Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

If the Subaru Forester was available in a FWD only model would you buy it?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If the Subaru Forester was offered in FWD (with the same engine / mounted the same way) would you consider buying it?

My answer is no. I traded off a comfortable front passenger seat for the AWD Forester. If I wanted a FWD crossover it would be the Honda CRV. I did drive the Tuscon, Santa Fe, Rav4, Rogue in FWD only and the CRV would be the choice.

·
Banned
2000 Forester L
315 Posts
FWD crossovers are retarded.

I would never buy a FWD anything masquerading as a truck. I don't think I will ever buy a FWD anything ever again.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
1,155 Posts
My answer is NO...

FWD...I will pick ISUZU ( I am not sure they make FWD)

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,486 Posts
Possibly, though not sure what other models I'd consider. For certain I'd get some real snow tires instead of the all-season meats I can get away with on the Forester. If FWD were the only way to get a diesel over here, then I'd probably get a FWD Forester.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
Nope probably would of gotten an Sante Fe or Grand Vitara instead.

·
Registered
2000 Forester
88 Posts
No, if you said RWD then yes, but FWD would be too ricey to make fast. Like those civics with the super huge front tires and stock rears :puke:

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5x Tour
100 Posts
I'd drive a Mazda 3Sport if the Fozzie wasn't available AWD.

·
Registered
2005 Forester
1 Posts
Sure, I would...

...if it were cheaper and got better gas mileage. I drove FWD cars all over the Midwest US in the winter and they worked just fine, even in deep snow.

Quite frankly, I've needed the AWD services of my 2005 Forester maybe twice since I've owned it, yet I've been paying the price in lower mileage the entire time. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Forester, I just don't care whether it has AWD or FWD.

·
Registered
2008 Forester sports xt
108 Posts
No way! Subaru was doing just fine being unique in design and function. There is no need to change the good thing they have going and become like all the other SUV/wagons out there. I knew about the gas mileage when I bought it. (my commute is only a few miles and I ride my bike a lot of the time)

FWD:puke:

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
98 Posts
why has no one stated the obvious in that

if its not AWD its not Subaru.
everything they stand for aka awesome

otherwise i would have gotten a mazdaspeed 3 aigh?

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,255 Posts
Absolutely not. I wouldn't but a Subaru if it wasn't AWD.
Exactly.

There are a bunch of nicer cars, that are more efficient or make more power, and cost the same amount.

If my Outback were FWD only, I would have gotten a TDI Jetta Wagon instead without hesitation.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,152 Posts
Without AWD Forrester is a doo-doo bird overnight.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Probably not. We bought the Forester primarily because:
  • I'm 6'-7 (2.0 m) and can comfortably fit in it
  • It's AWD
  • It's got a manual transmission
  • It's got great rear seat leg room (behind the front passenger seat, anyway)
  • We consider it to be an "economy car"
Based on recent forum reports, the last point might fall into the "really!?" :huh: category. However, our intended use of the Forester is business and/or personal trips any time of the year. For example, my old job included customers in PA, NY, and VT. We've racked up ~9,351 trip miles so far (~78% of total miles to date), and trip fuel economy has averaged right at 30 mpg (~7.8 l/100 km).

We already had a FWD car ('06 Honda Accord) and a RWD pickup ('00 Ford F250 Superduty crewcab), so adding the Forester has resulted in a nicely balanced "fleet".

Regards,
im / crewzer

1 - 20 of 54 Posts