Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 5MT
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2006 FXT is currently in the shop. It's a very new-to-me car and I've barely owned it a few weeks.

One day while driving my check engine came on, note that it was like -15 degrees. I was misfiring on Cylinder Number 1 after I pulled the code but it ran perfectly fine (with the occasional hiccup from misfiring). It only misfired very rarely and only for a few seconds when it did.

A few days pass and it is not misfiring at all, check engine is off, all is good. I had a service appointment scheduled anyways so I brought it in for the hell of it since I have a warranty and I figured one of the coilpacks must have been bad.

While it's at the dealer I get a call saying that it's not spark plugs or coil packs, and a compression test was conducted and it yielded very great results. But then they proceeded to tell me that they think my valve train was the cause of the misfire...? They did not do any further testing aside from messing with coil packs, spark plugs, and a compression test.

--- Note that while driving to the dealership I was bangnin on all 4 no problems at all. ---

If I have good compression how could I be misfiring due to valves not seating properly? Basically they said they think the warranty will consider it pre-existing and not cover the cost which will be very high since they want to pull the motor and replace all the valves.

I told them don't touch anything, don't do anything, put the car back together and let me take it. I want to bring it to an independent Subaru place and have them look at it.

What do you think my problem could be? It has not misfired since it warmed up to upper teens/low twenties.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Things could be sealing when cold (they probably did a compression check on a cold engine), but when things heat up and expand maybe a valve isn't getting fully closed. Happened on here before.

Stan

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 5MT
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Things could be sealing when cold (they probably did a compression check on a cold engine), but when things heat up and expand maybe a valve isn't getting fully closed. Happened on here before.

Stan
Seems to be the opposite for me, however.

It does makes sense, cold valves are smaller and that leaves more room for air to escape compression.

It's a pretty big mess right now and it sucks because this "pre-existing condition" crap is going to be a nightmare.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts