Registered
2008 Forester XT Limited
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,853 Posts
yes, you would still need an axleback (muffler in Subaru speak)...

I don't really understand dropping from 3" down to 2.5" pipe though. Considering the stock exhasut is roughly 2.5" (FXT axleback is 2.25"), I don't see a lot of gain here.

My opinion: Oakos shorty dp, stock mid, STi axleback OR do it right and go 3" all the way out...No inbetween.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Limited
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
yes, you would still need an axleback (muffler in Subaru speak)...

I don't really understand dropping from 3" down to 2.5" pipe though. Considering the stock exhasut is roughly 2.5" (FXT axleback is 2.25"), I don't see a lot of gain here.

My opinion: Oakos shorty dp, stock mid, STi axleback OR do it right and go 3" all the way out...No inbetween.
Doesn't the shorty pipe use the stock cat? Isn't one of the big reason for swapping the DP is to get a hi-flow or eliminate the cat?

The reason it drops from 3" to 2.5" is so you can bolt on a stock muffler. That's why it is the "stealthback" system.

I'd run the stealthback and mate an STi muffler to it. You would still get good performance gains, but keep it very quiet and stock looking. Going full 3" just seems like overkill unless your running a TON of power or just like noise. To me the added noise is not worth the small gains.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
I'm with Thefoos, either go 3" all the way or stick with 2.5". I'm loving the STi catback right now, so nice and quiet. Downpipes can be had used too, you can save some money that way.

Stan

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Honestly if you're going to get a full stealth kit I would go with the turboxs stealthback. And then possibly their FXT-RMA axleback (magnaflow, sounds perfect, probably a little too loud though).

Otherwise if you're going to piece something together I would just get a cheap bellmouth DP (something like a helix) and then get a muffler shop to custom make from the DP to the axleback. Not really a fan of the oakos blank plate design, or maddads overly complicated divorced setup (might as well just go externally gated).

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,853 Posts
Doesn't the shorty pipe use the stock cat? Isn't one of the big reason for swapping the DP is to get a hi-flow or eliminate the cat?

The reason it drops from 3" to 2.5" is so you can bolt on a stock muffler. That's why it is the "stealthback" system.

I'd run the stealthback and mate an STi muffler to it. You would still get good performance gains, but keep it very quiet and stock looking. Going full 3" just seems like overkill unless your running a TON of power or just like noise. To me the added noise is not worth the small gains.
I suppose my point was that if you are going to end with 2.5", just use the stock mid pipe. I like the factory style donut gasket, so I'd stick with a stock fitment 2nd cat pipe IF you are going to stick with 2.5"

I wouldn't be spending $700+ on an exhaust that necks down to 2.5". Thats simply my opinion though.

When it comes to TBE, bigger is always better (unless sound is an issue for you).

Stealth isn't a consideration for me either. There are so many slow a$$ honda's with coffee cans running around that your exhaust doesn't give anything away...

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,853 Posts
Honestly if you're going to get a full stealth kit I would go with the turboxs stealthback. And then possibly their FXT-RMA axleback (magnaflow, sounds perfect, probably a little too loud though).

Otherwise if you're going to piece something together I would just get a cheap bellmouth DP (something like a helix) and then get a muffler shop to custom make from the DP to the axleback. Not really a fan of the oakos blank plate design, or maddads overly complicated divorced setup (might as well just go externally gated).
TXS Stealthback has been my exhaust of choice. Best bang for the buck I've seen.

Disclaimer: I'm not getting kickbacks from TXS like others are...(just kidding if BAC5.2 happens into this thread...lol)

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Limited
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am not looking for sound. Not a big deal here. I aam looking for more gains and I was really interested in the DP, but that had the whole setup inc. the DP for a little more than just the DP by itself, or am I totally confused?

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT
2,502 Posts
I am not looking for sound. Not a big deal here. I aam looking for more gains and I was really interested in the DP, but that had the whole setup inc. the DP for a little more than just the DP by itself, or am I totally confused?
Well, you're going to realize most of your gains by doing the downpipe. Aftermarket catted downpipes can be had for as little as $300-350, with deals on used ones possible (I got mine for $150!). As funkymonkey mentioned, you can have a shop fab up a midpipe, or it's also possible to just use your stocker.

Based on what your goals seem to be, that would probably be the way to go.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
You figure, stock STi puts down a good amount more power than a stock WRX or FXT with identical downpipe and a tad larger muffler piping, and a different turbo. It is also very quiet. Many aftermarket midpipes will not have a resonator, so they may be louder. Your biggest bang for the buck will be a downpipe with a larger bellmouth and a larger turbo, catback won't make a huge difference in torque IMO (at least not at VF* levels).

Stan

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
I suppose my point was that if you are going to end with 2.5", just use the stock mid pipe. I like the factory style donut gasket, so I'd stick with a stock fitment 2nd cat pipe IF you are going to stick with 2.5"

I wouldn't be spending $700+ on an exhaust that necks down to 2.5". Thats simply my opinion though.

When it comes to TBE, bigger is always better (unless sound is an issue for you).

Stealth isn't a consideration for me either. There are so many slow a$$ honda's with coffee cans running around that your exhaust doesn't give anything away...
That makes sense. No need to spend $700+ for 2.5". I personally wanted to stick with 2.5", so I still have my XT midpipe connecting to my Cobb downpipe and STi muffler. Sound was the main issue for me choosing my setup though.

In the State of WA it is illegal to run modified exhaust, so a stealth back is definitely the way to go if you don't want to get hassled by the police. Some towns will pull you over if your muffler looks like it is something other than stock, even if it is quiet.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Limited
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't get an exhaust without engine management, especially on an 08...
S-I-L-K-E!!!1
I won't... all of this is for future.. But I want to plan it out and have everything ready to go when the time comes I can do it all.

Looking forward to the 24th. :woohoo:

I will bring my card (picture).I still have no luck on recovery. My damn comp won't recognize the card... Silly little things. But I will bring a clean card to take photos of the day.. Say hola to Greg for me.....

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Limited
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, you're going to realize most of your gains by doing the downpipe. Aftermarket catted downpipes can be had for as little as $300-350, with deals on used ones possible (I got mine for $150!). As funkymonkey mentioned, you can have a shop fab up a midpipe, or it's also possible to just use your stocker.

Based on what your goals seem to be, that would probably be the way to go.
DP at minimum... I would like to keep it mostly stock. I did that best bang for the buck thing. So far I have spent like 200 bucks on my suspension and have turned it into a totally different car..:)

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Sport
407 Posts
Definitely go with the TurboXS stealthback. Cheaper too. At least I know somewhere you can get it cheaper ;)

So you can do a high flow cat downpipe ONLY for 579 plus shipping, or an entire stealthback, with a high flow cat, for a little cheaper. I think its a no brainer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts