Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the car but the MPG is a killer. I have almost 3800 miles in the first month. I get around 22mpg since i drive mostly highway. That is really bad. I see the dents in my wallet and me don't like it. I am considering a 2010 Corolla LE. I am kinda bumped since I loose quite alot of money but over the long term I will make it back. about 7k to be exact since I put the tow and fog lams and tints. Any input on this will be highly appreciate it...

·
Registered
2002 forester 2.0 LPG automatik
82 Posts
LPG ??? Costs are around 1600 euro in europe.

I have owned 4 subaru's on lpg and only had minor problems. I think I have driven 400.000 kilometers on lpg.

Subaru's Saab and volvo are the best on lpg.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I have owned 4 subaru's on lpg and only had minor problems. I think I have driven 400.000 kilometers on lpg.

MPG miles/gallon... around 23mpg = 10.5L/100km

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited
1,542 Posts

He was talking a miles per gallon.

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT
2,501 Posts
I have a 2010 that i just have for one month...
It's common for many vehicles and especially Subarus (from what I've seen) to improve their gas mileage after the initial break-in period. The ECU adapts to your driving style and the motor just seems to start running a bit more efficiently once it's got some more miles on it.

Getting rid of it would be an awful financial decision. Unless you drive a HUGE amount of miles per year, it would take you a very long time to make up the difference in gas savings if you replace it with another new car. I don't know how you're calculating it, but you would eat a nice chunk of depreciation on the Forester, plus you'd be stuck with the depreciation on whatever you replace it with.

I would wait another month and see what your gas mileage is like at that point. 22 mpg is pretty low, most people here do better than that on the highway. You're never going to get anything approaching Corolla mpg, but you knew that going in - and the Corolla is nowhere near as versatile as a Forester. All-Wheel Drive does cost you some mpg, but considering the improved safety given the way my car performs in the rain and snow, the tradeoff is well worth it.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's common for many vehicles and especially Subarus (from what I've seen) to improve their gas mileage after the initial break-in period. The ECU adapts to your driving style and the motor just seems to start running a bit more efficiently once it's got some more miles on it.

Getting rid of it would be an awful financial decision. Unless you drive a HUGE amount of miles per year, it would take you a very long time to make up the difference in gas savings if you replace it with another new car. I don't know how you're calculating it, but you would eat a nice chunk of depreciation on the Forester, plus you'd be stuck with the depreciation on whatever you replace it with.

I would wait another month and see what your gas mileage is like at that point. 22 mpg is pretty low, most people here do better than that on the highway. You're never going to get anything approaching Corolla mpg, but you knew that going in - and the Corolla is nowhere near as versatile as a Forester. All-Wheel Drive does cost you some mpg, but considering the improved safety given the way my car performs in the rain and snow, the tradeoff is well worth it.
I got about 24 with the tires over inflated but it was really noisy. I get around 22 in the city and very good on the highway... I got as much as 35.7. Bu when off highway is abystaml. I have right now 3800 miles in one month:) I could have 12k over a 5yr span. Why I am upset is the fact that i spent around 1700 on new tires, tow hitch and fogs.

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,776 Posts
I love the car but the MPG is a killer. I have almost 3800 miles in the first month. I get around 22mpg since i drive mostly highway. That is really bad. I see the dents in my wallet and me don't like it. I am considering a 2010 Corolla LE. I am kinda bumped since I loose quite alot of money but over the long term I will make it back. about 7k to be exact since I put the tow and fog lams and tints. Any input on this will be highly appreciate it...
Can you slow down? I've found that my '09 X, with a stick, will get 22-23 mpg around 80 mph, but down below 70 it will push up over 26. Steady state at 50 (which I can't tolerate, really) seems to be solidly over 30 mpg.

Make sure you have plenty of air in the tires, maybe 5 lbs or so over the stock recommendation (my 16" tires per door sticker are supposed to be 30F/29R but I'll run 35/34 or so, which does seem to make a difference).

Also, if you end up keeping the Subaru, moving to LRR (low rolling resistance) tires would be expected to help a bit. Maybe even an air dam. But driving slow will make the biggest difference--but with the number of miles you drive, slowing down will take a lot more of your time.

My wife has an '07 Civic and in her 86 mile (round trip) daily commute, she is getting 35-36 mpg, so I am envious of that. We bought the Civic very much on purpose, knowing her commute was going to be that long. But when she had a shorter city-drive commute, she could only get about 28 or so mpg out of it. (Her prior car was a Mercury Sable that got ~20 mpg in the city.)

George

·
Registered
2010 2010 2.5X AT Premium
104 Posts
I have a 2010 2.5X Premium, and it's rare for me to get less than about 24MPG in urban driving; and it's more like 27MPG on the highway. With a little work I can get 30 MPG on highway driving (I averaged 30.9 MPG on Highway 33 between Coalinga and Taft the other day), but that's really kinda pushing it.

I'd say 22MPG on highway driving -- unless that's stop / start highway driving or extremely fast driving -- indicates there may be something wrong...

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,776 Posts
I got the michelin primacy mxv4... i think they are low rolling resistance
They are...were you the guy who went with 225/65x16's? If so, you could add 1-2% to your mileage figures because of the larger diameter tire.

Also, I've found that tires get slightly better gas mileage as they age. Brand new, sticky rubber tires do seem to cost a bit of mileage, and as the tires wear, they usually do better because of less rubber flex and the rubber hardens a bit as well.

If I drove the kind of miles you do, I might also be thinking about a car with better mileage--as I said above, we got my wife a Civic because her job was moving. And for what it's worth, we put Primacy MXV4's on it to replace the crappy stock Goodyear RS/A's.

Good luck,
George

·
Registered
2010 Forester
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah... I am the dude with the 225/65/16s. I might up the air in them to about 35 all around. Also the 22-23 is town, but that is driving so slow the drivetrain might make jerky sounds and I do not want to damage it. I do have to shift above 1900 or the sound and roughness is on.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It will take you many years to make back the difference in money -- and that's just to get to break even. Why bother for such a small benefit?

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,784 Posts
At a steady 70mph on the highway I get 27/28mpg outta my 2008 N/A bone stock.
35 mpg would be nice but it ain't gonna happen with AWD.

The Durango I had before the Subies got 14mpg on the highway,10 (maybe)in town.

I'm happy.

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,205 Posts
id kill for 22mpg. I am buying a second vehicle to combat my $500/month gas bill. But as other have mentioned is a few bucks a month worth giving up the safety and versatlity of a forester for a corlla

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,776 Posts
I got about 24 with the tires over inflated but it was really noisy. I get around 22 in the city and very good on the highway... I got as much as 35.7. Bu when off highway is abystaml. I have right now 3800 miles in one month:) I could have 12k over a 5yr span. Why I am upset is the fact that i spent around 1700 on new tires, tow hitch and fogs.
If you are comparing city mpg in your $12k price tag, I believe you are overestimating what the Corolla would get. (I have a spreadsheet that does this kind of stuff.)

When my wife had a city commute with her Civic, it got 28 mpg (and maybe even a bit less in the winter with heavier traffic and alcohol in the fuel). Also consider insurance costs. My Foz is $2-300 cheaper than my wife's Civic to insure per year--not sure what a Corolla would cost, but I'll bet it will be more (talk to your agent).

So if you only recover 5 grand over a 5 years span, and take a $4k bath on the Foz right now, you ain't so far ahead, and you give up some real utility...

George

·
Registered
2009 FXT
202 Posts
My 09 XT can get 27mpg on the highway and around 22mp in the city. I think your nuts if you take a $7k loss on the forester to save a few bucks every month. Maybe you just made the wrong decision to begin with

1 - 20 of 84 Posts