Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, long stupid story short, I recently blew sweetened iced tea all over the inside of my 2000 Forester 4EAT.:puke:

Shortly after my wife noticed that the A/C would only blow if the fan is on 4. A tiny amount of air would flow if it was in positions 1/2/3, regardless of whether the A/C button was on or off.

I didn't associate the problem with the iced tea until I tried to adjust the vent and broke the vertical slat that has the little handle that you use to swing the vents left and right. Basically the whole thing was gummed up solid by the tea such that the plastic broke before the tea residue did.

So I'm assuming that the tea has something to do with the blowing issue, too, though I have no clue how that fan mechanism and controls actually work behind the dash.

As a side note, my electrical is completely screwed up. The doors lock and unlock at random and it seems that other keyless entry systems within range will trigger my alarm. I assume that this wouldn't cause my fan issues, but I'm throwing it out there in case anyone thinks they could be related.

Any thoughts from anyone?

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,751 Posts
So you have sugar-coated or burnt the rheostat, most likely. Or the blower/motor is damaged/burnt, and it's just a coincidence. In any case, your best course of action would be to take apart most of the dash, cleaning everything in the process. Might work again. If not - get a new/used HVAC control block.

P.S. The blower should be easily accessible from under the glove box; might want to check what voltages you're getting on it first.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
The manual controls use cables from behind the knobs to the blend doors and controls on the hvac. I'd pull the center dash and check behind it, and follow the cables and make sure they're all connected properly.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
You can get the bezel for like $100 at the dealer

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
Usual cause of low speeds out is burnt out heater resistor element(s) (rheostat) when high speed still works. It's behind the glove box and mounted with probably 2 screws (can't remember) with an electrical connector. As it's a ways from the intake it seems hard to believe the iced tea itself could have gotten on it and caused it, but i'm honestly not sure if you poured some in the vent if it could actually come in contact (think not). So, maybe a coincidence?

Is the tiny amount of air flowing actually from driving speeds with recirculate lever open? If you close the lever, does the air mostly stop?

I believe the switch for the (manual) fan speeds is actually mounted behind the knob. With the closer proximity to the iced tea it might be more likely to have been damaged. You must have lost a LOT of iced tea?! My 2004 I've been into recently actually has a circuit board behind the bezel. I can't remember if the 2000s have a board too, or more basic switches.

Of course having other electrical issues opens the door to a lot of possibilities, although from what you said they seem on different circuits and unrelated.

·
Registered
2017 Limited
1,017 Posts
Woody 04 hit this one on the head. The blower motor resistor has gone bad. This is a very common issue on 2002-2005 Jeep Libertys as well. 4 works because all the power goes to the motor, 1,2, & 3 don't because the resistor circuit on the small board is burnt out. In my Jeep the resistor card was $22, and they whacked me for an hours labor to change it out, although it only took 10 minutes.

Don't even ask what happens to those little vent vanes when your wife "spills" a chocolate shake all over the dash. And then does not tell about it for weeks.

·
Registered
2000 Forester
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks!

Thanks much. You guys rock.

Time to learn some electrical it seems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts