Impreza 'turbo' (STb/TTb/UK Turbo or WRX) cams will be an improvement but by the time you get the buckets shimmed it may be cheaper to just fit Impreza 'turbo' heads complete from a scrapper.

STi heads (V3/V4) with STi cams are a usefull upgrade over the normal Impreza bits, but only if you use a turbo that can take advantage.

Turbo selection with our cams is also a thorny issue, on the intake our pressure ratio (boost) to flow curve is different to the other engines due to the restrictive cam, on the exhaust as the valve is more restrictive a smaller turbine housing isn't as harmful as it would be on the Impreza (inc STB/TTB) engines, a turbo matched well to an impreza engine is not matched well to ours.

Simon

1 - 15 of 15 Posts