Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Cold one today up in the NE! Had one problem...door was frozen to the rubber gasket. As there's no upper door frame, I was nervous to just pull away at it. Managed to find an old can of defroster and gently pounded on the window until I broke through its grip. I had recently cleaned the gasket, but obviously need something extra to prevent this again. Any one got a good tip???

WD40

ps The suby is only amazing on the ice!

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
I thought your signature was a question about using it at first. Maybe a shot of silicone spray? Not sure how it reacts with rubber or low temps. Maybe some type of rubber lube. That didn't sound right but you know what I mean. :wink:

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,052 Posts
Gaah don't spray PAM on it, I use to formulate PAM, there is stuff in there that will eat the rubber (namely the propellent - propane and isobutane) not good for the rubber. Plus the Lecithin will gum things up. Spray silicone spray on a rag (not the rubber - the propellent again) that's the best thing to do then wipe that on the gasket.

·
Ze flying Russian
2007 STI
2,008 Posts
A glass or two of a hot water usually helps ... or you could just piss on the door. :lol:

·
Mr. April 2008, Image Master
2005 X
1,325 Posts
Peaty said:
Gaah don't spray PAM on it, I use to formulate PAM, there is stuff in there that will eat the rubber (namely the propellent - propane and isobutane) not good for the rubber. Plus the Lecithin will gum things up. Spray silicone spray on a rag (not the rubber - the propellent again) that's the best thing to do then wipe that on the gasket.
But Joe Dirt said it would keep Charlie's ball from freezing to the porch... So shouldn't it keep the door from freezing closed? :twisted:

·
Registered
434 Posts
The Wraith said:
Peaty said:
But Joe Dirt said it would keep Charlie's ball from freezing to the porch... So shouldn't it keep the door from freezing closed? :twisted:
Charlie's balls aren't made out of rubber. Unless he got them snipped and just slapped on a rubber set of magilacutties to help him feel more manly.

·
Mr. April 2008, Image Master
2005 X
1,325 Posts
mbroadhe said:
The Wraith said:
Peaty said:
Charlie's balls aren't made out of rubber. Unless he got them snipped and just slapped on a rubber set of magilacutties to help him feel more manly.
They did stretch an awful lot :lol:

·
'03 XS MT PSM
2015 Ford Focus ST
2,371 Posts
NahdaDamdyke said:
I thought your signature was a question about using it at first. Maybe a shot of silicone spray? Not sure how it reacts with rubber or low temps. Maybe some type of rubber lube. That didn't sound right but you know what I mean. :wink:
Use lard. :)

Actually, I had the same problem... Freezing rain on Sunday morning left the Subys cover in ice. Doors were frozen shut, and, the door handles were frozen too! :( I just beat on them till they opened.

Also - if you try to get gas after an ice storm, you'll find that your fuel door is probably frozen shut too. I beat on it for a bit to no avail. Needed some inside pressure to pull it out...

enter the baseball cap....

the bill of my hat fit right in the gap and provided me with a scratch free prying device. Worked like a champ.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Same problem here. I tried to open one of the front doors and realized it was frozen shut.

I used the remote starter to turn on the car, and let it run for a few minutes, hoping the doors would unfreeze. They didn't. So I decided not to go out at all, and then freaked out because I wasn't sure how to turn off the car via the remote. So I opened the rear hatch (which wasn't stuck), crawled forward from there into the driver's seat (which was very awkward, as I'm not that small), turned off the engine, and crawled back out.

Then I realized that the half-yank I had given the front door at the beginning had left it open a little. So I yanked it all the way open (cringing as I waited for the sound of a ripping gasket, which fortunately I didn't hear), and then started the engine again and drove off.

The 'beating on the doors until they opened' approach certainly would have been quicker.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
hunts said:
This is just one of the few reasons why Subaru should not be using frameless doors anymore.
I love having frameless doors in the summer time, friends think they are pretty cool too.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
I've heard, and I think it was here, that closing the door by the glass could cause misalignment. I haven't had any issues plus I almost always have all four windows cracked when I close the door. I just don't like putting my greasy paws on the paint and would rather grab the glass. Don't know, may cause some issues down the road.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
NahdaDamdyke said:
I've heard, and I think it was here, that closing the door by the glass could cause misalignment. I haven't had any issues plus I almost always have all four windows cracked when I close the door. I just don't like putting my greasy paws on the paint and would rather grab the glass. Don't know, may cause some issues down the road.
"Greasy paws on the paint" :?

I'd worrie about the windows more

·
The Modfather
8,052 Posts
Me too I hate when I see people grab the window and not the door itself. My kids know better by now :)

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
I should have been more clear. I close the door by the EDGE of the window with the heel of my palm. I guess using the handle would be better.

With kids, it isn't the handprints on the outside that I notice as much as the nose prints and handprints on the inside. At first I tell them not to but then I feel like i'm being overly anal about things. Now if it's the weekend car...heads will roll! :x

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've seen some rubbers coated in like a fine powder, dunno what it is but would that stop it from freezing or would it just look crap. Thats if its something we can buy :?:

Would silicone spray leave smear marks on the glass, cos I'm one of those "Dont touch my clear glass!" types :wink:

Oh BTW Hello :)

I'm due to be a forester owner this Saturday, when I pick it up. Cant wait :D

Mick

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Gasman said:
I've seen some rubbers coated in like a fine powder, dunno what it is but would that stop it from freezing or would it just look crap. Thats if its something we can buy :?:

Would silicone spray leave smear marks on the glass, cos I'm one of those "Dont touch my clear glass!" types :wink:

Oh BTW Hello :)

I'm due to be a forester owner this Saturday, when I pick it up. Cant wait :D

Mick
The powder is usually mold release left over from the manufacturing process. I'm sure you could buy it but I don't think it's the right way to fix this issue.

If you buff the rubber after applying the silicone, it shouldn't leave much in the way of residue.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If the car is caught in an ice storm, try to thaw out the door with a hair drier.

To prevent the doors or windows from freezing to the weatherstripping after a car wash or wet weather, wash and dry the weatherstripping around the door opening and the door glass or metal that contacts it.

Then treat the weatherstripping with a thin layer of silicone grease. Use GM Goodwrench Dielectric Silicone Grease (part no. 12345579), ACDelco Dielectric Silicone Grease (Part 10-4007 88900334), or equivalent. Apply a dab to a soft cloth and apply it lightly but thoroughly to the rubber. Let it soak for a few minutes, then wipe off any surplus with a soft cloth. Only a light coating is needed.

It preserves the rubber and, unlike silicone spray, there are no harmful propellants to worry about.

·
The Modfather
8,052 Posts
don't spray the rubber directly, spray a rag or paper towel first then wipe on the rubber. That not only controls where it's going but it also gives the propellant and other solvents used to keep the silicone in suspension a chance to flash off. Those things (solvents and propellants) are usually HC based and you don't want those on the rubber if you can help it. HC's and rubber don't mix well (dosen't anyone remember health class? ;) )

1 - 20 of 24 Posts