Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,078 Posts
My mother-in-law bought me the blu-ray for my b'day because i had been talking about how I have wanted to see it. It arrived yesterday and I'll be watching it this weekend.

...more to come from a lot of us it seems :)

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,078 Posts
Watched it last night. I really liked it... very classic sci-fi.

So what are your questions?

·
Premium Member
04 Acura TSX the slick 6 speed
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Watched it last night. I really liked it... very classic sci-fi.

So what are your questions?
Yes, excellent stuff. OK so here are the questions:

SPOILER WARNING!

Assuming we take the stance that everything that happened really did happen, that it wasn't a result of his isolation/going crazy, that there really was a conspiracy and clones and inhumanity and the 'rescue ship' was a fraud and etc...

QUESTION 1, Why would the lunar company allow GERTY to fess up to him and help him? And why was he allowed access into previous log entries so that he could figure out the conspiracy? If the company was smart they would have prevented his access so he'd be in the dark.

QUESTION 2, Why did clone #2 (the healthy one that rescued sick crashed clone #1) awake such that there were 2 clones active at once? This would contradict the evil plot of the company, having 2 active at once.

QUESTION 3, Since his wife was "sending him messages", but she wasn't really, does this mean that they got some fake woman to say those things to give appearance that he really was living the lie that he'd been led to believe? Or were these real messages from the original astronaut that they just re-used for the clones.

OK, that's all for now.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,078 Posts
Thanks for pointing out that spoilers are to be had :)

QUESTION 1, Why would the lunar company allow GERTY to fess up to him and help him? And why was he allowed access into previous log entries so that he could figure out the conspiracy? If the company was smart they would have prevented his access so he'd be in the dark.
Good question. To recall, at one point he did ask GERTY (which I wondered if that stood for something - like HAL 9000 stood for Heuristically programmed ALgorithmic Computer) why he gave him the code and he said it was because GERTY was programmed to make Sam happy. So, not that this is in any form or fashion the answer, but I presume the company never foresaw this very unlikely string of events that would allow any Sam clone to discern that he was in fact a clone. Therefore, programming GERTY to make Sam happy whilst keeping the 3-year clone program secret never crossed their minds. As I type this out and think about it more, if the company had programmed GERTY with restraint then that might have caused any of the Sams to be more curious or questioning, had GERTY responded to something unusually (with the intention of keeping the program secretive). That is actually what happened with Sam #2. GERTY wouldn't let him go out and therefore he got suspicious, found a way to go out, and then the plan was uncovered. Good question though.

QUESTION 2, Why did clone #2 (the healthy one that rescued sick crashed clone #1) awake such that there were 2 clones active at once? This would contradict the evil plot of the company, having 2 active at once.
From what I gathered, GERTY presumed clone #1 was dead because he was unconscious and not responding. His following actions of awaking another clone (#2) and calling the company to send a crew to repair the harvesting machine would make sense. That is why GERTY tried to keep clone #2 inside so that the crew that was coming could kill #1 before #2 became aware of his existence.

QUESTION 3, Since his wife was "sending him messages", but she wasn't really, does this mean that they got some fake woman to say those things to give appearance that he really was living the lie that he'd been led to believe? Or were these real messages from the original astronaut that they just re-used for the clones.
I'm not too sure. I thought about this while I was watching it as well and I think that they had canned messages (from the real person or an actress pretending to be his wife, I'm not sure) and since it was always delayed the company would not have to worry much about him asking a question and him not remembering when he got her response... But I'd like to go back and watch it to see if she actually was answering his questions, or if she was merely just sending him messages with no substantial back-and-forth thoughts.

Obviously no one has the real answers but this was my take :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
04 Acura TSX the slick 6 speed
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 and 2, that makes sense.

3, the more I think on this, I think perhaps maybe the 'original' Sam did stay 3 years, and was now back on earth (15 years later), as evidenced by the clones conversation with the teenage daughter and he being in the background. So perhaps the videos of his wife's messages to him were the originals being replayed from the first original Sam, and they were showing them to the clones.

Thanks!!! Good movie!

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,078 Posts
3, the more I think on this, I think perhaps maybe the 'original' Sam did stay 3 years, and was now back on earth (15 years later), as evidenced by the clones conversation with the teenage daughter and he being in the background. So perhaps the videos of his wife's messages to him were the originals being replayed from the first original Sam, and they were showing them to the clones.
I was talking to my wife about these questions after I posted my response and that is what she thinks too. So I'll buy it :)

And yeah, good movie :icon_biggrin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts