Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Premium
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of late, when I put the car in park. Turn off the ignition. It locks before the last quarter(?) turn before you pull the key out. I'll shift it into gear, back to park, start the car, move it a foot or back up a bit, then out of the blue it'll let me turn it off and take the key out.
Nothing otherwise seems to be causing problems. Anyone else had this happen?

Thanks

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
651 Posts
@8lackie Is it the steering wheel lock? If you can't turn the key fully to "off," before you start the engine again, can you try to rotate the steering wheel each way while gently trying to rotate the key to "off"?

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Premium
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you @Botnik I know what you speak of. When the steering wheel is locked and you have to really strong-arm it to let it release the key.
However this is not happening. The steering wheel is not locked up. I thought I might not be in "Park" the first time. But this was not the case.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Premium
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, crud!

@RH-NE PA I take it it's a malfunction and not covered by any incantations or warranties? Ball park cost?

·
Registered
2017 Forester Limited CVT
7 Posts
@8lackie Mine was covered under 36 month warranty. It would be a costly repair at dealer if paying to have it done. I believe $600 + at dealer. I'm sure a call to Subaru wouldn't hurt, there must be others out there that had this problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts