Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2004 XT
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see paddle shifters?? in a JDM SH forester?

i was surfing youtube and found this...

YouTube - SI???????

Translated (thanks to google) :Forester SH in the center console-mounted switch SI-DRIVE paddle switch operation,'s hands from the steering "S" "S #" "I" have to be able to switch smoothly.

anyone seen this??

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
The ability to add paddles ALMOST convinced me to get a 5EAT H6 Outback.... but it's still an auto, and I know I would have been disappointed.

That said, I was pretty sure the paddles were a 5EAT only thing, but who knows? I don't see them on Japanparts for the SH, and I know they sell them for the BL/BP 5EAT.

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,643 Posts
Well it is a nice move in the right direction. I enjoy the paddles on our rdx, and would be :biggrin::biggrin: if they brought them over here.

I thought I saw a "kit" that allows leggy wheel & paddles that are compatible with the 4eat...Is this something I had a dream of, or is it possible?

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,751 Posts
What's the point in paddle shifter if the transmission does not hold the gear? No on USDM, anyway.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
The paddle shifters and push button start have been on the SH since inception in Japan. :\

(At least it seems so on the turbo models)

Correction: push button start has been there since inception. paddle shifters are new. could this signify a 5EAT in JDM foresters?

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,054 Posts
I have them in my Legacy 3.6R, I tried them a few times, I don't really see me using them though. Not the same as really shifting by a long shot.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Well it is a nice move in the right direction. I enjoy the paddles on our rdx, and would be :biggrin::biggrin: if they brought them over here.

I thought I saw a "kit" that allows leggy wheel & paddles that are compatible with the 4eat...Is this something I had a dream of, or is it possible?
The Baja XT had a 4eat with VTD and paddle shifters, the ultimate setup (for 04+, no turbo the initial year, the baja had basically the same lifecycle as the forester but got killed off before the facelift). But STILL no one has tried it out. It had the same engine as the FXT and the driveline that the auto foresters SHOULD have had. I think its the only pre-canbus turbo 4eat that got VTD and paddle shifters. If my 4eat dies I'm going to try throwing the baja driveline in.

Pretty sure all the JDM foresters get the pushbutton start and all those sort of neat gadgets.

·
Registered
2004 FXT
71 Posts
I know!! The FXT got shafted on its auto transmissions. The Baja XT got the sportshift 4eat with VTD. And so did the 2003-2004 Legacy GT!

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,643 Posts
Hmmm so what exactly would be needed to swap from a Baja? I like having options & a back up plan.

I guess I could wait to see what the 6 cyl bi-turbo forester has to offer, if it ever makes it here...here I go dreaming again.

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
For me, the paddles are only one part of the equation.

As BAC2.5 pointed out, it's still the auto gearbox - and that has its limitations.

What I would jump-ship from my '05 Legacy 2.5GT for, in a split second, would be a proper automated manual: that would hopefully give me the fun-to-drive factor I'm after, and will allow me to appease the wifey with the availability of its automatic shifting capabilities (which will finally allow her to drive my vehicle, a point of her constant nagging :wink:).

I agree, it's definitely a step in the right direction, for those of us seeking to go this route....but it's definitely got a ways to go, too.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Hmmm so what exactly would be needed to swap from a Baja? I like having options & a back up plan.

I guess I could wait to see what the 6 cyl bi-turbo forester has to offer, if it ever makes it here...here I go dreaming again.
No ones tried it so not sure. You would likely need the TCU, and transmission, and shifter assembly(as I believe the sport shift ones are different from the gated forester one) and the rear diff as I believe they have a different FD (can't find any gear ratio specs for the baja). If you want the paddle shifters you would likely need the steering column stuff and some way to wire it up. Does anyone happen to have an 04-06 baja XT service manual?

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I know!! The FXT got shafted on its auto transmissions. The Baja XT got the sportshift 4eat with VTD. And so did the 2003-2004 Legacy GT!
Interesting, just looked into it and the 03-04 lgt seems to be the only nonturbo 4 cylinder to get a VTD transmission. Not sure if it had sportshift though. WHY SUBARU WHY did you not give us at least VTD!? I might have to sell my FXT and look for an 08 4eat XT sport. IMO VTD is the best AWD system aside from the 6speed DCCD. Definitely better than the viscous lsd in the 5mt.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,054 Posts
snip

WHY SUBARU WHY did you not give us at least VTD!? I might have to sell my FXT and look for an 08 4eat XT sport. IMO VTD is the best AWD system aside from the 6speed DCCD. Definitely better than the viscous lsd in the 5mt.
This is one of the reasons I didn't go with a new Forester. After having two other Scoobies with the VDC with VTD; I was hard pressed to go with the version that's on the Forester. It seems the VDC in the Forester is really only integrated to the brakes and not the tranny too. I'm sure the added weight of the cars I've driven with VDC / VTD help it is amazing how well they do in the snow.

·
Registered
2006 Forester 2.5 XT
33 Posts
Scandinavian FXT's has VTD (and VDC). Would be a lot cheaper to import one..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts