Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I've lived in California all my life and in the not-so-distant-future I'll go through my first cold season in Colorado. I just bought an 06 X.

Do I need to worry about cracking the windshield in the cold weather? Do you need to heat the car first before turning on the defroster in sub-freezing weather? Any tips you can give about operating my Subie in cold weather?

(Yes, I realize that it is still August.)

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring HTCVT
943 Posts
In the Forester, at least with the factory glass, you need to worry about cracking the windshield ALL the time. :icon_wink:

·
German tech
MY16 Audi S3 Sedan DSG 6 speed
3,563 Posts
Doug said:
In the Forester, at least with the factory glass, you need to worry about cracking the windshield ALL the time. :icon_wink:
+1

Even the replacement screen I got has already been chipped by tiny pebbles that wouldn't raise a bruise.

The glass is like butter :eek:

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring HTCVT
943 Posts
Candy said:
+1

Even the replacement screen I got has already been chipped by tiny pebbles that wouldn't raise a bruise.

The glass is like butter :eek:
I had Pilkington glass installed two weeks ago - it is my 3rd windshield in 10 months. Hopefully it is stronger than the OEM stuff.

Welcome to the boards, AlanS; sorry for the tangental bantar but someone will likely be along shortly (who knows more about cold weather than an Arkie or an Aussie) with an answer to your question.

·
German tech
3,563 Posts
I drove two Subaru Legacies as company cars back in the 90's and they used to sit outside in South Island (New Zealand) weather in winter. Temps of 10 C below.

Used to just throw newspaper over the screen to reduce ice.

3 years on each one without issue wrt the windscreen.

I am not sure of the quality on todays Forester but my experience so far says they are worse in terms of glass.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
122 Posts
Does Australia still require regular (non-laminated) glass in windshields? If so, there could be significant differences between US and Aussie windshields. US has always required lamination to prevent full breakout with lots of loose glass. However, Austalia once took the positon that a full shatter and breakout was preferable to the possibility that the laminated glass would crack so much that you could not easily see through it.

·
German tech
3,563 Posts
Laminated. In some cases triple lamination is now used

Since '85 at least

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info, folks! I really like this board.

The way I look at it, the terrific visibility that you get with a Forester is a fair trade for a few cracks now and then.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I wish y'all would quityer*****in about the windshields...I used to drive a Honda Element...talk about a rolling brick. I went through 4 windshields in the year I drove that rig!

**EDIT** Welcome to the board AlanS!!! You'll love your Forester and this board is an amazing source of information!

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring CVT
790 Posts
I have the pilkington glass installed and let me tell you its not one bit better. i have around 7 star cracks and one 14inch crack along the windshield. Im giving up and just going to live with it.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Yea the oem glass and all 3rd party glass is just as bad, maybe it has to do with the specs all the companies get from subaru. Time to go call up a security company to install some bulletproof?

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
AlanS wonders?
Do I need to worry about cracking the windshield in the cold weather?
I just went through my first winter w/my Forester.
No problems. I fired that baby up and turned on the windshield
heater and it has been fine.
We don't really have winter on the front range anymore.
A few cold days, a few days of snow. Hardly missed any
cycling days last winter due to snow or cold.

Your windshield will get pitted and maybe cracked from the
sand they put down when it does snow.

Where are you moving to?
pepperblues

·
Premium Member
2012 GTI DSG 6-speed
1,463 Posts
pepperblues said:
What do they call a million little grains of sand stuck together? A rock.

The friction material they use in PA could not be confused with sand. It's more like a small stones with sharp edges. Tends to wear the hood and rocker panels. I don't worry so much about the cold hurting the car it's the crap that DOT uses that causes the most damage.

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
Many locales have gone back to sand instead of salt.
Salt is damaging to the eco-system, especially to water resources.
PA in particular uses a reddish sand that leaves the car a mess.
Luckily we don't have to deal with any of that down here.

·
Registered
03 2.5 X
766 Posts
Didn't have any problems with windshield cracking the three winters I lived in Michigan. It was regularly below freezing, with only a few very cold days (-5 to -10 Farenheit). Car was parked in uninsulated garage which may have helped some (not much..it was still damn cold in the mornings). But at work it was parked outside all day. I have had a stone chip for awhile, but it never got worse even through the cold winter.

·
Registered
240 Posts
SubaJew said:
Many locales have gone back to sand instead of salt.
Salt is damaging to the eco-system, especially to water resources.
PA in particular uses a reddish sand that leaves the car a mess.
Luckily we don't have to deal with any of that down here.
in northern AZ they use volcanic rock and some sort of... goo. it leaves white stickyness all over your car, i have no idea what it is but it annoys me. We call it "monkey ji...."

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring CVT
1,349 Posts
apanthropy said:
in northern AZ they use volcanic rock and some sort of... goo. it leaves white stickyness all over your car, i have no idea what it is but it annoys me. We call it "monkey ji...."
That stuff is called cinder. That stuff will pit your windshield and I think it does more damage to a vehicle than sodium.

I don't think cold weather anywhere in the continental USA will break a windsheild. Rocks and other debris will though.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
pepperblues said:
AlanS wonders?

We don't really have winter on the front range anymore.
A few cold days, a few days of snow. Hardly missed any
cycling days last winter due to snow or cold.

Where are you moving to?
pepperblues
Hey Pepper-
We've got a lot in common as I cycle about 120 miles/week (and I have three road bikes). I was going to buy one of those "Rocky Mounts" bike racks for the Subie-- but I figure I can just throw my bike in the back with less effort. My other car is an S2000, so I am reveling in the utter practicality of the Subie:icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:

We're moving south of Denver, near Castle Pines.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
love those winters

I felt so weird reading your msg, sorry to say but you sounded like someone from another planet. I dont know a lot about Cali weather but there's over a hundred million of us, Canadian AND Americans who know only too well what its like to be equally miserable in 36C sweltering humidity and -30C extreme cold snaps year in and year out.

The only thing i ever needed to worry about is the coolant, get your rad flushed and filled with new stuff protecting down to about -20C, then just keep an eye on the levels. I do a flush and fill every couple of years. I never had to worry about much in the way of protecting the car in winter but make sure you keep the tire levels to spec because they leak faster and get a good set of winter windshield wipers. You should also make sure you have a good battery rated for at least 400 cold-cranking amps, make sure the connectors are clean and on tight.

When you turn your car on you can instantly turn on most if not all your systems in the car, the only one though that you'll wish would work a little bit faster is the damn heater. It goes back however, to how important the care of the battery is. So, i am looking forward to this winter to actually use the heated seats properly,(what a rush having the dog turn on the heated seats on a scorching hot afternoon in August). How about that AWD.

·
Premium Member
2012 GTI DSG 6-speed
1,463 Posts
mart59 said:
The only thing i ever needed to worry about is the coolant, get your rad flushed and filled with new stuff protecting down to about -20C, then just keep an eye on the levels. I do a flush and fill every couple of years. I never had to worry about much in the way of protecting the car in winter but make sure you keep the tire levels to spec because they leak faster and get a good set of winter windshield wipers. You should also make sure you have a good battery rated for at least 400 cold-cranking amps, make sure the connectors are clean and on tight.
Good tips for cold weather areas.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts