Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester Sport-Tech
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a set of ramps and do my own oil changes on my new 2010 Forester. Does anybody know if this will void the warranty even if I keep a good record of it? I hate bringing it in to one of those speedy lube places. I don't trust them. On one occasion, they broke off the neck part that the engine oil cap screws into, because they tightened it too much. That cost me a few hundred dollars to replace and on another occasion they didn't tighten the drain plug fully and I was leaking oil not to mention those comments of "service run down" and upselling which irks me. That just makes me not want to go back ever.

Also, I was considering using a synthetic or semi-synthetic blend. Is this a waste of money in a Subaru engine? I'm in a very cold Canadian climate (mainly city driving). I don't know much about the lifespan of a boxer engine or the reliability of them. Thanks.

·
Registered
2003 Forester XT
500 Posts
I always thought that to keep the warranty valid you had to have it serviced by a main dealer, being subaru.

As for self service I have always used fully synth, Comma I think it's called which I was told is made by shell for allparts over here in the uk.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
Nope. Doing your own oil changes will NOT void the warranty (in the States at least), but I would keep all record/receipts of your oil changes if anything "oil-related" breaks in your engine. Some stealerships will try to use it as a scapegoat in case something oil-related does happen, but as long as you have the receipts, you'll be fine.

Best thing to do is ask a TRUSTED dealer if it'll void the warranty, or what you need to do incase something does happen. Most likely they'll tell you just to keep the receipts. If they do try to tell you it'll void the warranty, HAVE THEM show you in the warranty fine print where it states that (because it doesn't).

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,220 Posts
It will not void the warranty provided you keep records of when the oil was changed, and use only Subaru filters. The dealer may or may not tell you the truth about this. Remember, they are in it for the service work.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,498 Posts
Don't know if Canada has Magnuson-Moss Warranty act.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
You should run synthetic oil... especially during the Canadian winters.
I did a comparison of synthetic, semi-syn, and dyno in a freezer a few years back and the synthetic stayed fluid to much lower temperatures than the others. It's better for cold starts in the winter since standard oil goes really thick in the cold.

Not that standard oil is bad, I just prefer synthetics.
If you can, order a pile of OEM Subaru oil filters from the dealership... or from one of the various online Subaru parts places. My dealership has never said anything about my oil changes, and having an OEM filter on there will at least make them believe you had your last oil change performed by an authorized dealership.

·
Registered
118 Posts
You should run synthetic oil... especially during the Canadian winters.
I did a comparison of synthetic, semi-syn, and dyno in a freezer a few years back and the synthetic stayed fluid to much lower temperatures than the others. It's better for cold starts in the winter since standard oil goes really thick in the cold.

Not that standard oil is bad, I just prefer synthetics.
If you can, order a pile of OEM Subaru oil filters from the dealership... or from one of the various online Subaru parts places. My dealership has never said anything about my oil changes, and having an OEM filter on there will at least make them believe you had your last oil change performed by an authorized dealership.
+1 about the synthetic.

I'd go one further and say go for a 0W-30 instead of 5W-30, especially for the cold winters.
0W-30 is thinner at cold than 5W-30 is cold, enabling better lubrication at start-up. But don't worry about it being too thin because: 1) The oils are the same thickness when the engine warms up to operating temperature (the 30 number), and 2) The 0W-30 oil is still thicker when cold than when warm meaning it's never too thin for the engine.
I just put in Mobil 1 0W-40 (40 for towing this summer in hot climates), and am really impressed at 1st morning start-up. It purrs like a kitten from the moment it starts up, instead of growling like a tiger for the first minute or two.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,085 Posts
There's a sticky at the top of the New Member Introductions Forum that addresses this situation. Does anybody read stickies?

The only remaining question is whether the law in Canada works the same way it does in the US. You could probably get an authoritative answer in the Canada Forum. What you get here is opinion.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
It will not void the warranty provided you keep records of when the oil was changed, and use only Subaru filters. The dealer may or may not tell you the truth about this. Remember, they are in it for the service work.
B.S. You don't need Subaru filters.

Magnuson-Moss Act. You can use any oil filter you choose, and any oil you choose so long as they are equivalent to the OEM part.

Subaru Dealerships are NOT service centers. The service department at your local Subaru dealer are independent of the manufacturer. Having work done there is no different than doing it yourself or going to an independent shop.

I don't trust the local dealer to fix a sandwich, so I do all of the oil changes on our cars.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Change away! Even in Canada they cannot refuse warranty unless they can prove lack of maintenance. Keep receipts.
Check out Quaker State | Quaker State
They will warrant your engine for 10 yrs or 500,000 km if you use their oil and filters. Both available at Crappy Tire.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
True. But at the end of the day, Dealership Service Departments are NOT an extension of the manufacturer.

Having service done by a Dealer vs. an Independent shop is exactly the same, which reasons to believe that your proof of oil change is just as good as theirs.

·
TANSTAAFL
2010 2.5X Premium AFF 4EAT
472 Posts
I use the local Pennzoil Quick Lube for oil changes on my beloved Dodge Intrepid...173,000 miles and the UOA is still excellent. Anyway, the guy there once told me that the end payer for an engine claim wouldn't be the dealer or manufacturer, but the company that made the oil that was used. I'd imagine the trick would be proving that you'd actually changed the oil regularly yourself and so on. Receipts might help.

For me, saving a few bucks on oil changes isn't worth the potential p*ssing contest while my Sube is still under warranty if there's ever an engine problem, so the dealer does the oil changes on it for the duration of the warranty. At least, they will until they screw up some basic repair or try to blow smoke my way.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT
657 Posts
You are in luck - Alberta has UFA dealers that stock the Chevron Delo 400 oil range (Chevron/Mobil, same outfit) excellent oils.
They also stock 0w-30 Polar Plus 100% PAO Synthetic and sometimes you can even find Rotella T 100% Synthetic 0W-40 (I'm biased, I work for Shell!)

There is a UFA outlet in Spruce Grove.

S

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
I want to get a set of ramps and do my own oil changes on my new 2010 Forester. Does anybody know if this will void the warranty even if I keep a good record of it? I hate bringing it in to one of those speedy lube places. I don't trust them. On one occasion, they broke off the neck part that the engine oil cap screws into, because they tightened it too much. That cost me a few hundred dollars to replace and on another occasion they didn't tighten the drain plug fully and I was leaking oil not to mention those comments of "service run down" and upselling which irks me. That just makes me not want to go back ever.

Also, I was considering using a synthetic or semi-synthetic blend. Is this a waste of money in a Subaru engine? I'm in a very cold Canadian climate (mainly city driving). I don't know much about the lifespan of a boxer engine or the reliability of them. Thanks.
Interesting FAQ from Subaru Canada.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,085 Posts
Interesting FAQ from Subaru Canada.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
Is this what you mean by 'interesting'? And I quote!
XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
Line Number 9, Column 66: <link href="CSS/Default.css" rel="Stylesheet" type="text/css"" />​

:bacon:

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Nope! :huh:

Here's the FAQ and Subaru Canada's official response:

Can I use synthetic oil in my engine?

All Subaru vehicles come from the factory with natural petroleum-based engine oil. Although more expensive, synthetic oil offers a number of advantages and may protect your engine better in both hot and cold temperatures. It reduces friction, thus increasing horsepower and decreasing fuel consumption. Synthetic oil minimizes ongoing wear and deterioration in your engine, which can result in longer engine life.

Synthetic oil should meet or exceed the specifications provided in your Owner's Manual. Even if synthetic oil is used, we do not recommend a longer oil-change interval. Also, once synthetic oil is used, you should keep using it and not switch back and forth with natural petroleum-based oil. Oils with a 5W designation are recommended for use in Canada.

The Subaru New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any damage to the engine resulting from the use of substandard engine oil, engine oil that is defective or engine oil that does not meet the specifications provided in your Owner's Manual, regardless of whether the oil is natural or synthetic. You can protect yourself against this possibility by having your maintenance performed by a factory-authorized Subaru dealership.
Odd, though, as the hyperlink worked just fine to retrieve the FAQ. This particular question is listed on FAQ page 2: http://www.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?WebPageID=6482&WebSiteID=282

Oh, well... HTH,
Jim / crewzer

1 - 18 of 18 Posts