Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester S Turbo Manual
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, Impreza owner here seriously considering a Forester but can't seem to find a great deal of info on them.

Basically I want one because I see them as a bigger Impreza, and from my limited knowledge, they appear to be very closely related engine and running gear wise.
Also, I'd love to put a few bits from my classic Impreza on there, such as:

Brembo's
100pcd STi Alloys
Exhaust
ECutek Ecu, the mappable 99/00 one
PSI3 data monitor
also have a TD05 I haven't fitted yet

I'd stick with a UK model, but would have thought they would have been at least the same as UK Turbo Impreza, 215bhp. Everywhere mentions the Foresters are only 170bhp, so I'm assuming its a bit more then a bit of ECU tuning.

So basically I want one, and am looking for reasons to get one.
Any advice would be great.

·
Registered
2005 FSTI 'The Limo' Manual
420 Posts
Im guessing you are the sam guy on scoobynet? Already posted on there but will post my opinion here too.

I have a 04wrx impreza and a 53xt forester.

The forester is the everyday car and is alot more practical for the 3 kids and a dog! It is plenty quick enough and doesn't handle too bad but its no impreza. Go test drive one and see what you think.

It all depends what you want a car to do:

If you young free and single then id stick with the impreza
If you have 3 kids, a dog, and want a bit more comfort - get a forester
Or work your @r$e off and have both!

Dan

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah thats right, thanks for the reply.

As mentioned on Scoobynet, got the one kid, but will have more, but also liking the idea of the extra space.

I got the modding bug years ago, so no standard car (in my price range) is ever good enough for long, and as I'm at least half way there with the the modding knowledge, I might aswell continue. I'm certainly no boy racer, but I'd wanna stay in the 200bhp club.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Read through over twenty pages of threads in the Europe section, plenty mentions of TD04's and VF35's, but no one has mentioned fitting a TD05.
Any reason for that?

A

·
0 Posts
Impreza ecu will not run in a forester, you will need to buy a 99/00 year for it to be remapped..
The reason people fit the smaller turbos compared to the impreza is because the forester has mild cams for lots of low down grunt, the trade off is they don't really like a turbo any bigger than a TD04 to run efficiently..
I fitted a VF35 to mine and struggled to map it past 250bhp, with the smaller more efficient TD04H it made 282bhp..

Andy

·
Premium Member
3,169 Posts
if you are mapping anyway though, a set of my99/00 heads/cams could be on the cards.

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,788 Posts
The import is slightly different to the UK model so you would hope to achieve more than 250 with a VF35, and avcr, and power fc, and all the other supporting mods

Steve what you at ?

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
If you get an import then you have the same engine as the same year WRX wagon (upto 01).

UK cars have less cam lift with shorter duration and a smaller (TF035) turbo, this gives it more of a large engine feel 9and less of a turbo'd feel) it all depends on what you want, the restrictive cams mean you get later spool up than you would in an impreza and less benefit, so a TD05 is probably going to drive rather nastily on an EU foz.

Simon

·
Premium Member
3,169 Posts
The import is slightly different to the UK model so you would hope to achieve more than 250 with a VF35, and avcr, and power fc, and all the other supporting mods

Steve what you at ?
270 with the vf35. All very safe on a Dr Bob map..

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers guys.
Looking to go for around a 2001 model, and budget wise wouldn't want to go over 3 grand, but would like to keep it UK spec.

Can anyone link me to the different models that are available, can't seem to find it.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
No link that I'm aware of...but around your budget...

SF 2.0 S-turbo UK model, 99/00MY 168bhp, 2001-> 177bhp (slightly different turbo)
SF 2.0 TTB JDM 'Touring' model, auto only 240/250 Japanese ponies, so about 220bhp
SF 2.0 STB JDM 'Sport' model, manaul and auto some self levelling some not, engine as above.
SG 2.0 XT from 2003 on are just creeping into your price band.

Simon

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info guys.

So to put a Forester in Impreza terms:
When did the "classic" model run from and to? Were there revisions? What about the "newage" version, as I notice the cabin layout has the classic and newage designs.
I take it there was a year from when the ECU became mappable, is it the 99/00 onwards?
What model did the Subaru 4 pots come with, and from when?

Sorry for all the questions guys, would have thought there would have been info on Scoobypedia, and the rest of this site looks to be USDM and Australian.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
The 'classic' Forester ran from 97 to 2002 with a facelift at 00MY and the mechanical revisions for revised emissions regs at 01MY.
Newage (SG) is 2003 onwarsd with a facelift at 05MY
As Impreza the ECU becomes flashable at 99MY and live mappable at 01MY.
4 pots never fitted to Forester as standard, IMpreza 4 pots from classic/newage can be fitted easily enough (but not with standard 16" wheels), to fit matching 2 pot rears means an adaptor.

Simon

·
Registered
05 XT2.5
1,978 Posts
If you get an import then you have the same engine as the same year WRX wagon (upto 01).

UK cars have less cam lift with shorter duration and a smaller (TF035) turbo, this gives it more of a large engine feel 9and less of a turbo'd feel) it all depends on what you want, the restrictive cams mean you get later spool up than you would in an impreza and less benefit, so a TD05 is probably going to drive rather nastily on an EU foz.

Simon
TD05 here - 350hp, 365 torque, holds boost all the way up and loving it. Can still get 27 to the gallon. (But don't...)

That's on a 2.5 though.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Rookie, I recognise you and some others names from Scoobynet. there should be a Forester section on there.
Interesting about the 4 pots, I thought they were standard.
Thanks for the break down on the revisions. I really need to look at one in the flesh now. Don't ever see many about though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts