Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Forester XT Touring Auto
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a quality ice scraper?

It seems as if I go through these things each winter and would like to find one that lasts a bit. Preferably something retractable to also push snow off the roof.

·
Registered
2014 Foz Ltd CVT
310 Posts
A military ID card works great and if you foul it up, they give you a new one, for free! :p

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,701 Posts
These are the blest..made by Blitz. (Blitz 7" ice scraper)

·
Registered
2002 ES300
4,412 Posts
Old credit cards for ice. And I picked up a cheap 1 piece plastic brush/scraper combo for less than $4 at Walmart. Bomb proof.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
I haven't tried these tips so I don't know but they really work, but FWIW:

Make your own ice-prevention spray: Mix three parts white vinegar and one part water in a spray bottle and spray the solution on your car windows before you go in at night to prevent ice buildup.

Get rid of existing ice: Mix one part water to two parts 70 percent isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle for a homemade de-icing spray. Spray your iced-over windows with the solution and the ice will peel right off.

·
Registered
2014 Impreza Premium 2.0 AT w/ Manual Mode
267 Posts
I would suggest a cover... this is just a cheap $6 from Walmart but it's better than scrapping in the cold. I have seen some nicer ones out there, single digits here, nice to just pull that thing off and go!

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
I would suggest a cover... this is just a cheap $6 from Walmart but it's better than scrapping in the cold. I have seen some nicer ones out there, single digits here, nice to just pull that thing off and go!
Be sure your windshield is ABSOLUTELY dry, as well as the inside of the cover. Otherwise you'll have it stuck to the windshield just like unprotected wiper blades. And seal the top edge when it joins the windshield so nothing flows down under it. I learned that the hard way. :Banane29:

·
Registered
2006 Forester Auto
43 Posts
I've been using the same cover for almost 20 years. Picked it up for less than $10 at an auto parts store. If it ever breaks I'm getting another one. Why scrape the snow and ice off when you can prevent it from getting on the windshield in the first place?

Mine is secured inside the vehicle with a suction cup and by closing the door on it, not by looping it over the outside mirrors like the one above. The one above would work fine if it's snowing but not windy, but if it's windy all kinds of snow would get under it.

·
Registered
2019 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6AT
541 Posts
Why scrape the snow and ice off when you can prevent it from getting on the windshield in the first place?
Scraping your windshield in the early morning and cursing out your scraper are part of the winter experience though! lol :biggrin:

·
Registered
2014 Impreza Premium 2.0 AT w/ Manual Mode
267 Posts
Mine is meant to hook together on the inside but I just throw it on the mirrors because I do it on my break, I don't wanna mess around with it ha.

I haven't had any trouble with it sticking so far, I throw it on the passenger side floor after taking it off so it has a chance to dry off... One day when some dry snow fell it didn't do much good, weigh of it just pushed it down. This one I have isn't heavy duty though I bet there are some out there that would be a lot better for the situation.

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0 XT yes
2,752 Posts
Those blankets don't do much for the rest of the glass.

The window cleaning ritual gives the car time to warm up a bit (especially the seats), lets the heated mirrors do their thing and gets the snow off the car (so I don't white-out people behind me). I use a folding scraper/brush contraption to do the deed.

[OCD] I also sometimes scrape the moonroof if it's sunny that morning.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts