Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2009 XT
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay PLEASE someone know what to do. My 15 week old puppy likes to poop in his cage when we go out. And I make sure he goes before we leave. I am getting really sick and tired of cleaning it up all the time. I dont go out just cause of this. Today I was out for not even 25 min and there was poop EVERYWHERE! and he went before we left to trick or treat. I gave him the whole cage could this be the problem. If so how much should i make it with the divider?

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,458 Posts
How big is his cage? He should have just enough room to turn around. Now for the bad news. I had a MinPin who would poop in his crate and then dance in it when I put him in it. I stuck this out for over a year and it never got better. I eneded up building an addition on my house that had an attached dog run and could be hosed out. He would still crap inside.:furious: Yeah, I'm an idiot that loves his animals too much.

·
Registered
2009 XT
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the crate is big enough for when he is full grown he will be fine. Hubby picked it out when we bought him.

here he is in it. Could it possibly be anxiety?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Puppy is Pooping in Cage

Does your cage have a divider? You need to only give the dog enough room to lay down in. Don't keep food in the crate, only water. If you give the dog too much room, they will use the free space to poop and pee in. But if you only give them room for themselves, they will not do any 'business' where they have to lay. Dogs hate laying in their 'business'.

Do this, and also make sure to take the puppy out every hour and after feeding time -when they are in the crate and out- and begin to increase it as he/she gets older.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,458 Posts
My dog's crate wasn't too big, but he was just certifiably insane. Definitely subdivide that crate. That cage is big enough to rent the rest out to a small family.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,330 Posts
That cage is way way way way too big. I have crated my dogs and they never poop in it.

Either divide teh crate into a smaller size or buy another.

The key:

Dog should JUST be able to turn around. Thats it.

I totally agree. We blocked off out crate so out lab just has enough room. Anymore than that, they tend to go poop and pee.

·
Registered
2001 SOLD!
1,420 Posts
Yup, make it as small as possible. It will not poop where it lives. As the dog grows, you increase the size of the cage. It isn't cruel. It's the opposite. They feel safer in a tight area. Do not forget that dogs are burrowing animals. Wolves are a perfect example!!:icon_wink:

·
The Modfather
2016 BRZ Limited - Manual 6 Speed Manual
8,097 Posts
I agree with the others you need to make it smaller inside. Do you have a divider? I actually came across mine yesterday and you can have it if you think it will fit. I can measure it if you like.

PS when the dog is in the crate you should remove the collar, it can get caught on the crate and the dog could strangle itself.

·
Registered
2009 XT
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well epic fail time for me lol. I am not strong enough to hook the divider in the cage. I know i know. Zeus is only 15 weeks and already pulls the **** outta me. And i had the Divider in half assed only one side hooked n he still pooped in there. He whined after he pooped in there but during the day when we are home he lets me know he needs to go out. Everyone is telling me its separation anxiety when we go out but damn lol. He is fully trained during the day and has been at night till last night. So what size cage should he be in?

·
Registered
2007 STi
0 Posts
STi driver here for a 1 time reply.
However,I may change my mind as all your topics look related to the Foresters' 1st cousin,The STi.:icon_biggrin:

FXT-I just want to first say you are FTW as your trying,reaching out
for answers.
I want you to realize that this is only one interjection on this topic,
from one of many types of trainers.
I primarily train federally employed/owned sniffers i.e. explosives,narcotics,agriculture etc...
This topic is a fundamental puppy training issue for all new owners w/dogs under 5 to 6 months.
In outline form here is the hard truth.

1.Pups need walked/out of kennel 1 x every 60 to 90 mins.
2.Pups should never be left alone for longer than 5 minutes.
3.Pups MUST eat 4 meals daily w/water replacements.If they eat less
they could die.
They have very delicate glucose metabolisms,blood sugar neutrality is crucial.
4.Pups bladders are stealth.hedrinks h20=pee in 3 to 10 minutes, and digestive systems process nutrients in rapid time ,15 to 30 minutes. =they need to ''go'' #2 every 15 to 30 after each of the 4 meals [& even then some].
When he ''goes'' lightly praise then play/walk.
then repeat this type of re enforcement.

Routine,routine routine,If you need to get a sitter,get one.
Keep the pup near you at night on the floor,in kennel,w/ door open.
Keeping them locked up in a small space is a popular school of thought that is just a temp option.
In the long run a group of other problems, much more serious than waste management will ''creep up''.
5.Never scold the animal for what a healthy pup has zero choice over.
As your pup becomes older,training wheels come off,dog becomes more self reliant as its' muscles [bladder] etc... can wait to go a lot longer.
be patient,love your animal with all you have to give.No yelling,no hitting.
pm me here if you need,if not then good luck.:icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
2009 XT
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
See This is where I get confused. So many people tell me to scold him for doing wrong(chewing, accidents, and biting), even the vet said to. I have never really trained a puppy and my husband has. I def get frustrated easily. Zeus is doing great without going the bathroom in the house anymore unless he just cant hold it. And My 4 year old son likes to beat up on him and I cant seem to stop that either. I am at a loss for all of this. I cant take him to classes cause I dont have a baby sitter. I know everyone tells me I need patience lol. I dont have any at all. And He isnt aloud to be upstairs where we sleep. He is only aloud on the main floor. So all of this is def hard. So i need to break myself from the scolding and the yelling at him. I am just lost for what to do next with everything.

·
Registered
2009 XT
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have you tried the Potty Patch? :shrug: As Seen on TV

LOL Yeah I will not try that. And it doesnt help that the owners before us let their dogs piss and **** everywhere in the freaking house. I am still trying to not move my furniture till we get new carpet for this purpose. My MIL was like littler train him. And I told her she was crazy no husky is going to be littler trained lol. I want to put his bed in his crate but I cant cause he just loves to poop in it. Mostly when we are gone. Can we now fast forward to may lol

·
Registered
2009 XT
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have you tried the Potty Patch? :shrug: As Seen on TV
I know.
thats why I say ''hard truth'' &
Dog ''$itter".
A retired fam member is FTW,but a long shot.
FYI. I am a SAHM while the hubby works his *** off to keep me home with the kids. If it werent for the military I wouldnt be able to stay home with my kids or even have a dog for this matter. Kinda wanting a Lab now lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts