Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my Shiny New '06 FXT (Manual) for about 3 months now. About 6 weeks ago, I let my factory alarm-keyfob-with-single-key slip down between the seats and didn't notice it doing so until I tried to find the key. :(

I thought I had somehow (really mysteriously) lost the key and fob. Groan. I retrieved my ONE spare key and went to the dealer to get another key made. I'm really glad the doors weren't locked when the original key & fob "disappeared."

Prior to getting the replacement key&fob, I had mildly flamed the selling dealer Parts Dept on the survey because when I called to inquire about the cost of a service manual set, the exchange went as follows:

Me: "What does a Service Manual Set for a new FXT (Manual) cost?"

Dealer parts: " D'ohh...I'd have to make a list of the individual manuals."

Me: "Uh, OK, I'll wait."

Dealer parts: "That'll be $806.00"

Me: "I See. Never Mind. Thanks Anyway."

(I then ordered a set online for $300 from ANOTHER dealer and subsequently flamed my selling dealer parts dept. on the S.O.A. new purchase experience survey.)

S.O.A. did evidently forward my comment to my Dealer because I got a call from my original salesrep within a couple of days offering to come up with something to offset that experience with their parts dept.

THEN, I lost my original key & fob.

My selling dealer parts dept. informed me that the replacement cost for the key & fob would be $250! After THAT, I'd also get to pay the service dept. to reprogram the immobilizer to recognize the new key.

OK, at least it became an opportunity for my salesrep to compensate for the Service Manual Set experience. :) And, to his credit, he did. Sort of. I got the dealer's "special internal" price for key+fob of $120 and the parts dept. reprogrammed the immobilizer without charge.

So, the salesrep did the best he could within his (and the Dealer's) procedural system. I can't really fault him.

But $120 for a replacement key & fob still PISSES ME OFF, especially considering that I had an aftermarket Viper alarm installed on my prior Loyale and it functioned FAR better than the (newer) factory system does on the FXT!

In addition to the cost ripoff, one other little GOTCHA item exists with the Immbolizer on the new cars:

The Immobilizer system operates because the keys are "chipped" with electronic serial numbers in the keyblanks. As a result, simply cutting a new keyblank that will turn in the ignition won't get you anywhere. Unless the Immobilizer can read the serial number of the key in the lock, it will shut the engine down 10-seconds after starting. THIS MEANS YOU NEED TO TAKE ALL OF YOUR KEYS INTO THE DEALER WHEN GETTING THE IMMOBILIZER "REPROGRAMMED." The dealer wipes the Immobilizer's memory and re-authorizes each key individually. The Immobilizer is limited to, if I recall correctly, 4 individual keys including the (grey) "valet" key that won't open the glove compartment lock.

Last but not least, I have subsequently found the original missing key & fob.

·
Registered
2004 FXT
830 Posts
Ok... so do you feel better now that you had a chance to vent ?

Get used to the experience, pretty much all those little accessories cost an arm and a leg...

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio
313 Posts
I think the impracticallity of the key/immobilser service is due to increased security.

My wife lost her key (European Ford Galaxy) last year; ordering a new key was not simple. We had one more original key, but due to security issues, only one place in Denmark cuts OEM keys for Fords AND they need the original key! So we needed to hand in the car for 3 (three!) days to the dealer to get a replacement key - ouch!

The alternative was ordering a complete set of new keys, but then that would require a reprogramming of all the locks (to the tune of app USD 500!).

Your service manual experience was not so nice, but sometimes the dealers make mistakes - good for you they at least tried to make up for that experience. Enjoy your car and accept that any car is a rolling liability (financial as well as otherwise).

·
Registered
222 Posts
jkd said:
Last but not least, I have subsequently found the original missing key & fob.
So is the missing key still good for the immobilizer?
I got the same problem (missing key) on our 04 Mazda MPV. I paid 125 for the new key+fob set and programming. But when the missing key was found, it's not working with the immobilizer, need to re-program it.

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
You can disable it by replacing the ecu with an older non immobiliser version. Would be a costly effort.

Face it - the hassle of losing the key is because the immobiliser is a pretty good security for stopping someone from driving your car away.

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
Man... that is a serious chunk of change...

I would have crawled all over the vehicle before giving up the cash. And to find it after having spent the money!?!?!? OMG, I would probably ask my lady to kick me, as hard as she could, in the balls.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
roxjohn said:
So is the missing key still good for the immobilizer?
Nope, when they reprogrammed the Immobilizer for the other keys I had, they basically wiped its memory first. So, right now, it knows about the grey Valet key, my other original key+fob, and the replacement key+fob that I bought. I'll probably get the "found" original programmed in when I go in for maintenance. That, of course, means remembering to take all 4 keys with me when I drop it off at the dealer...

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
jkd,

You wouldn't happen to have a Grey FXT, often traveling on Sloat Blvd, are you?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nope, I'm on the Peninsula

SKSTI said:
jkd,

You wouldn't happen to have a Grey FXT, often traveling on Sloat Blvd, are you?
Yes, mine's grey, but I'm in the city only occasionally...

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
SKSTI said:
Man... that is a serious chunk of change...

I would have crawled all over the vehicle before giving up the cash. And to find it after having spent the money!?!?!? OMG, I would probably ask my lady to kick me, as hard as she could, in the balls.
:spinnasmiley :spinnasmiley :spinnasmiley :spinnasmiley :spinnasmiley :spinnasmiley :spinnasmiley :spinnasmiley :spinnasmiley :spinnasmiley :spinnasmiley

1 - 11 of 11 Posts