Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
N/A N/A JDM Impreza WRX STi R & RA Ver. V/VI MY99-00
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I am not new to Subaru by any means but Forester specific I am green. I started back in 2002 with a brand new impreza WRX. I was looking for a new car at them time and was going to get an Acura RSX but then Subaru announced that they were bringing the WRX to America. Well a few months later I was buying my WRX. I have had that car for 17 years and have loved every moment of it. Sadly on May 4th of this year i was rear ended and it was totaled. So currently it is sitting in my driveway and I am need to start scavenging parts.

So now this is where this large forum comes in. While I love my bug eye I am also not 20yo anymore. So what I am looking to do is find a nice GS5 and build a nice sleeper. Now I know that the GS5 and my GD are identical chassis so a lot of my parts will move over. Because of what my WRX can do I have wondered how well the GS5 setup with handle it. I tracked my WRX and would like to track the Forester but I am worried about the stability at higher speeds. And yes I understand the need for proper suspension setup and tire choice. I am more worried about how well planted it will be at higher speeds. In my WRX I had issues with it floating at times until I did get a spoiler on it and got some downforce going. Obviously with a wagon that will be different.

So does anyone have any experience with a GS5 at higher speeds in track conditions and how it responds? What are things I should be looking out for? Is the spoiler setup that the JDM STI GS5 had enough or will I need to consider a diffuser?

I appreciate any information that flows from here. I know enough to get myself into a lot of trouble but sometimes not enough to get myself out. If your curious what I will be putting into the Forester let me know. It is not a short list and this post is long enough.

·
Registered
1998 forester
111 Posts
Welcome!

Looks like we both started off with bugeyes, though I still have mine and will be for sale later on. Picked up an sf for my wife and it has been pretty solid. Can't comment on high speeds but I used to know quite a few folks who have autox with them. For higher speeds, the geometry is a little different it seems. It is a little taller, more surface area to streamline, and a little heavier iirc. If anything, I would think things like a rear upper spoiler and front splitter would help with downforce.

·
Registered
N/A N/A JDM Impreza WRX STi R & RA Ver. V/VI MY99-00
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I definitely will. Waiting on my check from Geico then need to find a good chassis but I will document it along the way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts