Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we lost 3 cars total in the flood and we went out and bought a 06 Forester, now its time to get a second car. I have a long commute so AWD is going to **** me on the gas mileage so what do you guys think I should get. I would like mileage in the high 30s, 2000 or newer. I am thinking VW GTI any ideas?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,459 Posts
Noooo, don't get a VW product!! (unless you enjoy driving rentals while your car is in the shop)

I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but the 06 Civic looks pretty nice to me.

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
If I didn't do so much traveling in the NE where AWD has really saved me big time in the past 14-16 yrs, I would consider the Civic, or stand in line for the Prius/Hybrid. A neighbor has had one for 9 months. So far, I'm impressed. I want to see how it does in the long run. She traded a Pontiac Vibe, She HATED it !! Don't know if she realizes both are Toyotas.

·
Administrator
29,459 Posts
The Prius would normally be my first choice, but, knowing Mike's commute (mostly wide open freeway), I don't think he would get the full benefits mpg-wise. The Prius really shines in city driving where you can make the most of the hybrid-electric engine.

Just curious, ferret, what did your wife hate about the Vibe?

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
A few ideas:

1) Find a 2.2L impreza from days gone by. They're plenty peppy, get good mileage, and a all around blast to drive
2) The aforementioned civic, or find the older (2005) civic SI hatch. I imagine you could get one on the cheap, and they're supposed to be fantastic for daily driver use. Rally-style shifter would be cool too.
3) Acura RSX (not the type-S, since you'll lose the mileage)
4) Toyota Corolla
5) Scion XA or XB (35+mpg, easily, i like the Xa a lot more)
6) Ford Focus
7) If you're feeling adventerous in terms of reliability... mini cooper.

Used to have a VW TDI. Loved the mileage (got 40mpg driving like a total donkey, with no trouble) Hate the dealers and customer service. Problems (esp. electrical parts failure) will happen more than you'd like, and they'll be expensive to repair.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
pleiad7 said:
I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but the 06 Civic looks pretty nice to me.

[flamesuit on] You can't be serious, thats gotta be one of the.. taste-less car's I've ever seen [/flamesuit off]

I'd go for an impeza sedan/wagon.. those cars are damn near indestructable

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
It is a divorced neighbor with 2 kids under age 9. She wanted something reliable and good in the snow. The salesman pused a bottom of the line, leftover Vibe.

From day 1 she didn't like how it drove, handled, or the fact it was lousy in the snow. Her 94 Dodge Acclaim 4 cyl auto was better. After a new set of tires to try to make it handle better, she drove her friends Prius (a standard non-hybrid). That was it. Being her commute is under 10 miles each way, she waited 4 months....for a the color she wanted.

Now she smiles when I see her drive by. She's also very big on hiking and nature, so I think that played REAL BIG into her choice.

Heck my wife still owns a 79 Spitfire (original owner)...right thru Saab Turbo's. And now with kids, a Highlander...until they are gone....then we'll have to see what she gets into again.

·
Administrator
29,459 Posts
SenorSubie said:
[flamesuit on] You can't be serious, thats gotta be one of the.. taste-less car's I've ever seen [/flamesuit off]

I'd go for an impeza sedan/wagon.. those cars are damn near indestructable
Yeah, but you will never see 30+ mpg on any Subie, at least here in CA, and AWD is pretty expendable in this area on a commuter car since we don't deal with snow and ice. Honda has a pretty good track record in terms of reliability as well.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Honda's are great cars, we own two honda's, ones an 03 and the other is a 98, and haven't had a single problem with ither one

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
mikeyfireman said:
So we lost 3 cars total in the flood and we went out and bought a 06 Forester, now its time to get a second car. I have a long commute so AWD is going to **** me on the gas mileage so what do you guys think I should get. I would like mileage in the high 30s, 2000 or newer. I am thinking VW GTI any ideas?
Uh, you are not getting AWD b/c of gas mileage but are looking into a GTI?...did I miss something? Did you mean a TDI? You want gas mileage, get a hybrid or a diesel.

If you want regular gasoline...then you have honda civic, toyota corrola, toyota echo, or a standard SLOW mini cooper...that is all I can think of for now...I won't name american cars b/c I will never buy one...(*pkay maybe a corvette or CTS-V if I had money to burn)...but that is just me...GOD BLESS AMERICA!

·
06 X Auto
2006 Auto Auto
976 Posts
My 2¢, I rented a Corolla last summer and drove from LA to Oakland. I got 32-38 mpg with an automatic doing 70-75 with an occasional 80-85 to pass along interstate 5. Seats were not too comfortable, otherwise it was fine. Drove an 06 Civic, VERY comfortable seats but firm ride. Much nicer than the Corolla but since it's a new model they want list price or more.

I bought my Forester for less than what the Civic 4dr EX would have cost.

I'm getting 26 mpg on my new X auto with 1500 miles on the odometer.

There's also the Toyota Yaris coming out...up to 40 mpg.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took the mazda 3 out for a spin, not bad and great gas mileage but very small

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
I saw a diesel VW Rabbit pickup truck for sale in Santa Rosa. Ha ha! :p

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I already have to leave the house by 530, a vw pick up I would have to leave at about 3

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
pleiad7 said:
Noooo, don't get a VW product!! (unless you enjoy driving rentals while your car is in the shop)

For a commuter, 2006 Honda Civic. Heck I will go for the high-revving and screaming Si version. Even the Si has good reputable gas mileage. If I still work at my old job, which was a 50 miles two way commute, I would definitely take the Civic. But now Mr. Bus gets me to work and back :p

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,687 Posts
tre36 said:
For a commuter, 2006 Honda Civic. Heck I will go for the high-revving and screaming Si version. Even the Si has good reputable gas mileage. If I still work at my old job, which was a 50 miles two way commute, I would definitely take the Civic. But now Mr. Bus gets me to work and back :p
I will agree with tre36. If your going with a new civic, spend the extra to get the 190 hp Si version. My buddy has an 06' Dx version of the new civic. Looks good I think, interior is also nice. Not quick by any means though, he's got a full exhaust (with header) and can't keep up with my forester. I've just got CAI and a muffler. Buy the Si with comprable gas mileage ;).

·
Harbor Fright
2005 XT
363 Posts
The new Civics are nice- but does anyone else chuckle at their billboard speedometers, blazing away in 2" tall digits proclaiming "63" (or whatever) as you pass them on the highway?...

I can see that ticket- the officer states before the judge that he read your excessive speed off of your speedo...

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring CVT
1,349 Posts
I am not a VW (or German car fan), but the GTi seems to be in a class of its own. Of all the vehicles I have driven, this car is as fun to drive as any. It is almost like a 2 door Forester minus the Awd.

Hybrid... No. TDI, maybe. At least they always get their expected MPG, plus you can use the air without sacraficing 20% of your mpg.

If I ever have to resort to an institutional Corolla/Echo/Base Civic, I'll take the bus.

D

·
0 Posts
I got rid of my gti for my forester,I do miss the gti because it was a little rocket ship, nice pep, but there was some turbo lag, but I think that a tdi would be a good buy, that or the civic hybrid, they have a great resale value.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
30 Posts
If you're looking for something somewhat sporty (good handling/decent acceleration) and something that gets pretty good gas mileage, you couldn't go wrong with a Mazda 3s or a base Mini Cooper (I have one of these, and they rule...they got all the bugs out after 2004).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts