Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2004 2.0 X
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of 'what next' car choice. So I had a drive in the Legacy, I didn't like it.

Why?

It was smooth, quieter, lower down.....but it felt removed from what I like about the Forester. Not too agricultural and definitely not too 4x4y.... a sort of half-house. I thought the Legacy would be this..but it doesnt have as much 'soul' ....does this make sense?

Its another Forester I need isnt it?

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts
There are 3 trim models (here in the states anyway), each one has a VERY different feel. You kind of have to drive each one to really make a deciding factor on the car. I got the chance to drive three, each of the 3 engines available, and it was a real eye opener.....

I drove the 2.5i CVT (bland), 3.6R 5-Speed Auto (Mmm), and 2.5GT 6-speed Manual (WooHoo!). Each one was a COMPLETELY different vehicle IMO.

First off, all the cars drove amazingly well. Steering, handling, brakes, ride were all top notch, but my satisfaction of a car comes with the engine. I like having some grunt behind my right foot, so here's how it played out...

I drove the 170 hp CVT first. It felt alright, but was very bland. CVT worked good for being a CVT, but I've never liked them in any car, and the car felt underpowered with the mere 170hp. Overall excitement feeling: 2.5 out of 10

Next, I drove the 3.6R 5-Speed Auto. Silky smooth engine, decent gearbox. It had a lot of toque and pulled strong throughout the RPM range. It felt urgent down low like it just wanted to go. Overall excitement feeling: 7.5 out of 10

But the one I was saving for last was the 2.5GT with the 6-speed manual. (it's hard to find ANY new cars these days offering a manual still, sad). But this one had it! Let me just say that even though the difference in power between the GT and the 3.6R is only 9hp, the GT just felt like it had MUCH more power. It's probably just the way the turbo hits that makes it feel so much more alive, but overall, it pinned me in my seat and kept me giggling the whole time. Overall Excitement feeling: 9.5 out of 10

Each one has it's own purpose, and it's own market. The GT is for the petrol-heads for sure. Even though the new Legacy looks a little odd and heavy, it's the drive that will either make or break it for you. Once you drive either of the exciting ones (3.6R or 2.5GT), you'll find yourself falling for them. The 2.5GT is the one that has all the soul.

·
Registered
2004 2.0 X
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem is the 2.5GT isnt available here :(

Its a nice car but I want to hear click-clinks of linkages, etc etc. Maybe I should have a go in the old style 5dr 2.0T WRX Imprezza.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts
Which one did you end up driving? I'm not familiar with the ones offered in the UK.

EDIT: Nevermind, just looked. Deisel and the N/A (and you only have the tourer available right now).

Good news is it looks like you guys get the "blackened" headlamps, whereas we get the gaudy chrome ones.

·
Registered
2004 2.0 X
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Which one did you end up driving? I'm not familiar with the ones offered in the UK.

EDIT: Nevermind, just looked. Deisel and the N/A (and you only have the tourer available right now).

Good news is it looks like you guys get the "blackened" headlamps, whereas we get the gaudy chrome ones.
Exactly. It just felt...'nice'. My current Forester isnt fast, far from it but it does have bagfulls of character.

·
Registered
1995 Legacy Sedan
95 Posts
Thinking of 'what next' car choice. So I had a drive in the Legacy, I didn't like it.

Why?

It was smooth, quieter, lower down.....but it felt removed from what I like about the Forester. Not too agricultural and definitely not too 4x4y.... a sort of half-house. I thought the Legacy would be this..but it doesnt have as much 'soul' ....does this make sense?

Its another Forester I need isnt it?
I have a 95 legacy sedan... granted I'm sure it doesn't feel anything like the newer ones but here is a comparison between that and real lyte's 99 forester. My brakes are really sensitive and my gas isn't. My car has bucket seats and is much lower to the ground and only has a 2.2 Liter. Its a much rougher ride, but its suits me. However when driving the Foz the braking and gas sensitivity are reversed from mine.And when I'm going up a hill in the Foz I experience what Jeremy Clarkson would call POWERRRRR. Its an adjustment going from one to the other because they are completely different. My parents 97 legacy wagon is almost identical to my car. It all depends on what you like but if you're adjusted to a Foz... you'll probably prefer it.:biggrin:

·
Registered
2004 2.0 X
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I imagine your 95/97 Legacys generally would feel closer to the Foz than the newish Legacys though. Interms of suspension performance, noise, hearing linkages etc etc. The Legacy feels over-refined for me, removed from the car.

Ive always likened the Forester to a older mk2.5 MX5 (circa 2002-2005). Love them- you feel part of a car, its simple, retro-feel. I feel modern cars are too-cocooned, almost like dishwasher/washing machine appliances... :D

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,330 Posts
There are 3 trim models (here in the states anyway), each one has a VERY different feel. You kind of have to drive each one to really make a deciding factor on the car. I got the chance to drive three, each of the 3 engines available, and it was a real eye opener.....

I drove the 2.5i CVT (bland), 3.6R 5-Speed Auto (Mmm), and 2.5GT 6-speed Manual (WooHoo!). Each one was a COMPLETELY different vehicle IMO.

First off, all the cars drove amazingly well. Steering, handling, brakes, ride were all top notch, but my satisfaction of a car comes with the engine. I like having some grunt behind my right foot, so here's how it played out...

I drove the 170 hp CVT first. It felt alright, but was very bland. CVT worked good for being a CVT, but I've never liked them in any car, and the car felt underpowered with the mere 170hp. Overall excitement feeling: 2.5 out of 10

Next, I drove the 3.6R 5-Speed Auto. Silky smooth engine, decent gearbox. It had a lot of toque and pulled strong throughout the RPM range. It felt urgent down low like it just wanted to go. Overall excitement feeling: 7.5 out of 10

But the one I was saving for last was the 2.5GT with the 6-speed manual. (it's hard to find ANY new cars these days offering a manual still, sad). But this one had it! Let me just say that even though the difference in power between the GT and the 3.6R is only 9hp, the GT just felt like it had MUCH more power. It's probably just the way the turbo hits that makes it feel so much more alive, but overall, it pinned me in my seat and kept me giggling the whole time. Overall Excitement feeling: 9.5 out of 10

Each one has it's own purpose, and it's own market. The GT is for the petrol-heads for sure. Even though the new Legacy looks a little odd and heavy, it's the drive that will either make or break it for you. Once you drive either of the exciting ones (3.6R or 2.5GT), you'll find yourself falling for them. The 2.5GT is the one that has all the soul.
I agree with all of this, as I too have driven all of the models.

I currently own a 05 LGT, and I like the car a lot. The 10 models are growing on me quickly.

·
Registered
2017 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,463 Posts
2010 LGT is pimp. The quality and finish of the car are great. I look the looks and how it drove/handled/stopped.

That is my replacement for the Impreza in a couple of years.

·
Registered
2010 Legacy GT LTD 6 spd
974 Posts
I wasn't all that crazy about the looks of the new legacy, but when I got behind the wheel ( at the unveiling not to test drive...yet) of the gt, the look of that six speed shifter and those three beautiful pedals on the floor just felt right. And the looks are actually really good, especially considering all the room compared to my 07 legacy. If I could do it all over again I would have waited three years to get the new legacy. Too bad the wife can't/won't drive a standard.

But Hora I feel you on the over refinement when compared to the forester, I chose my 03 forester over an 07 outback for that exact reason, I just couldn't bring myself to buy such a pretty car to drive to work and haul things in. The forester is happy to do any of those things, and it does them well with no complaining. No regrets as far as my forester goes, 2nd best vehicle I have ever owned. (first is my first 4x4 dodge I still love that truck even though it is long gone, the only vehicle I have ever truly missed).

·
Registered
2004 2.0 X
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey hey, calm down guys- quit waiving your fancy model line up around :shake: :biggrin:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts