Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen this question in the past, mostly from owners new to Subaru. I thought I'd post the pic below. The "Mist" function on the wiper stalk is to be used to move the wiper blades one swipe (or as long as you hold the lever back) and not wash the windows. Mist refers to misting rain or road spray not the washers. For washers you push the button on the end of the stalk. All in the owners manual of course :p

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5I - 6 Speed
985 Posts
The most confusing is the rear wiper switch. Turn one way to clean, turn the other way for int., and on.

T

·
0 Posts
Hey, its just a tool to make sure that you, the driver, are awake enough to be driving. :D Damn irritating the first time I was in the cockpit. Had a gigantic bird strike right inline with my line of site. Smeared it before I figured out the mist button.

·
Asphalt Surfers Unlimited
2004 Forester XT
742 Posts
higgledy said:
The most confusing is the rear wiper switch. Turn one way to clean, turn the other way for int., and on.
Well, technically you can turn it either way for clean... ;)

·
Asphalt Surfers Unlimited
2004 Forester XT
742 Posts
blitzoid said:
I think you just reinforced his point...
Haha, I know... it confuses me somewhat when I use it too, I usually try to turn it up from intermittent and end up washing the window inadvertently. :D

R

·
0 Posts
Peaty said:
~
The "Mist" function on the wiper stalk is to be used to move the wiper blades one swipe (or as long as you hold the lever back) and not wash the windows.
~
I'm new to Subaru, but until now thought I had (finally!) figured out this wiper business...until reading this thread, that is.

On mine (2006 FX), absolutely nothing happens when I pull the lever toward me (driver). Contrary to the diagram and your apt description, my wiper blade does not move, not even once, when this lever is pulled back...no single swipe, no water spray, nothing.

What am I missing? Is there some combination of other settings that I may have stumbled into that cancels this specific operation? :icon_frown: There's only ONE washer-fluid reservoir that requires refilling, upfront in engine compartment, correct? :roll:

So far, after 2,500 miles, this seems to be the only possibly malfunctioning item I've encountered.

Thanks to you long-time Subites, I'm really starting to appreciate this site!!!! :cool:

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rab - It may be different on the 06, since I don't have one I can't say for sure. Are you holding the lever back or just flicking it? One way to verify how it's supposed to work is to check the owners manual. I'm sure it's in there. Since I think the CC stalk is different in 06 it may be the washer lever setup is too.

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,278 Posts
Peaty said:
rab - It may be different on the 06, since I don't have one I can't say for sure. Are you holding the lever back or just flicking it? One way to verify how it's supposed to work is to check the owners manual. I'm sure it's in there. Since I think the CC stalk is different in 06 it may be the washer lever setup is too.
It's the same for my 06 FXT. A quick flick will activate the wipers. I would think this is the same for all models, not just the XT.

R

·
0 Posts
SKSTI said:
It's the same for my 06 FXT. A quick flick will activate the wipers. I would think this is the same for all models, not just the XT.
Yep, I think it's just that mine is missing a cog or suffering from a loose connection or something. :icon_frown:

Well, at least I've got something for the warranty to cover when I take it back to dealer for first oil change in 3-4 weeks.

Thanks for the help, people. :grin:

·
Registered
none none
8,846 Posts
I have to say, the most annoying thing, is in our prius, the control stalk is almost exactly the same except pulling it back DOES wash, and pushing it upward is a single wipe.

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT Sport
3,073 Posts
this may sound dumb, but my wiper functions are so different from my other car that sometimes I still forget which combo of flicks, twists and button pushing works them the way I want. RainX to the rescue hahaha.

·
Registered
05MY Second SG6 4EAT > JDM 5MT
5,685 Posts
i have a little situation with mine. when i have the fuse for my wipers, the rear stays on all the time. i had to leave it unplugged in the rear tailgate. sucks! i've been too lazy in the 110*+ F weather to really find time to work on it. i'm hoping it's the switch or something and a short in the wiring somewhere. ughh...

_taF

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hahahaha - I just recorded an entire video about the "broken" windshield wiper control on my 2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X.

FYI - My 2006 Mitsubishi Outlander, when the wiper control is pulled back, activates BOTH wiper blades and pump, to keep things totally confusing.

Anyway, I recorded a somewhat humorous YouTube Video regarding this matter:

Enjoy!

Graham Leach

1 - 14 of 14 Posts