Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Florida!

This forum looks great! Just joined today after lurking around for an hour or two and couldn't resist. So many enthuiasts and knowledgeable fans. I think this is the place for a new Subaru owner.

After about a month or so of researching for a replacement for my '98 CR-V I opted for a Forester. Never owned or even sat in a Subaru in my life! I initially wanted another, newer CR-V but thought how boring that might be. The CR-V is a great and reliable machine and it gave us great service during the 8 years we had it. But at 183,000 little things were going wrong and I had to dump it.

I wanted something more exciting to drive. I looked at Rav4, Pathfinder (too big), Highlander (poor gas mileage), Jeep (unreliable), etc. Consumer Report helped me a great deal! (I would never touch a Kia or Hyundai). So after reading about and watching videos on the internet I was sold on the Forester. I think it was the only choice for me!

I've owned a BMW and loved to drive it but it was unreliable and costly. I've owned a Ford Bronco (full size) 4WD and loved to take it off road. Also a VW Transporter that was great on our Florida trails. And a few VW Bugs. I'm pretty good on the back roads but not a pro.

Camping is my favorite activity so I required a 4WD vehicle. And something with more pep than the CR-V. How I craved the Forester Turbo! Just an ungodly machine with performance that could snap your head back yet handle dirt, sand, mud, hills and drive great on highways while returning good gas mileage. Decided to go with the normally aspirated Forester so I would keep my license and present insurance rates!

So I ended up with a 2007 L. L. Bean version with 39k on the odo and it has been extremely impressive so far! Got it Wednesday evening and couldn't sleep the first night. Got up at 2am and went out to sit in it and read some of the owners manual with the moonroof open.

I must say that the first impression of this SUV was so positive that I almost don't know how to express my feelings. Everything about it is fabulous: the handling, the acceleration, the seats (leather, baby!), the storage, inside spare, brakes, outward visibilty, looks, turning radius, mpg, reliability (CR), and exclusivity. I've only seen 1 other on the road in the last week! I like that!

This car has been waiting for me! :bananapartyhat: :biggrin:

Sorry to go on so long but I just can't help myself! I'll try to post a couple of photos from flickr.

Rick in Lutz, Fl.

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,363 Posts
Congrats and WELCOME Rick ............

Looks like you have already discovered what we already know about this place......... and our Foresters.

Thanks for the pictures ............Very Nice

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,878 Posts
Welcome to the forum, hope you visit often. Now that you've read the owners manual, next time you can't sleep, go for a drive! Lot's of people willing to share their experiences and helpful answers to your problems if any. You can also help us out by putting your vehicle info into your Signature. That way anytime you post it will show up, most won't go looking for that info in your Public Profile, it helps speed up vehicle/model specific questions you might have and any advice you may want to share. Just go into your User CP, Edit Signature, add the info, usually year/model/transmission is good, you are limited to a number of characters, so you might have to abbreviate some info. Now go out and enjoy that Forester.:banana:

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,212 Posts
Welcome. This is really the best forum for the Forester trust me. Good choice for Florida..white. The CRV is a great vehicle. My son has a 2007. I think you will notice the Forester handles a bit better. It will be more capable if you ever get it in snow. :D

I would highly recommend you change the rear differential oil. It takes a bit under a quart. I would suggest Mobil 1 75W-90. If you have an auto you should do a drain and fill. Its just under a gallon.

Plugs are supposed to be changed at 30K miles in the NA but honestly I would wait til at least 40K miles.

There are "How to" posts on all of this stuff.

·
TANSTAAFL
2010 2.5X Premium AFF 4EAT
481 Posts
Welcome from Pennsylvania. Sounds like you've found, as I have, that this forum is friendly, entertaining, and very informative!

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,458 Posts
Did you buy it at Reeves? I looked at one that looked exactly like your about a week ago. Just couldn't get the price down to where I needed it. If it is, check your tires. The one I looked at had a mismatched tire, and that is a BIG deal on the cars!!!:icon_eek:

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,101 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Niagara Falls!
I spend the month of February down there in St. Augustine with my 2007 Sports XT. It sounds like you've had quite the colourful automotive ownership history, glad to see you ended up in a Forester after all that.
Thanks for posting up the pictures, looks like a nice set of wheels you scored yourself to boot.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,731 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Congratulations on your '07 L. L. Bean Forester purchase! I bought an '07 FSXT in July & I've having a great time MODding it. :smile:

Thanks for posting up a picture, it's always nice to look over a new members ride. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2007 Forester
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, well, well. What a nice well-come from you guys! I really do appreciate the hospitality.

Jgrote, I got it at Gordon Chevrolet - a clearance sale! I also saw, online, the one at Reeves but it was way overpriced. Reeves is a pita for service with all the makes and models they sell there (took my BMW there when it was under warranty and they were so slow!). Maybe will get service at Mastro Subaru.

I don't know if the former owner had anything done to it. No record in the owners manual. Not worried, however, as it was obviously well cared for.

CARFAX showed one owner from Jacksonville, Fl. with no problems. Salesman said he received a huge promotion and traded the Forester for a huge S-class Mercedes. Sounds good, anyway.

I must say that my wife, Vicki, is very impressed with the handling, fit, and finish (as am I, of course). She was the DD tonite and I was the DD (designated drinker) so she drove. She's very good behind the wheel. She had a great appreciation for it's cornering ability (took some twisties home) and compared it to her Volvo C70.

I will change the tranny fluid, plugs, etc. Good advice there, guys. Looking for tires (posted in the tire forum) as it has the original Geolanders. (any suggestions here?).

I don't intend to mod it and I'm very impatient with mechanical work. I can do something that needs to be done but would rather leave it for experts to do. I like warranties! Maybe a K & H filter for starters. No lift kits, fat tires, fancy paint, turbos, etc. As it stands it's a Honda CR-V beater after experiencing a mere 2 days of ownership. I just can't relate how fantastic this vehicle is!

Thanks again for the input. I'll be hanging in here for sure!

Regards,
Rick

·
Registered
2007 Forester
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
First road trip

First impressions of a weekend drive across Florida from Lutz (W.coast) to Melbourne (E.coast).

Passing gear is impressive! Had to get around a slow-poke and the Subie was excellent in this catagory. Gave me some confidence I never had in the CRV.

Climate control did the job. Usually it's cool here by mid-October. Hot as hell lately and humid so I set the climate control to 72 or so and stayed confortable.

Highway noise. C'mon, man! some people complain (in other "User Review" sites I've visited) that the thing was noisy at highway speeds. Yeah, IF you open the moonroof and/or windows. Otherwise it's tolerable and the stereo sounds excellent at 75mph. Or if you're accustomed to a Lexus.

Seat comfort. I must say the CRV has the Forester beat after a few hours in the driver's seat. Lumbar support is a nice addition. Passenger has use of the center console armrrest which is not available in the CRV.

I like the drivers seat height adjustment. Tried different levels. The higher the better but ended up setting the hight about 1 or 2" from the top setting. I'm 5'-10".

Highway behavior. Wow, did this baby cruise! The cruise control is similar to my old BMW's and maybe a bit better. Very simple and logical. And the Forester does 80 with no strain. Even at 70 passing gear is decent. Outward vision is fantastic. Also feel safe with daytime running lights and the side view mirror signal lamps. Compass is handy.

Dirt road driving. Well only did about a mile down a dirt road trying to find a highway on our Gazetteer atlas. Came to a dead end. Looking forward to more dirt. I love driving in dirt! Subie was steady with lots of traction. Not quite as smooth as the CRV but felt a bit more confident around turns in the Forester.

Can't wait for camping season!!

·
Registered
2007 Forester
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Mild off-roading

Hey, guys! Finally got the chance to drive on dirt today! Pete, Tim, and I got up early and drove to the Withlacoochee State Forest about 40 mi. north of Tampa. We've been exploring that forest for 35 years. The 'authorities' have closed many of the trails we once traveled and that sucks. But lots of Forest Roads still exist.

It's muzzle loader season right now, so we kept our heads down. I think it's bazooka season starting next week.

One trail had some nice rough hilly sand with lots of ruts. All the pictures I took thru the windshield came out blurry, dammit. But going up was my first real experience with the AWD system. Pete and George are saying "better not slow down, man! Keep that momemtum going, man! Hope you have a shovel, watch out for that, watch out for this, we don't want to spend the day digging you out...." etc. Well, let me tell you how impressive it was! I could feel power being redistributed as it ascended some nasty ruts and soft sand. It was a feeling I'd never experienced, not even in my old Bronco. The traction allowed us to climb with total control, even when slipping into a rut or two.

The wheels hardly spun and I could feel one leaving the ground while the others grabbed in tightly. My old CRV might have made it, but that's doubtful. And these are the original Yokos with 39k on them!

When we got to the top (about 50 yards is all) Pete and Tim laughed in amazement. "Wow, Rick, this thing is unreal!". I loved it. Damn, this could be addicting!

Took all the bumpy trails with aplomb, never jolting us and always in control.

So much more sophisticated than the old Bronco in the suspension department. Can't wait to get back up there and try more challenging roads after I get new tires (probably General Grabber HST's).

Can't wait for camping season!

Rick

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,458 Posts
They are a blast off road!! Glad to see you're enjoying your fozzy for what they are designed for. If you're gonna play in the surar sand and clay out there, you may want to look into a skid plate though. One good rock can ruin your day.:icon_redface: Once again, welcome and have fun!

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,784 Posts
One trail had some nice rough hilly sand with lots of ruts. All the pictures I took thru the windshield came out blurry, dammit. But going up was my first real experience with the AWD system. Pete and George are saying "better not slow down, man! Keep that momemtum going, man! Hope you have a shovel, watch out for that, watch out for this, we don't want to spend the day digging you out...." etc. Well, let me tell you how impressive it was! I could feel power being redistributed as it ascended some nasty ruts and soft sand. It was a feeling I'd never experienced, not even in my old Bronco. The traction allowed us to climb with total control, even when slipping into a rut or two.

The wheels hardly spun and I could feel one leaving the ground while the others grabbed in tightly. My old CRV might have made it, but that's doubtful. And these are the original Yokos with 39k on them!

When we got to the top (about 50 yards is all) Pete and Tim laughed in amazement. "Wow, Rick, this thing is unreal!". I loved it. Damn, this could be addicting!

Took all the bumpy trails with aplomb, never jolting us and always in control.

So much more sophisticated than the old Bronco in the suspension department. Can't wait to get back up there and try more challenging roads after I get new tires (probably General Grabber HST's).

Can't wait for camping season!
Ya your hooked.
But make no mistake you can most certainly get it in over it's head.
(I'm living proof of this)
Better tires,skid plate,diff protector,things your gonna want to seriously think about if your gonna play off road.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts