Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To it being national "drive like a b***end" day, or at least it's the holiday in the south west for it...

We all make mistakes, I can happily admit I mess up now and again, but some people are just terrifying:

Joining motorways at 30mph (with me behind them having to do the same!).

Sitting on the line between lane 1 and 2 whilst texting and driving... only to realise and proceed to move to lane 2...even though lane 1 was empty and you're driving a flatbed...... then to meander into lane 3... That is irritating enough, but when you've overtaken said van and the traffic up ahead comes to a near standstill, you just hope you're not going to end up like a sardine in a crushed can.

What else?? Ah, moving out a slow moving lane into 70mph traffic with no clear gap...

Couple that with 70 miles taking 2 hours on a motorway and I'm exhausted..**

** I know some of you live near London and 7 miles can take 2 hours... but down here things tend to move along at a decent pace..

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
3,078 Posts
This is why we have turbos, to go around the problem drivers so we can carry on happily and let someone else deal with them :LOL:

I imagine you'll have some more exciting traffic in the next couple weeks as Plymouth Uni starts up again.

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately it was gridlock on occasions, but turbo certainly did help on getting from 30 to 70 sharpish!

Uni traffic isn't great, but I can deal with lost parents in wrong lanes, at least they tend to look out of their depth and are obvious to be wary of...and apologetic...

It's the numbskulls today that wore me out!

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,506 Posts
I find that a tap on the wheel unleashing the power of an incredibly loud horn tends to correct many of the problems you noted, especially texting drivers.
The stock beep beep… Not so much.
For those that don't respond, a surface to surface missile option might be nice, but not currently available in the USA...
:devilish:
In many places in the US, texting is an offense that gets the driver an expensive citation.
If you do a hands free call to the constables, do they ever bother to address the situation?
Out here on the highways, dangerous driver behavior reporting is welcomed by those patrolling the highway.
Statistics say that texting drivers can be worse than drunks.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
3,078 Posts
In many places in the US, texting is an offense that gets the driver an expensive citation.
If you do a hands free call to the constables, do they ever bother to address the situation?
Out here on the highways, dangerous driver behavior reporting is welcomed by those patrolling the highway.
Statistics say that texting drivers can be worse than drunks.
Sadly here, the police wont necessarily turn up to burglaries or vandalism and instead give you a reference number to be able to deal with the insurance company :( Police turning up to a driver pre-occupied is pretty unlikely unless they're perhaps drunk or potentially guilty of something that a big fine can be issued.

I've got to say, while spending some time in Florida this summer, driving from Siesta Key (Great beach and seafood restaurant down that way) to Ocala, your dangerous drivers really take the prize - Very probably drunks taking to the roads at all hours veering between lanes, sometimes when you are in that lane, ignoring high beams and horns and carry on oblivious.

@DragonSubie7 Are your commerical vehicles like Semis etc speed limited at all? Under EU law all of ours are limited to 56mph max - Even some Fire Engines.

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hahahaha oh my, the horn!!. it's hard to gently/politely "toot" at someone in the foz...

It screams "#$%# LOOK OUT" when all you want to say is: "excuse me, I'm already parking in that space"...

Gets the job done though!

And yeh, as TMX said, our police are rarely free....

Motorcyclists sometimes obtain some damning evidence and you read the police don't pursue the cases because, I assume, it's not worth the efforts/paperwork just for courts to issue a slap on the wrist..

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,506 Posts
Out here in the West, semi trucks are limited by how much they are loaded and how fast they can go.
The Interstate has a 75mph limit posted in rural areas in my state for all vehicles, but trucks generally go faster than that any chance they can.

In the state of Nevada, the speed limit is 80mph in places, and that applies to all vehicles.
California "limits" trucks to 55 where it's 65 for cars, but you can get passed by them if you are doing 70..
IMHO this is incredibly stupid, because it creates a situation where there is a large speed differential between the vehicles.

I was about to get passed by a double semi yesterday on my motorcycle - I was only going 80 - So I went with the cars doing 85.
In Arizona most vehicles stay under that because 85+ is a felony.

For the horn, the idea is to sound like a 40 ton truck. Wake up the dozey git who is texting...
It works pretty well on my motorcycle when someone is about to "not see me".

I've got to agree with @TMX - I flew into Ft. Lauderdale and I'm on the Interstate... starts to rain... traffic slows a bit.. and somebody in a Ferrari goes by in the right hand breakdown lane in the neighborhood of 120, finds a break in traffic and goes nearly straight across all 4 lanes to take an exit on the left....
Dorothy, we're not in Kansas anymore...

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
3,078 Posts
Trucks within the EU are electronically limited to 56mph by law but some operators electronically limit them to much less, some as low as 50 to save fuel. It makes a huge speed differential compared to cars that can do 70 and realistically do much more usually.

Airhorns are the way forward and usually wake people up quickly.

Both drivers in the UK and US have horrific lane discipline and happy to poodle along at 60 in the overtaking/passing lanes, causing lines of traffic behind regardless of the speed limit or conditions. Probably my biggest pet peeve while driving in both countries

·
Administrator
17,312 Posts
Our trucks are speed limited to 100 Klm /hr. In this state phone detection cameras will be rolled out by December and there will be no warning signs (as there are for fixed speed cameras); they expect to raise $280 million a year in fines.

I traveled home via a mainly single lane road yesterday and got caught up for some time in a group of 6 cars where the lead vehicle would increase speed by at least 20 klm/hr every time we encountered an overtaking lane and would then drop below the speed limit after the overtaking lane - what a PIA! I finally got past in the slow vehicle lane when we arrived at an unsigned overtaking area that I knew well.

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah Kevin we have tools that do that speed up slow down **** here...

What really gets me is those people that will do 40mph regardless... so our country roads (but still main roads) are often quite winding, not many great overtake spots and they are 60mph max... the limit often drops to 40, 30, or even 20 when you hit some villages, but these jokers keep on cruising at 40 regardless...

In the past I've often found myself overtaking them shortly before a village entrance... I'll slow to the 30 limit only to have them near sitting in my boot through the village.

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5 STI Manual
309 Posts
I've got to say, while spending some time in Florida this summer, driving from Siesta Key (Great beach and seafood restaurant down that way) to Ocala, your dangerous drivers really take the prize - Very probably drunks taking to the roads at all hours veering between lanes, sometimes when you are in that lane, ignoring high beams and horns and carry on oblivious.
The drink drive limit is alot different to ours, when i was in cali over the summer, was chatting to the barman over drink drive limits, he said that based on my size, id be allowed 2 jd + cokes per hour and i should be ok. Someone bigger/smaller would have different tolerances. Not sure he was lying or not but chatting to people in Atlanta, it did seem like he was telling me the truth.

Same with phone use, friends in Texas and Atlanta both text and drive, hardly pay attention to the roads yet its fine but then ive found their driving style alot more sedentary compared to driving in the SE England.

Ian - have you encountered the white line lot yet? Ie the central line divider doesnt mean which side of the road you drive on, more like on-coming traffic like to straddle/have their wheels on it down country lanes and in town.

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,975 Posts
I feel your pain @Ianb1234 as I've had it all summer here with the tourism. I've just gotten used to the dramas that unfold on the single tracks and pothole infested roads as I just cba to get angry anymore ......I've got the dash cam in case of any mishaps but yes there are a ton of idiots on the roads this time of year.

Just a couple of days ago some twurp pulled into on coming traffic to miss a mouse!!!! Well that's what it looked like and nearly caused a head on with me, it's just as well I have Brembos. F**K he got an ear full :mad: and quickly took on the persona of a sheep. :ROFLMAO:

Roll on the snow so it's only me on the road as no other fkr can get through the white stuff like the Foz can.:devilish:

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Faith somewhat restored...

Finally did that required trip up the M5 and it was plain sailing! Nice comfy easy run, but slightly damp... and that was just my backside!!! Evidently my sunroof isn't blisteringly watertight!

I noticed a couple drops on the seat before I sat down and so I wiped them up, it had been monsoon type rain the day before, but those drops were the tip of the iceberg.. or assberg!

I assume the stitching is a weak point and the water soaked through, I wasn't drenched, just damp.

Looks like the drain holes in the sun roof might be blocked so I'll have to try and poke a cable through them!

Any idea where the outlet is?

·
Administrator
17,312 Posts
On mine they are in behind the rear of the wheel arch lining in the front - can't remember where the back drains finish up.

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,975 Posts
Back drains finish between the rear wheel arches and the rear light clusters AFAIR

1 - 18 of 18 Posts