2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright so I'm looking at a Fozzie on Craigslist with the following specs:

"2001 Forester
2.5 L engine
5 speed manual
Power everything

Blue exterior, grey interior, great condition. Has lots of new stuff. New tires, brakes, all fluids fresh. Just recently did tune up and all fluid flushes. Car gets 28-32 miles per gallon. Great in snow, runs and looks excellent. Must sell IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for looking.
Mileage is 84,000. "

He's asking $6,500!!

Quick questions (I have no time right now to research due to school >.<)
Are the '01 Foresters decent? Do they have any known problems with them? Would you guys suggest something else? Also, what should I ask the seller before meeting him to see the car / buying it??

As far as modding goes, is it possible to put stereo controls on the steering wheel of this car (ie. replace with a steering wheel with the controls)?

I'll probably see if I can go down to look at the car this weekend so wish me luck!

Thanks soo much for your help guys!

EDIT: Here's the latest email I have sent the seller:
Alright so I'm going to be working all weekend and the only time I could come and have a look at the car would be around 1pm on Sunday (January 10th). We still haven't heard back from our mechanic so on Sunday it would solely be us myself and my dad coming down to have a look.

A few questions came to mind since we last spoke;
Do you have all the service records?
Are you the only owner?
Has there been any problems with the clock? (seems to go out on 2001 Foresters , but not too big a concern)
Is the car an S or L model, and if it's S, does it have the premium package (from the pics it looks like an L)?

Lastly, I was researching pricing for this car and on Kelly Blue Book the suggested price for your car was $6,420 while Consumer Reports suggests $5,800 for the car with an auto transmission. Would you be willing to settle on a lower price than you originally asked for (especially since there seems to be a few minor repairs I'd have to do if I bought the car)?

Let me know how if / how you would like to arrange to meet (phone, address, etc) and we'll see where things go from there!

-Dempsey

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ohhh well I don't need to tell time haha.. The one's in my mom's foz flicker when I turn on the "battery drain switch" so I wonder if that's the same problem?

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay so I talked to the seller and the only problems he mentioned were that the car needs a window switch (apparently for $70) and he said the alternator may need to be replaced ($150-$250?) because it whines. He said the timing belts haven't been replaced and the head gaskets haven't leaked since he's had the car.

With that said, I think I might be going down to look at the car on Sunday nad will hopefully bring it back up to Tahoe to have our Subie mechanic take a look at it and if all goes well, I may be learning to drive stick in the next few days!

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Okay so I talked to the seller and the only problems he mentioned were that the car needs a window switch (apparently for $70) and he said the alternator may need to be replaced ($150-$250?) because it whines. He said the timing belts haven't been replaced and the head gaskets haven't leaked since he's had the car.

With that said, I think I might be going down to look at the car on Sunday nad will hopefully bring it back up to Tahoe to have our Subie mechanic take a look at it and if all goes well, I may be learning to drive stick in the next few days!
If its whining, its more likely the A/C belt tensioner than the alternator. Good luck with it! The 01's are a solid choice.

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is that an expensive fix? I'll have $1.5 k left over at the price he set so I'd like to be able to fix it if it is a problem :) Thanks for all the input guys

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
Ask for service records.
Where was the service done?
Bring paper towel and check all the fluids. Especially the colour of the trans and oil.

If freshly changes the oil should be a honey colour NOT black.

Wear your crappy clothes and get a look under the car.
Check tire wear. Is it uneven?

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,699 Posts
You can almost bank on a Head Gasket. Allow 1200+.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
While the 01 can have headgasket failure, its not a sure thing like in the 98 dohc motors. Check the external surfaces by the headgasket (where the head meets the block) the sohc gets an external headgasket leak rather than the internal leak to the cooling system.

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the input. I called my dad and he said "this isn't a good deal, I was on consumer reports." I don't really care what CR says about the car as long as you guys say it's a good one! Anywho, I hope all goes well and we can have the car looked at. It seems perfect so far :)

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
Is that an expensive fix? I'll have $1.5 k left over at the price he set so I'd like to be able to fix it if it is a problem :) Thanks for all the input guys
A timing belt job will set you back around $1200-1500, depending on how thoroughly it is done. If one of the idlers is whining you might want to get it done, even though the service interval isn't until 105k.

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
225 Posts
For what it's worth, this is what your dad is looking at. I'm sure people on this forum are already aware of the common issues anyway...Good luck! Sounds like a good deal to me.

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for that chart, my dad actually just showed it to me... However, after reading about the car on CR more, I have found nothing but positives about the car so I'm still convinced to get one..

On a side note, KBB Suggests for a "Good" 2001 Forester, one would expect to pay around $6,500. Consumer reports however, suggests only $5,800 for the 2001 S model. I'm not sure if I should keep looking or try and reach a price agreement... Hmmm

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
225 Posts
On a side note, KBB Suggests for a "Good" 2001 Forester, one would expect to pay around $6,500. Consumer reports however, suggests only $5,800 for the 2001 S model. I'm not sure if I should keep looking or try and reach a price agreement... Hmmm
I use Craigslist extensively and have NEVER paid full price or received my asking price for any sale. People expect to haggle. Low ball him a bit and settle somewhere in the middle. That's my $0.02.

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well considering he just had all the fluids replaces, brakes, and tires replaced, I'll start at maybe $5,600 especially since it's a manual and on Consumer Reports it suggests $5,800 for an auto tranny.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.