Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to use ignition coils for a turbo engine on a non turbo engine? Will they work? Will the they bolt up? Is there any issues in using them on a non turbo engine? I just noticed that turbo coils are cheaper than non turbo coils. The connections look identical.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,981 Posts
@Izzyalunatic what year is your Forester? :confused:
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Public Profile". Specifically, the "About Me" section (Edit Your Details). This displays every time you make a post on the forum. This will provide information members may need to reply to your forum posts. You can edit this field via the "User Control Panel", aka, "User CP.

If you're using a mobile device, you may need to use a laptop or desktop computer to see all the user tools.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2011 Forester premium x with 2.5 Dohc w AT. I’m looking to change and / or ungraded my ignition coils. Just curious if the turbo coils will work on the non turbo motors. Is there a difference? Will they fit? Is there a fitment issue preventing me from using a turbo coil on a non turbo engine?

·
Administrator
38,981 Posts
@Izzyalunatic I believe you have a coil pack that sits on the top of the engine. All 4 spark plug wires plug into that coil pack. If that is what you have then the XT part will not work for you.

The XT has always had individual coils, which sit right above each spark plug. The price for an XT coil will be less, as it's only serves one spark plug. 4 are required on the engine, one for each spark plug.

► Edit - the above information is not correct! See my post below for the correct FB25 coil poop!

Bobby...

·
Registered
2012 Forester X 5 MT
881 Posts
The 2011 FB engine doesn't use a coil pack, it uses an individual coil on each plug.

The NA and Turbo coils are similar but not interchangeable.

Pay the extra money and get the right part.

·
Administrator
38,981 Posts
@OldGoat38 I was wondering about that, as my Subaru technical repair document for the SH - '09-'13, lists "Engine 1 Section (H4SO)" & "Engine 2 Section (H4DOTC)", with engine 2 being "direct ignition type" with individual spark plug coils.

As I see it now...

EJ25 - 2.5L Non-Turbo (1998-2010) = H4SO = coil pack.
FB25 - 2.5L Non-Turbo (2011- 2018) = H4DOTC = direct ignition type - coil per spark plug.

Bobby...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts